Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 06:34 PM

46,941 posts, read 25,969,275 times

Advertisements

HD's problem is that they've been selling image, not so much motorcycles, for decades.

Those who like the HD image are unlikely to look for an electric bike. And those who look for an electric bike are unlikely to have an interest in the HD image. Bless them, they're doing what they can, but I'd bail if I held stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 05:24 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Just a thought, but, wouldn’t a silent bike make an already risky proposition even riskier?
Good riding skills and a head on a swivel reduce risk, noise has nothing to do with it.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:22 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,988,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
HD's problem is that they've been selling image, not so much motorcycles, for decades.

Those who like the HD image are unlikely to look for an electric bike. And those who look for an electric bike are unlikely to have an interest in the HD image. Bless them, they're doing what they can, but I'd bail if I held stock.
That same reasoning would imply that the Porsche Cayenne would be a flop. Opps.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
That same reasoning would imply that the Porsche Cayenne would be a flop. Opps.
Not so sure I agree there. Plenty of crossover between people who shop for SUVs and who think Porsches are cool bits of engineering. There's a complementary effect - the Porsche badge makes the SUV cooler, the SUV bit makes the Porsche more practical.

The cultivated HD image is that of holding on to tradition, staying authentic and not giving a damn what the rest of the world thinks. (Not saying that matches reality, but it seems to be what they market.) Electrical vehicles are about embracing new technology and being environmentally conscious.

Seems to me that there would be very little commonality between target audiences, but I have been wrong before.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:27 PM

715 posts, read 1,149,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

I'd have to agree. That's probably why their line of Buell Motorcycles failed. And HD killed the V-ROD line too. (Which were the only HD motorcycles that interested me.)

But a Harley Davidson electric bike? They would have to attract a whole new generation of younger bikers. They failed with Buell and the V-ROD. Maybe the third time is the charm?

Maybe they should just stick with their niche - real Made in the USA American cruisers. Improve the bikes. And stop with the not-made-in-the-USA stuff. It's diluting their brand. I mean, if its not a real made-in-the-USA Harley, people might as well buy the reliable Japanese cruiser clones.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:52 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I'm just having a problem getting my head wrapped around the concept of the Hell's Angels gliding around on silent "hogs"

Old 05-30-2018, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 1,461 times
it will be a monster that motorcycle

Old 05-31-2018, 11:57 AM

7,239 posts, read 5,117,125 times
A few eclectic thoughts on the subject from someone who's been riding for 50+ yrs. I had the only Harley in Italy when I toured there in 1977. My bike was my only transportation, including winters in Chicago, for several yrs.

Don't compare HD to any foreign brands. They're engineered to fill different niches. Each does well in its niche.

Harleys were built to externally leak oil on the chains back in the 30s. The reputation has stuck, undeservedly, all this time. My bike is 21 y/o. It doesn't leak. One year we were lined up waiting for the annual Freedom Run (1000s of bikes) outside Chicago. I brought along a handful of rice and piled it under my buddy's Honda. That got loads of laughs from passersby and I bet 100 stopped to take a picture.

Loud pipes do save lives. Many times I've approached numb minded drivers in cages who suddenly pick their heads up and jerk their eyes into their mirror site line as I goose the throttle to warn them I'm there. The deep rumble of older HDs can be felt before it's heard by cagers.

The Harley V-Rod is on permanent recall- because it was so UGLY.

The Buell offered many engineering innovations & advantages over its competitors, but as others have noted above, image/psychological factors have a great deal to do with purchases. The crotch-rocket snobs didn't want to associate with Harley, just like the Hog snobs don't like the rice burners.

For Eco-Freaks, remember we've had 100mpg vehicles available for decades: the 50cc scooter. Great for around town commuting. Why don't we all have one?

I applaud HD's venture into new, electric technology. It won't replace the big displacement Hog, but it'll have its niche. I think they made a big mistake in discontinuing their smaller bike line 40 yrs ago, excluding a huge potential market.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
One year we were lined up waiting for the annual Freedom Run (1000s of bikes) outside Chicago. I brought along a handful of rice and piled it under my buddy's Honda. That got loads of laughs from passersby and I bet 100 stopped to take a picture.
Loud pipes do save lives.
The crotch-rocket snobs didn't want to associate with Harley, just like the Hog snobs don't like the rice burners.
I think you may have demonstrated why Harley marketing has some issues with reaching a younger crowd...

Old 05-31-2018, 12:50 PM

25,558 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by will76 View Post
it will be a monster that motorcycle
I think they would do better with an eTrike. Especially if they took some ideas from Polaris Slingshot.

If I were CEO I would take a long look at making the old Harley truly a part of history and in 10 or 15 years drop them completely in favor of the eTrike.
Or, for long trips the hTrike, which would be hybrid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living