Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 02:02 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,029,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Think about the headache and cost of taking all of those panels off the roof when the roof leaks or the needs to be replaced. Not only do you need roofing contractors but now you need solar installers. I understand about the space but I never thought panels should be on top of a roof. It's asking for trouble.

But yeah if roofing costs/repairs are covered in the lease than I am with you.
Around here the solar contractor removes and replaces the panels at no cost to the building owner. It's really not a big deal. It takes about a day on each end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 02:42 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,840,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Around here the solar contractor removes and replaces the panels at no cost to the building owner. It's really not a big deal. It takes about a day on each end.
Yup.

In most states, and at the federal level for very large projects, to get new capacity a power utility has to jump through a great many hoops. It really seems to me that one of the cheapest ways for a utility to increase capacity would be leasing the space on top of big boxes. Compared to what they have to do in order to build a new dam or a new generating plant, and how much those cost, it really seems like a no-brainer to me.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:23 PM

12,946 posts, read 9,209,330 times
Is it financially viable without subsidies? What is the life cycle cost vs revenue? Does it produce enough power to be viable?

Old 01-10-2018, 03:49 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,479,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Is there an inspection on the new roof? Does the building department have to do that before the solar panels are reinstalled? Then is there another inspection for the panels? Just wondering as we have always done our own and not on a roof(anymore).

Old 01-10-2018, 04:08 PM

37,615 posts, read 61,711,942 times
I attended a Solar workshop yesterday. This group is trying to encourage people to form Co-Ops to build Solar Farms.

A group of people agree to a contract. One land-owner agrees to host the photovoltiac panels. The panels are grid-tied net-metering, so all power generated goes onto the grid. Utility company 'credits' are then given to all Co-Op share-holders.

I was talking to my Dw today about it, we could easily host a solar-farm here on our land.

In this state [Maine] the law limits solar-farm to no more than 9 share-holders. At this workshop they were saying that to really work you need 50 to 100 members.

A solar farm with 110kwatts of panels, would cost around $319k.
If the Co-Op had 10 members, and assuming that each member household consumes around 800kWh/month [10,800kWh/year the national average].
it would cost each member household about $31.9k to form such a solar farm.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:23 PM

199 posts, read 142,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

In this state [Maine] the law limits solar-farm to no more than 9 share-holders. At this workshop they were saying that to really work you need 50 to 100 members.

That sucks.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:35 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,173,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jate88 View Post
How come we can't get more solar power by having a non-profit put solar panels on homes and businesses for free in exchange for being able to sell the excess electricity? The business or home can then get the money back in a tax write off. Then you increase tax revenue by putting solar power plant businesses in the area.
Okay, let me play a Devil's Advocate here.

Which theory of solar power is one using to get these benefits and then, where does that leave the person who is using a different theory of solar power who can't get the benefits? Does the government get to say which theories are allowed and which are not?

Old 01-11-2018, 04:40 AM

7,378 posts, read 5,300,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I attended a Solar workshop yesterday. This group is trying to encourage people to form Co-Ops to build Solar Farms.

A group of people agree to a contract. One land-owner agrees to host the photovoltiac panels. The panels are grid-tied net-metering, so all power generated goes onto the grid. Utility company 'credits' are then given to all Co-Op share-holders.

I was talking to my Dw today about it, we could easily host a solar-farm here on our land.

A solar farm with 110kwatts of panels, would cost around $319k.
If the Co-Op had 10 members, and assuming that each member household consumes around 800kWh/month [10,800kWh/year the national average].
it would cost each member household about $31.9k to form such a solar farm.
a) average American household uses 900kW-hr/ month, so your farm won't produce enough to supply the shareholders. https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=97&t=3 Remember an installation rated @ 110kW doesn't really produce anywhere near that. PV panels ratings and real output (Check out the paper sited here for SoCal-- only 50-75% of nominal capacity.)

b) You're in Maine- good deal of rainfall. Where does the run-off go? More under-estimated expense to dig ponds, rain gutters, etc

c) loss of habitat in your biologically rich location. Do you really want to do that?

Old 01-11-2018, 06:46 AM

37,615 posts, read 61,711,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
a) average American household uses 900kW-hr/ month, so your farm won't produce enough to supply the shareholders. https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=97&t=3 Remember an installation rated @ 110kW doesn't really produce anywhere near that. PV panels ratings and real output (Check out the paper sited here for SoCal-- only 50-75% of nominal capacity.)

b) You're in Maine- good deal of rainfall. Where does the run-off go? More under-estimated expense to dig ponds, rain gutters, etc

c) loss of habitat in your biologically rich location. Do you really want to do that?
I am aware of how solar power works. Our farm is off-grid on solar power, with 4400 watts of photovoltaic panels. More than enough to power our home, and a larger system than average. Also much lower priced than net-metering systems.

'Loss of habitat' and rainfall, I had not considered those parts of it. Every pig shed needs a roof, is that considered a loss of habitat also?

Run-off runs off I am not sure of what you think anyone is going to do about it. Nor why anyone would dig ponds for it. Rain seeps into the ground and feeds the shallow water table. I do not have any rain gutters, in this region a rain gutter is just another thing that must be heated. Otherwise they fill with ice and form a massive weight to rip off the building. I see many big warehouses, etc, that have rain gutters, and they generally have heat-tape in the gutters to reduce the weight and prevent damage.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:54 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,029,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Is there an inspection on the new roof? Does the building department have to do that before the solar panels are reinstalled? Then is there another inspection for the panels? Just wondering as we have always done our own and not on a roof(anymore).
Depends upon local building codes. Do roof replacements in your area require inspection? I don't believe they do here. The original pv installation would require a permit and inspection, but I don't think removal and replacement of the panels would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living