Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 06:42 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Chicago commuters would be nuts to drive downtown thru rush hour everyday-aggravation & wasted time of stop & go traffic and criminally exorbitant parking fees when they arrived. The subway got me from Logan Square to the near west side UofI campus in relative comfort in 15minutes-- it would've been a 45 minute drive.---In fact, I used to hop on the subway to study in the hot weather before air conditioning was so prevalent.

OTOH- when I was a kid in the 50s, you could ride a street car for literally pennies. Now, thanks to govt labor unions, it costs a couple bucks-- a significant chunk of an hourly minimum wage. That needs to be fixed to encourage greater ridership.

As far as the original question of the thread about the fallacy of the article-- the author is comparing apples to oranges-- he takes over all costs vs. passenger miles of pub trans 24-hr service to the commute in cars. The numbers would change to favor pub trans if ridership increased in off-peak hours.

Anecdote about the CTA-- I had a friend who drove a bus on the Mich Ave route, before the days of cell phones. "I had a small fender bender with a guy who pulled out of a parking place without looking and clipped me. It was about midnight and there was only one sleeping drunk on the bus. I got out and went looking for a phone to report the accident. When I got back in 15 minutes, it was standing room only on board and everyone was holding their necks and grimacing."
A coworker (I work in the suburbs now) tells me that her old parking lot downtown is up to $42 a day for parking. Who can afford that on top of the expressway tolls, gas, and aggravation of driving downtown? It is probably $250-275 a month to commute from one of the farthest flung Metra stations, which you’d easily spend in a week driving. FWIW, my area has buses to/from the train station but only during peak hours because the lots have limited parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 09:25 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Tell that to all the people in the big Northeast Metros. People from the minimum wage earner , to Executive is on transit. Not all regions of the country, see transit thru your description.
Most of the country has no public transportation.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:28 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Most of the places that are mid-sized or larger have public transportation. Whether it is efficient or will get you to where you want to go is another question. I do know people who have managed to live in mid-sized cities with suboptimal public transport who have used it to get downtown. The issue is that for people who don’t live downtown or who are in more suburban locations, public transport is usually a bust.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:32 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Most of the population has access to public transportation.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:29 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Most of the population has access to public transportation.
That is probably true. There are still a number of us out here that don't have the option of public transit. I would have to get used to it.

The few times I have taken it in Boston have been quite nice., since the parking stinks down there.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:43 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,135 times
To be effective you need to have an integrated payment system. We do now and it makes using the system so much easier. We have our opal cards and tap on and off on trains, public and privately owned buses, ferries and light rail. The trip planners online are really good and you know exactly which bus to wait for and where.
The system patronage is increasing so rapidly that they had to introduce a new train timetable last year.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:55 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
That's right. Most of the country doesn't, that's why I mentioned the most transit oriented. The Northeast.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:54 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Most of the population of the country has public transportation.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:49 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Many cities are moving away from diesel buses to low emmision buses, and the same is true of taxis and other vehices.
The doo gooders in big cities are busy taking away lanes from cars and giving them to one in a million bikers but have no qualm running dirty diesel buses all day. Why aren't all city buses electric? That's one segment that hybrid/electric should work nicely.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:27 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
That's right. Most of the country doesn't, that's why I mentioned the most transit oriented. The Northeast.
Almost any reasonably urban area has decent public transportation. Rural areas are not served even in the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living