Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 12:04 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times

Advertisements

Recycling is a waste of time and resources. Fortunately we don't have a recycling program when I live, so everything does into the trash. And I mean everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 11:43 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Easy to say in Alaska where you'll never run out of space to bury trash!

Old 07-17-2019, 12:20 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
If it will make a difference, then yes. But most of the recyclable waste I've heard ends up in the dump anyway. So, unless they can get it together, no, there should be no mandatory recycling and accompanying fines.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:46 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Also in the above mentioned article, on the first day of forced recycling, the first warning was issued for the Swisshotel Grand, a 5-star hotel for improper sorting. Imagine the job of recycling for a major hotel!

And hospitals, nursing homes? Exempt?

I worked in a LTC/Rehab facility for 17 years and we never recycled one item. I asked the Administrator one time why we didn't recycle and she said all the items are contaminated. Imagine the pile of vinyl gloves that piles up in one day, as we need to change gloves for every room we enter and exit. IMO, that's going too far. And to think of all the disposable needles, water pitchers (all changed once a month), big G-tube plastic bottles (contaminated???) and all the other equipment tossed in the trash every day. And not to mention all the disposable diapers.

It's estimated that 9 tons of garbage is generated in one year in Shanghai, more than London's annual output and rising quickly.

Yes, something has to be done!
Really, only 9 tons a year, in a metropolis of 26 million people ??

Thats totally impossible. That amounts to less than 1 ounce per person per year - in either Shanghai or London.... Did you just make that figure up ?

Last edited by slowlane3; 07-17-2019 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-17-2019, 03:03 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
A county I used to live in has recycling bins on a trailer that is moved to different parts of the county each week, plus the main drop off at the county road department. The road foreman told me once they are losing money big time with this recycling. Said it costs more to collect, sometimes seperate, and haul to the recyclers that what they are getting out of it.
Where I live now, the city will no longer accept scrap paper and newspapers for recycling because the bottom dropped out of the price.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:05 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Easy to say in Alaska where you'll never run out of space to bury trash!
No place has run out space to bury its trash. There are localities that prefer to send their trash somewhere else and let it be someone else's problem.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:08 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times
Recycling should be mandatory for businesses and the city government should cover the cost to have recycle bins there.

I know of a school who tried recycling, but the cost was too expensive, so they gave it up, and now everything recyclable gets mixed with things not recyclable, and they will all sit in the landfill forever. The Earth does not have infinite storage space for everyone's garbage. At least take the recyclables out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living