Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 10:53 AM

47,017 posts, read 26,075,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
One question, tho: unless you're old or otherwise decrepit, why bother with the motor? Just pedal a bike.
Hills. I'm in fairly good shape for my age (and my bike is not electric, thankyouverymuch), but I can see the argument for having a bit of assistance and not arriving sweaty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Are you even a biker?
I am not a "biker", but I do ride, have since, oh - 1996?

And I consider the loud-pipe argument complete BS.

Visibility is what saves you, and if the loud-pipe contingent wore neon-colored riding gear (or just proper safety gear at all), used headlight modulators etc., I'd be inclined to listen to their argument that they regret inconveniencing those on or close to the road, but it's to ensure their own safety. However - they seem to delight in wearing dull colors, street clothes and the smallest helmets they can find. So I don't buy the "It's for my safety" hand-wringing at all.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:58 PM

7,297 posts, read 5,181,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I am not a "biker", but I do ride, have since, oh - 1996?

And I consider the loud-pipe argument complete BS.

Visibility is what saves you, and if the loud-pipe contingent wore neon-colored riding gear (or just proper safety gear at all), used headlight modulators etc., I'd be inclined to listen to their argument that they regret inconveniencing those on or close to the road, but it's to ensure their own safety. However - they seem to delight in wearing dull colors, street clothes and the smallest helmets they can find. So I don't buy the "It's for my safety" hand-wringing at all.

Sounds good, but completely wrong.

Years ago we were discussing this on a MC forum. One guy gave an excellent argument for why visibility isn't a big factor: "I drive a school bus-- 40 ft long, 10 ft high and painted bright yellow. People see me OK-- and they still pull out in front of me.

One reason (among many) accident rates are higher for crotch rockets than for cruisers is that their pipes are angled upwards-- harder to hear. As I said, I know from countless experiences that a MC's exhaust sound is a positive safety factor.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Years ago we were discussing this on a MC forum. One guy gave an excellent argument for why visibility isn't a big factor: "I drive a school bus-- 40 ft long, 10 ft high and painted bright yellow. People see me OK-- and they still pull out in front of me.
That's scientific. I could argue that people are hit by trains each year - and trains make way more noise than an unmuffled HD.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 06-07-2018 at 02:15 PM..

Old 06-10-2018, 07:21 PM

68,349 posts, read 54,490,349 times
Quote:
Sounds good, but completely wrong.

One reason (among many) accident rates are higher for crotch rockets than for cruisers is that their pipes are angled upwards-- harder to hear. As I said, I know from countless experiences that a MC's exhaust sound is a positive safety factor.

And the same folks who pull out in front of that school bus they see will also pull out in front of a motorcycle they hear!

Good riding skills save lives!

Old 06-11-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Good riding skills save lives!
This. Massively this.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:36 PM

1,517 posts, read 994,270 times
Absolutely. A stupid-arse behind the handlebars is still a stupid-arse no matter how obnoxious their exhaust system is.

Obnoxiously loud exhaust systems are a cry for attention, little more. (LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!!, etc.) The people who run them are no better than the screaming little brat 3-year old who runs loose around the restaurant while the parent sits there lost in their cell phone, ruining everybody else's quiet night out. (You know the kid.) To deny it is to deny reality.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:50 AM

7,297 posts, read 5,181,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post

Obnoxiously loud exhaust systems are a cry for attention, ...

That's probably true, but nobody has said anything about obnoxiously loud exhaust here-- just loud enough, like older Harleys. (How long is a giraffe's neck? Long enough. That's the secret behind survival & evolution.)

Once a pound of time ago, bikes idled at 400 rpm (the classic potato-potato-potato sound) and required an occasional goose of the throttle to keep oil pressure up while stopped at a light. Now, silly EPA regs have pushed idle up to 1000 rpm. No need for the incessant revving by the posers.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
That's probably true, but nobody has said anything about obnoxiously loud exhaust here-- just loud enough, like older Harleys. (How long is a giraffe's neck? Long enough. That's the secret behind survival & evolution.)

Once a pound of time ago, bikes idled at 400 rpm (the classic potato-potato-potato sound) and required an occasional goose of the throttle to keep oil pressure up while stopped at a light. Now, silly EPA regs have pushed idle up to 1000 rpm. No need for the incessant revving by the posers.

Nah, the secret to survival is learning some skills and practicing them often. I used to work with a real weekend warrior who proudly proclaimed he never used the front brake on his HD! How he survived I'll never know but he was one rider I'd never ride in front of!

Old 06-12-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Absolutely. A stupid-arse behind the handlebars is still a stupid-arse no matter how obnoxious their exhaust system is.

Obnoxiously loud exhaust systems are a cry for attention, little more. (LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!!, etc.) The people who run them are no better than the screaming little brat 3-year old who runs loose around the restaurant while the parent sits there lost in their cell phone, ruining everybody else's quiet night out. (You know the kid.) To deny it is to deny reality.
I always found loud exhausts fatiguing as we usually rode all day long. What really baffles me is why anyone puts straight pipes on a low rpm engine that runs noticeably better with a little back pressure in the exhaust. I think you should at least make more HP than decibels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living