Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:46 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times

Advertisements

How much money does the fossil fuel industry have to lose? Exxon Mobil made $40 billion last year. They have a noose around our necks and it's getting tighter.

How much money does the eco business have to gain?

500 scientists refute global warming dangers

Scoop: Scientists Group to Refute Global Warming Claims

Challenge to Scientific Consensus on Global Warming: Analysis Finds Hundreds of Scientists Have Published Evidence Countering Man-Made Global Warming Fears

Less than half of published scientists endorse global warming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
That would be interesting to know - do you have any figures?
I have no idea...There are hundreds of eco businesses large and small that benefit from the man made global warming myth...Dozens of books being published, Al Gore's movie, etc. Below is a link to info on one of the most well known.

Greenpeace Finances

Old 04-03-2008, 12:56 PM

212 posts, read 948,016 times
Default Hhdson institute? funded by Monsanta and ConAgra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 500 'scientists' are dentists and other PhD's, but not climate scientists; their ideas are not peer-reviewed.

The Hudson Institute's corporate sponsors include Eli Lilly and Company, Monsanto, DuPont, Dow-Elanco, Sandoz, Ciba-Geigy, ConAgra, Cargill, and Procter & Gamble

Some may question theHudson Institute's position on many issues since they are funded by huge conglomerates. An example is their view of food production and the large sums they receive from food companies; think ADM and the millions they make serving us genetically engineering food (crap).

Puhleez!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't compare this corporate funded joint to the AAAS.

I know a lot of climate scientists and not one of them is rich. They are paid a reasonable yearly salary. I know from first hand experience.

Compare to the corporate big-wigs who are raking in the dough adn funding these 'skeptics'. But, it's up to you who you want to believe! You're happy leaving your kids a world full of troubles. That's your choice. I choose to believe real science.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:21 PM

955 posts, read 2,156,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedaly View Post
These scientific organizations agree that global climate change is most likely caused by humans burning fossil fuels:
American Association for the Advancement of Science, (AAAS)
etc.........

How much money does the fossil fuel industry have to lose? Exxon Mobil made $40 billion last year. They have a noose around our necks and it's getting tighter.

How about if we try to be good stewards of this god-given planet and start to conserve energy?
What troubles me is that it seems far fetched that something as complex as our climate, with all of the thousands of independent input variables, is boiled down to one input only - humans burning fossil fuels - as the only thing that causes our climate to change. Does anyone remember reading about the cold period caused by the eruption of the volcano Kracatoa? In the 1850's?

Second, Exxon did make $40 billion on sales of $400 billion, or 10% of sales. Exxon also paid $30 billion in federal income taxes last year and $150 billion over the past ten years. Exxon also makes about 30 percent less on sales than companies like Disney and Viacom. I guess someone should check that noose around our collective necks.

Finally, I'm all for reasonable approaches to conservation. I just do not believe in shutting down our way of life. What if the pundits are wrong?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:24 PM

212 posts, read 948,016 times
What if the skeptics are wrong?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:37 PM

955 posts, read 2,156,895 times
Quote:
What if the skeptics are wrong?
If so, then we're back to your original point:

Wars over land and fresh water, ruined economies, droughts and famine.....all things we're leaving our grandkids.

We will have completely altered our way of life, our standard of living, all for nothing.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
The 500 'scientists' are dentists and other PhD's, but not climate scientists; their ideas are not peer-reviewed.

The Hudson Institute's corporate sponsors include Eli Lilly and Company, Monsanto, DuPont, Dow-Elanco, Sandoz, Ciba-Geigy, ConAgra, Cargill, and Procter & Gamble

Some may question theHudson Institute's position on many issues since they are funded by huge conglomerates. An example is their view of food production and the large sums they receive from food companies; think ADM and the millions they make serving us genetically engineering food (crap).

Puhleez!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't compare this corporate funded joint to the AAAS.

I know a lot of climate scientists and not one of them is rich. They are paid a reasonable yearly salary. I know from first hand experience.

Compare to the corporate big-wigs who are raking in the dough adn funding these 'skeptics'. But, it's up to you who you want to believe! You're happy leaving your kids a world full of troubles. That's your choice. I choose to believe real science.
I see that you must not bothered with the forth link...It examines both views on the matter, and stating that all the skeptics are funded by big oil is just silly.
As far as the world I leave to my kids is concerned, there is just not a lot you or I can do about that. If global warming is man made or a natural event we cannot stop it. I believe that it is a natural cycle perhaps made a bit worse by our activities.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:06 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
I'm glad to now know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the massive burning star known as the sun produces and even and steady amount of heat at all times and we can now exclude this variable.

BTW, is it going to rain tomorrow? They've been screwing that forecast up all month, yet something as complex as climate they have now pinpointed a single variable that has fully manipulated our temperatures. Amazing. I'm sure Al Gore is laughing somewhere at the bunk science being propagated throught our media.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:20 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
I wonder what caused the warming cycles in the past, before man was here?

Old 05-05-2008, 04:47 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

On the other side of the coin...How much $ do the eco business have to gain? Yes it is a business and a very large one.
That's my belief also. There's a lot of truth in the old saying '...follow the money'. This green kick is no exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living