Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 12:01 AM

927 posts, read 984,334 times

Advertisements

I am researching online for container homes complete with personal small solar plant. However the region I am living in has a sharp fluctuation in temperature. Aside from the solar charging plant, another thing I have to consider is how to insulate or how or where to find a good insulator material to be used in container in sub-zero temperature without compromising too much on space. During winter, the regional temperature can go down as much as -30 to -40 C in average possible more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 06:47 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,020,790 times
Closed cell spray on insulation

Old 04-16-2017, 01:44 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,415,113 times
If I were thinking about doing this, I would start with a factory insulated container. As a former truck driver in the 1970s, we called them "reefers" or refrigerated containers since they normally held a diesel-powered air conditioning unit on the front of the box. The non-refrigerated containers were called "dry" containers.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:01 PM

37,547 posts, read 61,623,322 times
We normally expect to see -20F every winter. Parts of this state see -30F.

Our house was a steel 'kit' building that I assembled. I sprayed 2 inches of urethane foam on the walls and across the ceiling, then I hung 9 inches of fiberglass batting, before installing the interior wall surfaces.

We seem to do fine with solar power. Remember to keep your battery-bank above freezing.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:27 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,257,110 times
With temps that low, I would suggest looking into a geo-thermal heat pump system. While it's -30 at the surface, the temperature is about 10C just a few feet below the surface.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
With temps that low, I would suggest looking into a geo-thermal heat pump system.
They are making a lot of improvements with heat pumps.

Recently a couple SC corporations came up here and built a few 200-unit complexes for the State University students. The first winter they saw the limits of heat pumps.

The lastest is the mini-split with variable speed compressor, those are much better. I know a few people who are able to use them for the shoulders. But having warmth in the shoulders does not equal heat in the winter.

Heat-pumps that take you through the Spring and Fall, will greatly reduce your over all heat expenses.

Quote:
... While it's -30 at the surface, the temperature is about 10C just a few feet below the surface.
"just a few feet"???

Really are we talking 50 feet?

Frost in my town goes to 4 feet. Dig down 4 feet in January and it is solid ice, and we do not see -30F here.

Heat pumps are best used in regions that do not need heat.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:16 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,933,000 times
Geo Thermal heat pumps are about the most efficient Heating system you can buy. Kwong 7 is right, about 8 feet below the surface the ground temps are in the 50's in almost all regions of the US. But they are pretty spendy.

We have Air source heat pumps and it got to a low of -25 last winter. We stayed toasty in a well insulated house.

But I have researched Container homes and in cold climates they just don't make sense. You still have to insulate them and furr them out to hold sheetrock for the interior and all you are saving is outside Sheathing.

They are no longer cheap, going for about 3500 to 400 each. For that you could have built the frame.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:34 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,020,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Geo Thermal heat pumps are about the most efficient Heating system you can buy. Kwong 7 is right, about 8 feet below the surface the ground temps are in the 50's in almost all regions of the US. But they are pretty spendy.

We have Air source heat pumps and it got to a low of -25 last winter. We stayed toasty in a well insulated house.

But I have researched Container homes and in cold climates they just don't make sense. You still have to insulate them and furr them out to hold sheetrock for the interior and all you are saving is outside Sheathing.

They are no longer cheap, going for about 3500 to 400 each. For that you could have built the frame.

( 3rd paragraph).........all you are saving is outside sheathing ...

Worth repeating !

Old 04-27-2017, 09:06 PM

749 posts, read 740,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcd951 View Post
I am researching online for container homes complete with personal small solar plant. However the region I am living in has a sharp fluctuation in temperature. Aside from the solar charging plant, another thing I have to consider is how to insulate or how or where to find a good insulator material to be used in container in sub-zero temperature without compromising too much on space. During winter, the regional temperature can go down as much as -30 to -40 C in average possible more.
Unless it's free, skip the "container home." Build a small home framing with 2x6 studs (it'll cost about the same as the container) and you can spray in closed-cell insulation. If you want additional insulation, you can add polystyrene insulation on the exterior, under your siding. Your finished product will be much nicer, and will probably cost less.

Just remember that the overwhelming majority of heat is lost through your ceiling, your windows, and your doors.

Last edited by Volvo Driver; 04-27-2017 at 09:18 PM..

Old 04-27-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
Skip the "container home." Build a small home framing with 2x6 studs (it'll cost about the same as the container) and you can spray in closed-cell insulation. Your finished product will be much nicer, and will probably cost less.
I am not sure the 2x6s provide any benefit once you consider thermal-bridging.

Obviously I like spray-on foam, I did it. But foam is expensive. With one inch of foam you gain all the benefits of foam. To go over 2 inches you are just adding cost with little benefit.

2 inches of foam is clearly not enough, time to add some other insulation that is cheap. Introducing fiberglass batting [otherwise called itch].

2 inches of foam and a foot of itch is ideal. But you must stay away from expensive wood stick construction.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living