Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 12:14 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
we didn't move from the stone age because we ran short of rocks.
But we didn't stop using rocks either, now did we?

And we have actually found hundreds of more uses for them, too.

Dumb analogy. Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 04:34 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
But we didn't stop using rocks either, now did we?

And we have actually found hundreds of more uses for them, too.

Dumb analogy. Try again.
Maybe lumps of coal will become decorator items for fashionable homes, because we aren't going to be burning very much of it to generate electricity in about 30 years.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Maybe lumps of coal will become decorator items for fashionable homes, because we aren't going to be burning very much of it to generate electricity in about 30 years.
I hate the use of coal.

You just ASSumed I was one of those guys, huh?

I live in the heart of Appalachia. I have family that are/were coal miners. And I feel for them for losing their jobs. I don't think anyone of them really cares about whether the coal is unhealthy or not (even though some suffer from it in varying degrees). They simply look at it as a way of putting food on the table, clothes on their back, and a roof over their head.

I'd love an EV, but I can't afford it.
I'm really excited about Musk's PV shingles, but I can't afford that either.
I firmly believe that ICE autos will be a minority on the roads 25 years from now. Maybe 35. And I hope they are.

But I have to live in the day. And that means I'll use the cheapest fuel I can until something else better comes along (& it will). Just like 95% of the rest of America will do.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I hate the use of coal.

You just ASSumed I was one of those guys, huh?

I live in the heart of Appalachia. I have family that are/were coal miners. And I feel for them for losing their jobs. I don't think anyone of them really cares about whether the coal is unhealthy or not (even though some suffer from it in varying degrees). They simply look at it as a way of putting food on the table, clothes on their back, and a roof over their head.

I'd love an EV, but I can't afford it.
I'm really excited about Musk's PV shingles, but I can't afford that either.
I firmly believe that ICE autos will be a minority on the roads 25 years from now. Maybe 35. And I hope they are.

But I have to live in the day. And that means I'll use the cheapest fuel I can until something else better comes along (& it will). Just like 95% of the rest of America will do.
We need to help miners displaced from the coal industry like we help tobacco farmers. Much of Appalachia has a reasonable wind resource so there is a future in renewables, that is healthier for the workers and less destructive to the environment. There are actually so few coal miners left in this country, that it isn't much of a problem. My electricity mix in DC is 50% wind and some months I actually save money. PV and wind are entering a zone of head to head competitiveness with fossil. We can have affordable, clean energy.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
We need to help miners displaced from the coal industry like we help tobacco farmers. Much of Appalachia has a reasonable wind resource so there is a future in renewables, that is healthier for the workers and less destructive to the environment. There are actually so few coal miners left in this country, that it isn't much of a problem. My electricity mix in DC is 50% wind and some months I actually save money. PV and wind are entering a zone of head to head competitiveness with fossil. We can have affordable, clean energy.
This summer, we spent some time in Dublin and Edinburgh. When we took tours throughout the countryside, I was surprised at the number of windmills that I saw. And I'm wondering why people actually complain about how they affect the vistas. I actually thought they looked rather neat. I can imagine strings of these going up and down the Appalachian Mountains from Maine all the way to Georgia. And in certain places, really would add to the view. I wonder how much electricity they can generate, how much they could add to the grid for areas such as mine, all up and down the range? I, for one, would favor this as a supplement.

We love our hydroelectric in my neck of the woods. But occasionally the need to burn oil arises when water levels drop. I wonder how much the wind could offset that need.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:12 AM

7,234 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
This summer, we spent some time in Dublin and Edinburgh. When we took tours throughout the countryside, I was surprised at the number of windmills that I saw. And I'm wondering why people actually complain about how they affect the vistas. I actually thought they looked rather neat. I can imagine strings of these going up and down the Appalachian Mountains from Maine all the way to Georgia. .
De gustibus non est disputandum. You can't argue about taste.

Many of us would rather have the few remaining natural vistas left natural.

Fifty miles SW of Chicago is the Braidwood nuclear power facility. It's lost in the middle of a surrounding woods and can't be seen at all from any ground based vantage point outside the grounds themselves. OTOH- just a few miles away among the very flat farm country of NE IL are dozens upon dozens of wind mills stretching as far as the eye can see and visible from 10 miles away, to me, ruining the skyline of tall corn interspersed with stands of trees and picturesque farmsteads. We are, after all, not talking about old, wooden Dutch windmills on the Zuider Zee.

To each his own.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
This summer, we spent some time in Dublin and Edinburgh. When we took tours throughout the countryside, I was surprised at the number of windmills that I saw. And I'm wondering why people actually complain about how they affect the vistas. I actually thought they looked rather neat. I can imagine strings of these going up and down the Appalachian Mountains from Maine all the way to Georgia. And in certain places, really would add to the view. I wonder how much electricity they can generate, how much they could add to the grid for areas such as mine, all up and down the range? I, for one, would favor this as a supplement.

We love our hydroelectric in my neck of the woods. But occasionally the need to burn oil arises when water levels drop. I wonder how much the wind could offset that need.
West of the Mississippi River the landscape is dotted with wind farms every few miles. They are no uglier than utility poles or cell towers. I don't think we want them in our national parks but elsewhere, the more the merrier.

overall we want about 20% wind.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:48 AM

btw nuke mavens. One of the two active nuclear construction projects in the US just pulled the plug due to uncontrollable cost over runs.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:41 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Au contraire.

Our fleet of nuclear reactors is nearing retirement, and most of the lost capacity will be replaced with natural gas and coal.

In 30 years we will have burned through most of our natural gas reserves, and we will have to go back to using mostly coal for electricity. And home heating. It'll be just like the 1950s.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Au contraire.

Our fleet of nuclear reactors is nearing retirement, and most of the lost capacity will be replaced with natural gas and coal.

In 30 years we will have burned through most of our natural gas reserves, and we will have to go back to using mostly coal for electricity. And home heating. It'll be just like the 1950s.
New coal plants are not being built. Twice as much renewable capacity is being added as natural gas. Just the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living