Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 08:43 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times

Advertisements

I've likely been exposed to at least a hundred times the amount of TCE of any of you. It used to be the major chemical used in motion picture film cleaner.

https://www.kodak.com/us/en/motion/s...ts/default.htm

For a couple of years, I might have had exposure to it on my hands and as a vapor for as much as an hour or two per week. It is interesting stuff. I likely have a small bottle of it kicking around somewhere.

Levels of TCE in drinking water can easily be reduced by most home filtration systems using carbon - activated or block.

https://www.oregon.gov/oha/PH/Health...ts/health/tce.

Much the same type of concerns are now occurring with PFOAs. Again, carbon filtration is a significant help.

While I am not a professional on water, I have taken the time to educate myself much more than most people on the subject, as my water comes primarily from a creek, and I have to take serious measures to make it safe.

There is a LOT of snake oil out there in water filtration and especially the "survival" type filters. Try not to be conned. Reverse osmosis is an excellent way of filtering municipal or most well water. Water with contaminants such as gasoline are a different matter. If municipal water passes the normal testing, it is safe to drink. If you want to be doubly sure, generally a simple carbon granule filter - changed REGULARLY - is usually all that is needed.

When looking at water quality, it can be important to remember that the contaminants in water are often in higher concentrations in foods and things we handle or use. Blind fear is not helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 10:14 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,998,265 times
Brita filters do a lot.

Old 11-30-2019, 04:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
For $1000+ you can install a whole house filter.

For basic water filtration where you only need to remove sediment and/or want to reduce chlorine you can do it for far less than that. For about $60 you can purchase two filters and the fittings you would require like valves. Typically you have sediment filter followed by carbon filter. The replaceable filters are about $3 each and last 1 to months depending on your usage.

As a side note, that stupidly expensive filter for a refrigerator would no longer be required.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-A...tem/1000576407

Quick tip, the pressure release buttons on these things have a tendency to leak if you use them. There should be valves on both sides of the filter. valve >> first filter housing >> second filter housing >> valve. Open a faucet somewhere and then close the first valve, wait a few seconds and close second valve. No need to use the pressure relief button.

Old 11-30-2019, 04:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Brita filters do a lot.

I went to look up the specs up on these compared to my $3 filter that does 1000's of gallons compared to their $6 filter that does 40 gallons. They don't list them, they only claim reductions which any carbon filter is going to do to some degree or another dependent on the micron rating.

Old 11-30-2019, 05:44 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,998,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I went to look up the specs up on these compared to my $3 filter that does 1000's of gallons compared to their $6 filter that does 40 gallons. They don't list them, they only claim reductions which any carbon filter is going to do to some degree or another dependent on the micron rating.
You're filtering all your water. I'm filtering the water I drink. DC chlorinates their water. The Brita removes the smell/taste. The cost is chump change.

Old 11-30-2019, 06:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Pesticides and other pollutants do get into ground water, which is what feeds wells. Do not assume untreated well water is safer than municipal water. Also, well casings can crack and allow pollutants in.

There are treatment systems for well water.

Having a well is a big responsibility for a family. It has to be maintained, and sometimes requires pricey repairs.

Old 11-30-2019, 10:52 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
For basic water filtration where you only need to remove sediment and/or want to reduce chlorine you can do it for far less than that. For about $60 you can purchase two filters and the fittings you would require like valves. Typically you have sediment filter followed by carbon filter. The replaceable filters are about $3 each and last 1 to months depending on your usage.

As a side note, that stupidly expensive filter for a refrigerator would no longer be required.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-A...tem/1000576407

Quick tip, the pressure release buttons on these things have a tendency to leak if you use them. There should be valves on both sides of the filter. valve >> first filter housing >> second filter housing >> valve. Open a faucet somewhere and then close the first valve, wait a few seconds and close second valve. No need to use the pressure relief button.
There are a whole lot of things to choose from depending upon what you are trying to filter out. You could get by with a little faucet filter if all you need to filter is chlorine. But the faucet filters aren't good for much more than that. An under the sink or counter top filter is usually a good option and you can switch it off if you just want water for washing dishes and switch it back on if you want to drink some water.

Even the reverse osmosis filters that are necessary in some cases have been redesigned so that they are smaller and much cheaper than they used to be. That came as a pleasant surprise to me! The filters can last up to 3 years on the one I was reading about. But buyer beware, of course. Do your research first.

A whole house filter is good when the water is causing rashes when people take showers and you want all your water filtered, even the bathroom sink. Sometimes the water is that bad that you need a whole house filter.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:46 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
I buy distilled. I doubt I'll ever drink anything else. Exception being when I'm at a restaurant or away from home and need to drink water so I buy a bottle.

I have a friend who is so vocally critical of people's eating habits and promotional of her own it's not always pleasant being around her. She's a long distance runner and always wears a hydration pack full of tap water. In the Mojave. Not too far from Trona.

Old 12-01-2019, 08:35 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureYogi View Post
I've thought for the longest time that in general well or spring water are way purer and healthier than city tap water. Less pollutants, chemicals, peoples' medicines, etc., shared with way fewer people, cleaner, purer, fresher, healthier for skin and hair and absorbing and drinking. Have really enjoyed stays at several homes with well or spring water.

Though seems important to test the well or spring water, though unsure how often.

(One farm I stayed at had so much lime in its well water the sinks, shower, and toilet had so much deposits from it and I noticed its residents complained of health issues that are a symptom of limey water and when I showered there my hair always felt like it was getting damaged. They were too poor or uninterested in testing it unfortunately.)

Lately though I am hearing people disagree with this theory that well or spring water are generally healthier than city tap water.

What do you all think and know about this debate?
I once lived in MO, a nearby church had a well drilled. They hit an artesian well. No lime or any deposits. That was some REAL good water.

Old 12-01-2019, 10:15 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Water purity scale.....

Least....spring water. Requires water treatment in Federal campgrounds, no longer used to any great extent by people that are required to test water prior to public consumption.

Next.....well water. Most well water is NEVER tested in home situations. I did know several folks that tested their water and ended with nasty surprises. Everybody should test their well water prior to purchasing a property.

Best.....municipal and other water supplies that are tested on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living