Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:54 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I wouldn't let your vegetarianism keep you from reading The Omnivore's Dilemma. He talks a lot about food production in the U.S. which is very interesting. After reading it, I cut way back on the meat that I eat and rarely eat it at all anymore.
I think I'd be more interested in "In Defense of Food" first, and then if I like his writing style I'd check out The Omnivore's Dilemma". I've read a ton about factory farming, so I'm not too anxious to read much more on that anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 08:59 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post

Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping by Judith Levine
That's a great list Kelly, thanks .

I saw a news special on Judith Levine and loved what she was doing...I bet the book is a great read .

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
I'm about to start reading cradle to cradle by William McDonough. Should be interesting!
That was on the green table at B&N too....it looked interesting, but my book quota was filled for the day , maybe next trip !

Old 03-31-2008, 09:23 PM

212 posts, read 948,267 times
Books I've read in the last few months about the environment:
Censoring Science, by Mark Bowen
Six Degrees, Mark Lynas

I read Cradle to Cradle and enjoyed it and then rented the movie that's based on it. I'm looking forward to Barbara Kingsolver's book, Animal Vegetable, Miracle. I love her books.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:17 PM

47 posts, read 134,310 times
I've purchased "The Self Sufficient Life" by John Seymour and several gardening books that I really like. One concern in Seymours book is that all his illustrations are just that, illustrations. After reading the last few pages that sum up the experience I suspect that "IN REAL LIFE" many of those ideals are a bit idealistic and not as reproducable as we'd all hope.

The illustrations are fantastic though and the ideas are traditional but it would seem that one would need a brood of free child laborers to actually make it work.

I have three kids and two grandkids but I'm beginning to think that one of the most responsible things we can do is to NOT add to the overpopulation of the allready sorely burdened earth. That may sound sort of arrogant, especially since I've already had my fun and have the family to prove it.

When I see the heartbreaking misery around the world I can't help but think that until we effectively limit adding new humans to our numbers, many of our individual efforts will be overshadowed by the hoardes of newcomers on the horizon.

That still doesn't stop me from dreaming of creating the perfect one acre self sufficient little enclave in my Southwestern mountain valley. If I had an extra $10,000 I could make a dream garden that would produce upwards of $300.00 in vegetables!!! Seed catalouges are out!! I'm putting on my mucking boots and grabbing a shovel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living