Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 07:12 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm not 100% positive but I think it might be either restricted or very closely monitored in Great Debates. The topic of Climate Change is actually one of the restricted topics here in the Green Living forum too, but we won't tell anyone about this one if you don't either. https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...ed-topics.html

Certainly posting it in Politics & Other Controversies (where it is allowed) would unfortunately be a waste of time and place on an important topic.

Thanks for pointing this out, I didn't realize. Hopefully we can all be civil.

Guido la moto, most people, whether climate change deniers or climate change believers, rely on data and information provided by scientists. While that data can vary in quality, I personally trust information verified by NASA https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/ and www.globalchange.gov.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 07:34 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
To begin with, the Roman Warm Period was at least 4degC warmer than it is now-- no irreversible droughts or die off of flora & fauna. Civilization thrived. (BTW- Julius Caesar, an excellent natural historian who described in detail the novel flora, fauna and geographical features of "Gaul Across the Alps," (Transalpine Gaul) never mentioned glaciers in the Alps-- there weren't any in 54 BC.)

Secondly, over the past 10 yrs, the US is the ONLY country in the world that has reduced its carbon emissions, although all those signatories of the previous climate agreements had agreed to do so.---The Paris Agreement is merely an obligation to shift money from our country to such "underdeveloped nations" like India(?) and China (!!!).

We are no longer that stupid to agree to do such things, and that's why those "allies" of ours are so upset with us-- they're throwing a party and expected us to pay, but now we're not coming.

Those of us who are a little longer in the tooth remember the 60s & 70s, when the climatologists were telling us to brace for the coming ice age. The NY Times, Time, Newsweek, etc wrote extensively about it then 1969 New York Times: Princeton scientists worried that Antarctic ice would start a new ice age | Climate Depot

The value of a scientific theory lies in its ability to predict future results and outcomes. The Theory of Anthropogenic Global Warming is useless, by that standard-- exactly ZERO of its predictions (6deg temp rise, no snow, no glaciers left by 2010, irreversible drought, more & stronger hurricanes & tornadoes etc etc) made in the 90s have failed to materialize. (BTW- the only warming in the last 20 yrs has been within the margin of error-- and it took cheating to get that warming to show up.)

At what point does an intelligent person admit the theory is wrong?

^^^^This. Weather changes, and has for millennia, well before Man's existence.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:35 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Not to worry, global warming is just a hoax made up by liberals. The 30 year drought in the southwest is just a normal weather pattern.
Thirty years is NOTHING. That is weather. It changes. Get a life. How are people in the southwest surviving if there is a drought? Are they trucking in water? NO.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:54 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I have no doubt that the world is slowly dying one way or another. I don't think I'll see it, but I worry about my grand-child, future grand-children and future generations.

Left to the plants animals without mankind if we suddenly went extinct from a virus or plague, I think the earth would do fine once again, but it would take a very long time to cleanse and heal itself.

Earth is not dying for a VERY long time, it's just preparing to dispose of a lot of trash and some collateral damage to go along with the trash. If you're really concerned about your future generations of descendants then you need to persuade their forebears (your own offspring and their kids) to make future plans now to go inland and live in earth sheltered domiciles partially or fully underground and to build lots of big, squat, domed greenhouses above ground.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:29 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
People will be living in denial all the way till the end. "but it's just a normal weather pattern...." -croaks-
But seriously, it's not like anything can be done about the situation. People got to have their suvs and their 1st world comfort and boredom issues solved, so just enjoy the time we all have left.
Unfortunately, the effects of global warming will not be felt for decades, and everybody in this newsgroup will be long dead by the time our descendants have to deal with it. Sea level is only rising about a tenth of an inch per year. Most people don't think far enough ahead to know that they are doing next week. Start talking 50 to 100 year consequences and their eyes just glaze over.

It is interesting to speculate what life on Earth will be like when everything within 25 degrees of the equator is uninhabitable.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:58 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
You know some other things that used to be the scientific consensus? The sun rotates around the earth. Leeching is the most effective way to cure diseases. Matter is made of elements such as air, water and fire.

Point being, there is scientific consensus... until there isn't.

So relax, most likely nothing cataclysmic will happen. And if it does, it will be third world countries that bear the brunt of it. And we'll all be dead anyway by that time so who cares?
Regardless, humanity will survive.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:08 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I'm still prepping for the new ice age the experts predicted in the late 70's. I think I have enough clothing, wood, food and water to last til about age 100 for my wife and me, and enough to get my kids through another 20 years. Bring it on with the ice age.

We are currently in an ice age, that has been going for about 2.2 million years. You are thinking about the end of the current inter-glacial period, one of a series that is within the ice age. This current period began about 11,700 years ago, when the climate warmed and most of the glaciers and ice sheets in the temperate zones retreated.

But prior to this inter-glacial period, there were no cities or permanent settlements. Nothing that happened during the previous inter-glacial periods, would have affected humans the way it would now. Those who think they have all the answers, are in for some unpleasant surprises.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:08 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
There are no corals near the poles. It's too cold. Corals are temperature dependent. The majority of corals are found in tropical seas between 30°N and 30°S, and some hardy types (very few) can be found as far as the temperate 56th latitudes. But not near the poles.

It should also be noted that the big news about Australian corals dying off is explained by the fact that sea levels in the west Pacific are falling. Coral must be under water to survive. It's those parts of the coral now exposed to air that are suffering.

BTW- it's water temperature, not air temp that affects the coral-- and water heats the air, not vice versa.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:32 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,931 times
I have noticed that when it gets cold, it is "weather", but when it is unusually hot, we are told that it is "climate". In any case, we mere plebians can't expect to comprehend something as infinitely complex as global warming (oops) -climate change. No, we have to get our information from the pony-tailed birkenstock wearing "climate scientists" lol.

Last edited by teakboat; 08-04-2018 at 08:47 AM..

Old 08-04-2018, 08:37 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,931 times
The earth has been warming, with stops and starts, and briefer periods of intermediate cooling, since the end of the Pleistocene. And yet earth is actually still in an "inter-glacial" period within an ice age on an even larger time scale. The climate is always changing. "Climate Change" was an ingenious plan designed to appropriate the natural warming trend which has been occurring for thousands of years, to scare the public for the political and or economic gains of those few who stood to benefit from the hoax. Nice try, we have all caught on (most of us, anyway, CatTX is in the cult and is being handed the kool-aid as I type this).

Last edited by teakboat; 08-04-2018 at 08:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living