Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 07:47 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

IMHO if you want to grow your own food, fuel, fiber, you need to avoid drought. Much of this nation is drought-prone and/or water-stressed.

We migrated to Maine to avoid drought.

A few homes in our township are not connected to grid [of that is your idea of 'off-grid']. My home has grid connection, though we also have solar-power, so we can select from one power source to the other at will.

Where is it easier? I assume that you mean in terms of red-tape. In this area there is no difference in permits if you are on-grid or off-grid.

Building a house has certain inherent 'difficulties' included regardless of what style of house you build. I built our house, it was a joy for me to do it.

Land is cheap. Taxes are low. Water access is not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Ive learned two things so far. Off the grid living has many definitions for one thing. Secondly that water is important not just sun for power. I wonder why more don't consider SE Oklahoma where it rains and still gets a lot of sun. Low cost resources with good soil for ones own use?
My Maternal grandparents had a farm in Oklahoma. My Paternal Grandparents had a farm in Missouri. When my parents were 6 and 8 years old the droughts got so bad in the Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Texas area that farming stopped. Most farmers could no longer make mortgages payments, so banks foreclosed on the farms. The people had to leave. There was a huge mass migration away from that drought striken area.

A few books were written about it.

A movie was filmed called 'The Grapes of Wrath'

My parents were tweens when they migrated West to become migratory farm workers, because of that drought.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:01 AM

6,546 posts, read 7,129,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Taos. Google earthships in Taos.
We came across this place after leaving Taos and crossing a super high bridge we didn't see coming. We had to stop and look around!
Attached Thumbnails
Off the grid locations in US-img_2867.jpg   Off the grid locations in US-img_2868.jpg  

Old 02-15-2017, 08:30 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My Maternal grandparents had a farm in Oklahoma. My Paternal Grandparents had a farm in Missouri. When my parents were 6 and 8 years old the droughts got so bad in the Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Texas area that farming stopped. Most farmers could no longer make mortgages payments, so banks foreclosed on the farms. The people had to leave. There was a huge mass migration away from that drought striken area.

A few books were written about it.

A movie was filmed called 'The Grapes of Wrath'

My parents were tweens when they migrated West to become migratory farm workers, because of that drought.
Far SE Oklahoma gets around 40 to 50 inches of rain a year. It is less prone to drought than many places. The drought impacts during the grapes of wrath period were more severe due to failed soil and crop management techniques and strategies no longer in place. Look it up,

Lake Hugo in SE Oklahoma has surplus water sufficient to supply NYC water needs several times each year. It is a solution DFW area is looking to for longer term water needs. Oklahoma State does not want to share water with Texas and has a law in place to avoid doing so but the Indian tribes whose water rights were granted before Oklahoma was a state and not denied when it did become a state. The Indians with these water rights are not opposed in some instances depending upon the deal. They like a deal proposed by Irving but do not like a deal proposed by Dallas water authority, two of the three major ones serving the DFW area now.

I don't really have a definition of off the grid that would exclude anything you said, your approach matches my loose idea of what off the grid is about.. self sufficiency to a great extent.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Most off grid places are really difficult to live in. That was most of Appalachia before the TVA.

Submariner is correct. Assure your water supply before anything else.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Far SE Oklahoma gets around 40 to 50 inches of rain a year. It is less prone to drought than many places. The drought impacts during the grapes of wrath period were more severe due to failed soil and crop management techniques and strategies no longer in place. Look it up,
I am already very familiar with what happened.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:07 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
I agree with Sub that central and northern Maine are great places to go off-grid. My definition of "off-grid" means not connected to the power grid, although connections to anything - water mains, gas lines, sewer pipes - would also qualify.

We live off-grid in northern Maine. We have a well and septic, but no grid electric as the power poles are too far away to make it economical. We have a small amount of rain catchment in addition to the well, because we have livestock which needs to be watered even if the well runs dry. We have 1,000 gallon cisterns with pumps that run on 12V or generator.

It is definitely not cheap to go this route. Everybody romanticizes about being "off-grid", often not even sure about what it means. We bought a 1,000 gallon propane tank that we fill once a year, in summer, to supply cooking and hot water. We heat with wood. Our lighting and refrigeration comes from solar panels. Add up the cost of solar panels, a battery bank, a generator or two, large cisterns, a big propane tank - and that will cost you many thousands$$$.

Also, you'll be hard-pressed to do this in any city. It's rural or nothing.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:49 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
It is not that hard to do. We were living off-grid in a small community in SE Utah for 30 years. Half an hour to a bustling tourist city with all the amenities.

We have a battery bank and several solar panels. Husband is not here right now to give you the technical details but we have all the usual conveniences and lack for nothing. We have a swamp cooler for a/c and Energy-Star appliances. No dryer but don't need one with how dry the air is.

We have a well and experience no hardship. Woodstove for heat. Propane for cooking/water heater. We lived simply but had everything most people had. Plus I had a horse. We were low-income and did just fine. The views in this area are unbelievable. Like Monument Valley. And the CO river 3 miles away.

There is power at the driveway now, but there wasn't back then.

It's for sale, OP! We retired overseas.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:47 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Santa Cruz Mountains in California...

Old 02-15-2017, 03:53 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
It's for sale, OP! We retired overseas.
That sounds very nice. Why give it up for overseas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living