Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 02:34 AM

7,378 posts, read 5,303,692 times

Advertisements

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...trys-arrogance

I post this not to create a controversy, but only because it's an interesting picture and could segue into a discussion of several topics: the problem in economics of planning production based on inaccurate estimates of demand, the problems of over-population, or maybe the problem of why there isn't more of a demand for bikes in urban areas where the convenience and low cost of bike travel is so obvious.

I wonder why they didn't just donate the bikes to the needy instead of junking them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 08:11 AM

698 posts, read 572,137 times
When people begin by telling us what they DON'T want to do, it tends to be a safe bet that that's EXACTLY what they want to do.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:20 AM

14,734 posts, read 15,210,609 times
The pictures of that pile of bikes is interesting but honestly I don't think that pile is very big considering how much bigger it could be with a population like China and millions upon millions of bikes being so common there. I think that pile is probably a drop in the bucket for China. In spite of having so many bikes I bet China doesn't have an epidemic of road killed animals like we have on this continent. I'm guessing those bikes will get melted down and then there won't be a lot of metal there to show for it. They are mostly just made out of thin walled hollow tubes after all.

But it made me think about what we see so much more of right here in North America. Thousands times thousands times thousands of motor vehicles that go to the wreckers, get crushed and flattened and then loaded onto boxcars and barges. Every year.

What happens to all those flattened motor vehicles of ours once the boxcars and barges get to their destinations with them?

Old 11-28-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

What happens to all those flattened motor vehicles of ours once the boxcars and barges get to their destinations with them.
About 80% of the materials in US autos are recycled, https://www.thebalance.com/auto-recy...igures-2877933

Old 11-28-2017, 07:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,861 posts, read 81,892,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...trys-arrogance

I post this not to create a controversy, but only because it's an interesting picture and could segue into a discussion of several topics: the problem in economics of planning production based on inaccurate estimates of demand, the problems of over-population, or maybe the problem of why there isn't more of a demand for bikes in urban areas where the convenience and low cost of bike travel is so obvious.

I wonder why they didn't just donate the bikes to the needy instead of junking them?
The needy are not likely to have the skills or money to convert them so that they are usable without having the App to unlock them, and a bankrupt company is not going to pay for the conversions. I find it interesting because after the docking bike failure here in Seattle, there are 3 companies with the same dockless bike rentals here. Even last summer with good weather it was rare to see someone using them.
I have no idea how they can all survive financially with all those bikes just parked around the city on sidewalks in the rain.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
About 80% of the materials in US autos are recycled, https://www.thebalance.com/auto-recy...igures-2877933

Wow! That answers a lot of questions. Thanks for posting that Guido, that was really interesting.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,909,236 times
China use to use a lot of bicycles, then they could afford cars, then they figured out cars were better than bikes, so they tossed bikes aside for cars.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:22 PM

There are 430 million people in China who own bicycles. That's just a little under 1/3rd of China's total population.
History of bicycles in China --> https://www.chinatravel.com/facts/china-bicycle.htm

In 2016 there were 194 million people in China who owned cars. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ners-in-china/

Old 12-06-2017, 08:31 PM

7,037 posts, read 6,963,541 times
I walk to work every morning in Beijing and it is true, there are a lot of bikes (mostly) parked on the sidewalk. Some are just dumped and some have fallen over blocking the walking areas. I think the problem is that the whole thing began by needing a deposit of 300RMB and then the usage fee of a small amount. Now, there does not appear to need any deposit so a) people dont care about the bike and b) there is no-one to clear-up the dumped and fallen-over bikes. After the initial companies started up, I suspect there was an investigation by the authorities into the millions of RMB which were deposited by the first customers.

Overnight when people do not need their bikes, there are a lot and our compound now has several areas for them to be parked which does not interfere with perdestrians walking to their apartment building. That is good, and I suspect that it just needs a little while for the hundreds of bikes which are around, to be integrated into society. Mostly people do abide by these parking areas.

However, out on the street near the bus stop for example, there is a terrible mess in the morning before people have taken them to ride to work. Of course, being China, people leave them all over the place and there is no-one to regulate where folks leave them.

Actually, I am pleased that some of the major companies have gone bust since there probably are too many on the streets. Almost every day I see small vans taking bikes from one area of the city to another.

In other countries I feel that there will be tighter regulations put in place. It IS a good idea but the practicalities have to be sorted out to allow the idea to work properly. Maybe China is the guineapig for the idea and other countries will look at the problems we had/have and make a better roll-out of the hire bike facility.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
... Of course, being China,..... there is no-one to regulate where folks leave them.

Thanks for the interesting post and insight into an aspect of life in China.

How ironic that the last large Communist country has very little regulation... As I've said before about life in America-- nobody under 60 y/o here understands what freedom is.

But I digress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living