Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 02:09 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,988,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
To get a true picture of how the war is going, ask the infantrymen, not the generals in their ivory towers. When was the last time you got any dirt under your fingernails?
Let's see:

Rebuild 90 year old windows in my house.
Replumbed bathroom with new sink and toilet.
Repaired crack in car front bumper including repainting.
Built 8 foot long double vanity for new master bath.
Renovated 90 year old kitchen with new custom built cabinets, new counter tops, rebuilt Viking range.
Annual garden supplying tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers.
Built replacement platform bed to replace poorly designed SCAN unit.
Do virtually 100% maintenance on 30 year old sailboat including diesel engine rebuild.

Yeah, I get my hand dirty. The difference between us is I'm also a Register Professional Engineer with an MBA in finance from top schools.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:10 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
... it tells approximately how much money it cost when things go wrong - the four most costly cleanups alone cost more that $6 billion. Nuclear is a hard sell for America!
Let's estimate the average electric bill is $100/month x 12 m/yr x 100,000,000 US households x 30 yrs = $3.6 Trillion; that $6 billion repair cost is little more than incidental business expense. How much is Hurricane Michael gunna cost?

We can't estimate risk by asking what could it cost IF....? We calculate risk by analyzing data of known experience. One ThreeMileIsland incident in 70 yrs of nuclear energy. Nothing is 100% safe. Risks vs benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Let's see:....

I'm impressed, although my question was rhetorical. But then, a buggadagulu like you would feel obligated to answer it. You deserve a cookie. Your mother can be proud of you. Let us know when you do something any DIYer couldn't do with a cheap hammer and screwdriver.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:55 PM

18,212 posts, read 25,846,208 times
I'm impressed, although my question was rhetorical. But then, a buggadagulu like you would feel obligated to answer it. You deserve a cookie. Your mother can be proud of you. Let us know when you do something any DIYer couldn't do with a cheap hammer and screwdriver.[/quote]

Thread closed for mod review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living