Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 12:09 PM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times

Advertisements

It's cheaper and easier to go to the PigglyWiggly for food--- but we still have to see what the future holds for prices and avaiability of supply.

Home grown stuff isnt kept in storage for months or harvested at an immature stage, so it's always tastier than store-bought.

I know what you mean about varmints. I apparently grow very tasty sweet corn, judging by the smiles on the faces of all the obese deer and raccoons in my area. They are very rude and never leave me any.

If you're growing for survival reasons-- start with potatoes and beans-- easlly the most nutrient dense veggies going, and both grow like weeds. Peas are up there in nutrient density also, but a little harder to grow....Everything else comes in a distant second in nutrtional value.

Potatoes in particular usually get a bad rap from the health food nuts, but check it out--
https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts...roducts/2770/2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 08:41 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I'm hoping to close on a property back east soon enough to establish some veggies, even if I have to use containers. I'm trying to accumulate as much knowledge as possible to make my garden as easy as possible with good production.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:49 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,994 times
We do grow a vegetable garden, but mostly for herbs, squash, lettuce, and tomatoes. I've grown potatoes, but they don't make up a significant part of my diet. Gardening is a hobby for me as I don't have much land to cultivate.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:40 AM

11 posts, read 12,133 times
We don't have that much land to garden with either. I mostly do container gardening. We're both in our 60's and have the arthritis to prove it so heavy-duty digging and gardening would be very hard for us.
I do the basics like most people. Tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, kale, spinach, radishes , sweet peppers, lettuces.
I managed to grow some cantaloupes last year. Very good. Better than what I found at the farm stand even.
I grow plenty of herbs in containers also.
Basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, sage, lemon balm, horehound, catnip, onion and garlic chives.
This year I'll be trying to start growing some strawberries in window boxes. I doubt they'll produce this year, but if I can get them to over winter they may do so next year.
I do have 2 blueberry plants in large containers growing and some blackberry bushes in the ground that did very well last year. I still have gallon bags of berries in the freezer I'm using.

Old 04-08-2022, 04:18 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
I grow most of our vegetables and herbs. I can what I have to, freeze some, and store quite a bit in the cold cellar. We're still eating winter squash from last fall. We have an orchard with apples, peaches (not yet producing), pears, and hazelnuts. We also have raspberries and strawberries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living