Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:48 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

I don't own a car. However, when I get one in the next few years, I hope to be able to get a Smart Car. If not, definitely a hybrid- probably a hybrid Camry. It's not even an issue of gas prices, it's the gas period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 08:01 PM

520 posts, read 1,853,797 times
I've been driving a Toyota Prius for the past year. I put 30k miles on the car in that time (commute is 57 miles each way) and have averaged 48 mpg over the year. What I like about the Prius is that it gets great gas mileage and can hold a ton of stuff. I was able to fit a 32"x8' door in the car with no trouble at all and I could still carry a passenger.

A plugin hybrid would be cool. I would buy an all electric vehicle if it had a decent range (enough to get to work and back).

Old 03-19-2008, 08:06 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
If gas goes to $10 a gallon, even a hybrid wouldn't make long commutes from the suburbs to the city possible. Living close to one's place of work, shopping, and play areas is the only real way to become energy dependent.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:27 PM

967 posts, read 4,786,120 times
We have a PRIUS and love it. We bought it at Westboro Toyota and the fellow who helped us was terrific and non-salesy. I almost bought a Honda because I thought the PRIUS was too small but it turned out to be quite roomy (and the people at the Honda dealership were surprisingly a pain in the neck. I always thought they had a good reputation).

My friend is getting the Camry Hybrid, which I had considered but the gas mileage isn't so great with that.

I don't know if an electric car that's available on the east coast. Does anyone else?

Old 03-20-2008, 11:19 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
There is no doubt that I would buy a hybrid or some sort of alternative fuel vehicle if I could afford it.

Safety is my primary factor in buying a vehicle (as I survived two potentially fatal car accidents when I owned Volvo's) & fuel efficiency/environment are the second factors.

Given that I am about to buy a vehicle after being without one for a couple years, anyone have any suggestions for me based upon the criteria above & a $15,000 cap?

Oh, yeah, major disability issues so the comfort & adjustability of the driver's seat are key as well...

thinky
There's a lot of compact sedans that go under 15k including the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, Chevy Aveo, Toyota Yaris, etc. and they should get decent mileage. You will need to check out their crash ratings for the safety part.

cars.com: Buying Guides | New Passenger Car Prices
Safercar.gov

-chuck22b

Old 03-20-2008, 11:37 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
There's a lot of compact sedans that go under 15k including the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, Chevy Aveo, Toyota Yaris, etc. and they should get decent mileage. You will need to check out their crash ratings for the safety part.

cars.com: Buying Guides | New Passenger Car Prices
Safercar.gov

-chuck22b
I was just reading last night online about the Prius'. I'm really not looking to buy a brand new car so that should make my price range a bit easier. Some people claim that the extra money you spend on cars like a Prius is not really recooped for quite some time but that seems untrue given the cost of fuel these days! I'm also a bit concerned about the life of this battery in these cars - when they do need to be replaced (assuming that's possible/realistic) how ungodly expensive is that?

I'm a bit bummed to see that Prius offers a 150,000 mile / 10 year battery warranty in California but only a 100,000 / 8 year warranty here in MN - given the fact that I NEED to buy a car before arriving in CA in May!

Anyhow - thanx for the input...

Old 03-20-2008, 12:04 PM

6 posts, read 14,241 times
Default Hybrid

I drive a Toyota Prius. Great mileage, though pricey to buy. The biggest problem I have with it is that the whole exterior is plastic and the slightest bump either creases it or removes the paint. Handles well in most weather. I would love to go with a plug-in, and would be very happy to see US manufacturers coming out with a good product.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:10 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
I am anxiously awaiting a hybrid mini-van. I know Toyota has one in Europe-but not here. I heard it gets 40 mpg. I need the seating of the mini-van, and I'm not interested in the huge Highlander-hybrid or not.

I have driven a friend's Prius and it is pretty neat.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:51 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,253 times
I've been torn between the idea of a hybrid vs. biodiesel.

At the time I bought my car (4 yrs ago) I didn't have enough money for a hybrid so I just bought the most fuel efficient car I could afford. I'm hoping that when its time for my next car that I'll be able to either go hybrid or biodiesel. I think that if the plug in hybrids become a reality, I would prefer that because I think it will be even more efficient than the biodiesel. I wonder if they'll ever create a hybrid biodiesel engine.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:01 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,747 times
I am curious because people like the idea of a plug-in car charged by your electrical hookup. Even in these silly green commercials of the future they depict people plugging in the car at night.

I don't know much about it but, if everyone plugged their car in wouldn't that create a huge increase in demand on the local electric company that generally produce their electric from coal,gas,oil, nuclear? Even at peak periods in some areas because of increased AC use the larger areas barely handle those periodic surges.

Just curious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living