Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 03:54 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,998,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
I question your statement. An electrical license is not required to install a do it yourself solar system on one's own property. Because of your post, I verified this with both the State of California, and my City Permits Division. You should check where you live. In addition, comparing a system that I own completely, to one where I'd have to lease it for eternity from the grid is not an apples to apples comparison. Plus on a DIY system, I could subcontract out any portion.

What source do you have for that price, and how do you handle the wiring?
IREC's database says a licensed contractor is required. Have you got a link to a California site that waives that requirement?

https://irecusa.org/workforce-educat...sing-database/

And I believe you could "subcontract" the electrical work to a licensed electrician. There may still be building permit issues with roof mounted solar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 07:17 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
In this state homeowners have a 'right' to install solar power systems to power their homes.

But when it comes to net-metering, only state-licensed installers can do it. Licensed electricians are specifically forbidden from working on solar power systems.

Maine : SolarResourceGuide.org

Old 01-27-2018, 08:11 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I could be wrong but my guess is government subsidies...which eventually comes from taxpayers. So yeah we kind of end up paying for it anyway.
You are correct. As well as rental fees from the homeowner. Generally, the panels are a Rent to Own scheme. One guy I know was really excited about his "free" electricity. The hook he found out is the rental fee is more than his average electric bill. But the electricity is free.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:55 AM

746 posts, read 1,325,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
IREC's database says a licensed contractor is required. Have you got a link to a California site that waives that requirement?
I see nothing on that site that states a licensed contractor is required. Perhaps you could quote and provide a link to any section that says people can't build their own solar systems on their property, and/or help others to do the same thing, as long as no payment greater than a minimum amount is involved.

Quote:
And I believe you could "subcontract" the electrical work to a licensed electrician. There may still be building permit issues with roof mounted solar.
Wrong again. I could do the electrical work myself, and if I wanted to, could subcontract to someone else but that is not a requirement. I spoke with the City Permits Division and they said my impression is correct. There are permits required either way, but no requirement of having a licensed electrician.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
I see nothing on that site that states a licensed contractor is required. Perhaps you could quote and provide a link to any section that says people can't build their own solar systems on their property, and/or help others to do the same thing, as long as no payment greater than a minimum amount is involved.

Wrong again. I could do the electrical work myself, and if I wanted to, could subcontract to someone else but that is not a requirement. I spoke with the City Permits Division and they said my impression is correct. There are permits required either way, but no requirement of having a licensed electrician.
From the first lines of the California requirements.

California
Licensing (general)

A contractor’s license is required: a C-46 Solar Contractors License or “A†General Contractors or“B†General Building Contractors License

Old 01-28-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In this state homeowners have a 'right' to install solar power systems to power their homes.

But when it comes to net-metering, only state-licensed installers can do it. Licensed electricians are specifically forbidden from working on solar power systems.

Maine : SolarResourceGuide.org
Having a "right to install" is not the same as having a right to do the work in violation of building codes. In many rural areas there are no specific building codes, so on a farm you may well be able to DIY. In most incorporated areas building permits are required and major electrical work requires licensed electricians. There won't be a pv exception to that. A PV installation is way more complex than the average house wiring system.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Having a "right to install" is not the same as having a right to do the work in violation of building codes. In many rural areas there are no specific building codes, so on a farm you may well be able to DIY. In most incorporated areas building permits are required and major electrical work requires licensed electricians. There won't be a pv exception to that.
The state of Maine is drawn on a 'plate' or gridwork of 986 townships. 432 are Organized [or incorporated] townships for the purpose of much higher taxes. 555 are Unorganized Townships with much lower taxes. [432 + 554 = 986]

This forms the make-up of Maine. Roughly 56% of Maine townships are Unorganized, and 44% are incorporated in some manner and are considered Organized.

Only a minority of townships in Maine are 'organized' and among those I have been told that only 4 townships have adopted the 2009 'National building Code'.

Quote:
... A PV installation is way more complex than the average house wiring system.
This statement is far removed from any shared reality.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:54 AM

746 posts, read 1,325,666 times
Quote:
From the first lines of the California requirements.
California Licensing (general) A contractor’s license is required
"The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) protects California consumers by licensing and regulating the state's construction industry."

I'm not in the construction industry, so you fail. Try again.

Quote:
Having a "right to install" is not the same as having a right to do the work in violation of building codes.
Everyone has to follow building codes, which has nothing to do with having a contractor's license. I can do the work myself on my home, or I can personally contract it out to others to do, without my having a contractor's license, either way, my choice. If you were in real estate you'd be telling people they can't sell their own homes without having a real estate license. Too bad the contractor's board doesn't regulate the spreading of false information.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The state of Maine is drawn on a 'plate' or gridwork of 986 townships. 432 are Organized [or incorporated] townships for the purpose of much higher taxes. 555 are Unorganized Townships with much lower taxes. [432 + 554 = 986]

This forms the make-up of Maine. Roughly 56% of Maine townships are Unorganized, and 44% are incorporated in some manner and are considered Organized.

Only a minority of townships in Maine are 'organized' and among those I have been told that only 4 townships have adopted the 2009 'National building Code'.

This statement is far removed from any shared reality.
I'm not sure Maine is a model for anyone else here.

As a professional electrical engineer for over 35 years, I can assure you that the professionals in the field including those who write codes consider distribute generation a significant complexity.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure Maine is a model for anyone else here.

As a professional electrical engineer for over 35 years, I can assure you that the professionals in the field including those who write codes consider distribute generation a significant complexity.
The complexity of interstate power distribution is a different topic from the 'complexity' of wiring PV panels to a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living