Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 08:22 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,345,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmill View Post
The thing is I have been in Florida for as I mention 20 years dealing with moderate to hot temps. Encountering flies was extremely rare. In my childhood when I lived out of the country and in a rural farm area flies were everywhere.
I have no doubt the temperature accentuated the problem, once it presented itself. Before the problem though, there were no flies.

I did a bit of digging the cans are 95 gallon behemoths that get picked up by a truck with a robotic arm. The change was made in 2015.

Orange cuts trash pickup - Orlando Sentinel
Honestly walmill, I have no clue where the source of nor a resolution to the fly problem in your area. Have you spoken to any of your neighbors concerning this? What about your "municipality" perhaps they will be able to not only agree with you on the situation but tell you if there are any efforts on their part to address it such as some type of abatement program. Again, what do I know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 02:47 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,348,412 times
Where I live..after living many years without garbage pickup (we'd take it ourselves to the dump when needed)..no problems with flies etc.......then garbage pickup was made mandatory and bins were provided. By mandatory I mean the cost was added onto your property tax whether you used it or not.

At first the pickup was once a week...not too bad....then they changed it to once every 2 weeks, and in the hot weather everyone's garbage is pretty well hopping when it's finally collected.
Disgusting to say the least.
It was better paying the little private guy with his own truck when and IF you needed it.

But the corrupt town council decided they wanted to spend HUGE amounts of tax payers money on some new big fancy trucks and totes it could pick up.
The little guy lost his business and we're left with a very inadequate garbage removal.

Not only that, but the new trucks are continually having mechanical problems, and costing tax payers more and more....garbage pickup here is now very dismal.

We each get a LARGE recycling bin..and a TINY garbage bin....thus more garbage in the bushes and ditches.

My sister actually washes her cans etc before putting them in the recycle bin...she couldn't understand why we refused to do so.
When I explained that in the summer months when water is low (for people on wells), it's either water for drinking or water for washing garbage...easy to decide I think.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:02 PM

13,151 posts, read 7,645,947 times
When we had a bigger family, we used a trash compactor. works great. We separated compostable waste which went into compost bins from "trash". Once a week pickup, in all my 64 years, that I can remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living