Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 03:45 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,807 times

Advertisements

My husband is a system administrator who works for a county government that is an hour commute from us. He can do pretty much everything he needs to do from home, baring any emergency situation that would require hands on work. His bosses are firm that they do not want anyone working from home. Sometimes he has to work from home to reboot a server and he can't do that when people are using the server so he does it after hours from home, again his bosses are upset that he can't do this during the day at his desk, which he could do, but that would require telling certain departments that they couldn't use their computers for a certain amount of time.

Anyway now that covid-19 is here and spreading in that county they've allowed for 50% of each departments workforce to be able to work from home and it has to rotate through the employees. So hubby is now allowed to work at home except for Tuesdays and Thursdays.

When his boss asked him how it was going working remotely he said it was going great because he can actually get more work done from home because there's not a bunch of people coming into the office to distract him. At home he has a quiet office, and I leave him alone. At work he shares his office with multiple other people, and outsiders come in frequently.

I don't understand why the older generation things working from home is so bad. There's been studies done to prove that it is better for productivity. Sure some people may try and abuse it, but then again at the office people try and get away with being lazy also. I don't know what'll happen after this covid-19 runs through, it would be nice if my husband could continue to work from home three days a week. It would sure save us a lot of time and money in gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 08:06 PM

987 posts, read 779,266 times
Yes there should be more remote working I agree.

Lets create robots to do all of our work while we focus on how to solve other issues in the world that we live in.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:50 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post

I don't understand why the older generation things working from home is so bad. There's been studies done to prove that it is better for productivity. Sure some people may try and abuse it, but then again at the office people try and get away with being lazy also. I don't know what'll happen after this covid-19 runs through, it would be nice if my husband could continue to work from home three days a week. It would sure save us a lot of time and money in gas.
Completely agree. I worked for a company from home, and the fact that I didn't have to commute, get out of my pajamas if I didn't feel like it, didn't need a full 15 minute break, nor an hour lunch, and I didn't have co-workers sitting next to me distracting me, mostly with non work related stuff, meant that I got more done, and I worked longer. Plus, there's a whole lot less drama when everyone is at home than if they are sitting next to each other, and there's always that ONE who wants to cause problems for everyone.

While I was an Independent Contractor, they treated us almost like employees, with the exception of how long (or short) we worked, when we worked, and we weren't forced to take a break if we didn't want one.

Because I didn't have to get up as early, due to getting ready and a commute, and because when I was done working, I was already home, I had more energy, and I was able to work way more hours than I would have were I to have to go into an office.

Plus, less spread of the flu and colds every single year, so less sick time for people. Less paper because everything was done via internet, including meetings. WebEx was what we used. There's also conference calls that have been used for decades now.

You can do your resume online, your interview over Skype or some other software, you can digitally sign documents that are emailed to you, or online somewhere, you can have the virtual office set up without someone coming to your home - they can do it by sharing the computer and they set it up from another location, which includes logging in and out (clocking in/out), you can send requests by email or whatever other way the company has set up digital access to your immediate boss, you can get direct deposit - there's no reason at all that many who are forced to drive to an office every day can't just work from home/remotely, whichever term you want to use.

I continue to be shocked that here we are, in 2020, and more office workers are still forced to go to the office when they don't actually have to go to the office - they could do the exact same thing at home. I understand that not every one can work from home, but there's a whole lot of people who can.

And as I've said before, if someone abuses it, fire them, and hire someone better next time. No need to assume everyone is going to abuse it.

It is time that these companies get with the program - plus it saves them a whole lot of money because the don't have to buy as much office space, or furniture, or use as much electricity, etc.

I think some have an issue with being control freaks. What they miss is that they can still be control freaks without the person actually sitting right in front of them.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:29 PM

41 posts, read 23,059 times
I wonder why the global-warming criers haven't already said, "Ya know, we should work at home more often to reduce global warming." Suspicious, isn't it? Yeah: Suspicious.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiToYou View Post
I wonder why the global-warming criers haven't already said, "Ya know, we should work at home more often to reduce global warming." Suspicious, isn't it? Yeah: Suspicious.
Not suspicious at all. People have talked about the environmental impacts of commuting and offices. The idea doesn't have widespread corporate support.

No conspiracy here.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:56 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,322,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiToYou View Post

They have. Part of the idea behind telework IS reducing the total carbon footprint of a company, with less driving for commuting, less space taken up at offices so offices can be smaller and less energy used AT those now smaller offices. It's a great way to combat global climate change. YOu just ignored the conversations where that was brought up.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:25 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,539,685 times
Default Hey everybody!

Just remembered this thread I started, and can't believe it was last fall! My how things have changed!

My husband got the green light to work remotely in January of 2020, and when our lease was up we moved to another state. This transition all happened just as the Covid situation was heating up and by the time we moved at the end of March, all my husband's coworkers were sent out of the office to work from home. Crazy!

Anyway, it looks like many people will be continuing to do so even after lockdowns get lifted because now businesses now know it can be done where and when it CAN be done. Less traffic, less smog, less stress in the long run. It's a shame we had to go through a horrific pandemic to figure out work from home is completely doable.

On a personal note we love where landed (Vancouver, Washington) and we're renting a small 1 bedroom apartment. I had originally planned on getting some kind of waitress job, but... yeahhh... also my doc tells me I'm higher risk because of my "viral induced" (cough cough) asthma. UG! So while he's been working (with no issues at all, he loves it!) I've been a shut in lady of leisure and domestic goddess. Lol! Thank goodness hubs and I get along so well... our little 600 square foot apartment is tight!

Wishing you safety during these perilous times, all the best!

Old 05-22-2020, 09:23 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
I have been remote working for the last 13 years. I was wondering why it took so long to catch on.

I guess it was something of a well-kept secret until now.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:45 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
I would agree, except that employees should have the OPTION of remote work, it should never be forced just because the employer wants to save money on office rent and kicks people out.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:51 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I would agree, except that employees should have the OPTION of remote work, it should never be forced just because the employer wants to save money on office rent and kicks people out.
It's up to the business to decide that. If you don't want to be "forced" to work remotely, apply elsewhere.

I have long been an advocate for working remotely - since the early 2000s I've been at it.

Twenty flipping years later, and still companies can't seem to catch on. If they feel the need to monitor their employees like little children, the good news is, they can still do that with remote working.

Any job that can be done remotely should be done remotely - it does save the business a big chunk of money - so maybe they can stop shipping those jobs overseas, and start hiring more people in this country to work from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living