Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 12:36 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I don't think he claims to be a scientist. I read all 12 pages of his resource materials. Science is so divided on the subject, we are left to our own conclusions.
Science is not divided at all. There is a very string consensus among scientists that anthropogenic climate change is real and a threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 01:17 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Science is not divided at all. There is a very string consensus among scientists that anthropogenic climate change is real and a threat.
Yep. But that is at cross purposes with maximizing profit by burning hydrocarbons instead of an alternative energy source that doesn't produce CO2 emissions. This is no different from the tobacco industry fighting the "smoking causes cancer" data.

I'd love to use only renewables for energy but...

A) You have to be pretty affluent to do it
- Solar panels, windmills, batteries, and electric cars ain't cheap

B) The products you buy and install were typically manufactured and transported in very non-green ways.
- Photovoltaics largely come from China. I'm just exporting my pollution to China. Silicon tetrachloride is pretty nasty stuff. Ditto hydrofluoric acid. Ditto cadmium. Ditto all the coal burned in those Chinese electric plants.

I think the best most of us can do is try to minimize our carbon footprint and minimize the amount of stuff that ends up in the landfill. That smug guy with the huge house with all the solar panels on his roof and the electric car has a way worse carbon footprint than I do when you factor in manufacturing the photovoltaic panels.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:44 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
... That's not where we are today. We have solid scientific evidence that the Earth is warming right now and we are the cause of much of the warming.
The earth is warming, not our atmosphere?

Are soil temps raising?

I seem to think that I have only been hearing about air temps.

As the consensus has agreed "rain follows the plow".

Old 02-03-2017, 01:53 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Are soil temps raising?

You're not listening if you think only air temperatures are changing.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:25 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Are soil temps raising?

Earth, water and atmosphere temperatures are rising.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:26 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,877 times
Quote:
There isn't, but you will never know the truth.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post

There isn't, but you will never know the truth.
I feel that the above sentence is too cryptic and mystical for this discussion. Would you care to elaborate?

That is, if you've changed your mind again and decided that this discussion is not dead and no longer worth your while to contribute to it.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:44 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I feel that the above sentence is too cryptic and mystical for this discussion. Would you care to elaborate?

That is, if you've changed your mind again and decided that this discussion is not dead and no longer worth your while to contribute to it.

Nope, thread dead, no new sources to be cited by me.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:06 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm of the opinion that the health of the planet is indeed more important than individuals' imaginary 'rights'. The planet (or any other higher power) did not endow any individuals with rights of any kind. Any so-called rights that individuals think they should have over and above the holistic needs of the planet are rooted in gluttony and a constant greed for more resources to consume and are simply a figment of each individual consumer's imagination. The 'rights' do not exist.

I agree that climate change is self correcting but I think that resorting to the reasoning that eventually the world will run out of useable petroleum and coal is a poor reason that people use to excuse gluttony. If humans were not indulging their gluttony and using up resources beyond their practical needs then the resources would never run out and the health of the planet would not be impacted.

What gluttony are you referring too. Modern medicine? Clean water and affordable electricity? Cheap transportation that allows for the worldwide shipment of food that most can afford? I don't see any gluttony in any of that. The only gluttony I see are the same millionaire liberal wackadoos that continue to harp about saving the planet while sipping Champaign on their million dollar yauchts that burn 10 gallons of diesel to the mile, or ride in their private jets to their movie premiers while talking about the new Tesla they purchased to "save the planet". I have said time and again that I will purchase an electric vehicle when they cost the same as a comparable compact car. So the second Tesla makes a vehicle that costs $18,000.00 brand new I am on board. I would be ecstatic if my local utility switched to 100% renewable energy, as long as the price stays the same as I am paying now. My household income is 3k above the poverty line in my area. I simply can't afford this "saving mother earth" stuff. Neither can most of the worlds population. So coal is still going to be used in most of the world as long as it is cheap and plentiful. Gasoline and Diesel will continue to dominate transportation as long as the price is less than Ethanol and Bio-Diesel. That is the hard cold economic reality, and all of the yelling that the sky is falling isn't going to change that.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:35 PM

I said "..... If humans were not indulging their gluttony and using up resources beyond their practical needs then the resources would never run out and the health of the planet would not be impacted......"

I think that the concept of using up resources beyond practical needs should not require explanation. We are all consumers and we all consume or waste whatever we can afford. That over-consumption includes everything, including modern medicine, clean water, food, electricity, transportation ..... everything. Whether or not we actually need it, if we can afford it we consume and when we consume it we all do so beyond practical needs. That is gluttony.

Last edited by Zoisite; 02-03-2017 at 04:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living