Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 08:09 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times

Advertisements

Have you ever wondered how the quality of your catchment water compares to county water?

Have you ever wondered how our county water compares to water quality in other locations?

Have you wondered how our county or your catchment water compares to bottled water?

I did. I bought a TDS (total dissolved solids) water tester. They are cheap nowadays. In case you are wondering what TDS really means, may I suggest you read about it before continuing. Here is one resource: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_dissolved_solids

Disclaimer: TDS measurements do not measure if there are infectious biological/parasite loads in your water. TDS only measures how much "stuff" is in your water. Regardless of how "pure" your water tests with a TDS meter, you will need a mechanism to make it biologically safe. We use a UV sterilization system.

PPM = parts per million

Here goes:

Hawaii County water at the Pahoa (East side/ Puna) spigots: 47 PPM

Hawaii Country water from spigot in Kailua-Kona: 95 PPM

(I guess that explains why East side water is some of the best tasting in the world, not to mention bottled and shipped worldwide, but the Kona side water has to be chewed before you can swallow it).

Our catchment water coming from kitchen tap with WAY expired filters: 7 PPM. The hot water is 11 PPM. Maybe it's the sacrificial anode.

EPA recommends no more than 500 PPM. Water beyond 1000 PPM is considered undrinkable.

A few random internet searches show drinking water in Florida is around 230 PPM. Hawaii county water East side is great (we already knew that).

The first bottled water I tested was 36 PPM. The second was 236 PPM, however it had minerals added for taste, and you would expect the increase.

Of course, no lab was used in preparation of this data, just a TDS meter that anybody can buy. Also, TDS meters do not tell you WHAT is in your water, nor can they tell you if your water is safe to drink. Also, no two catchment systems are the same. Your mileage will vary.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 11:49 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Well, unless you know what the ppms are, you still won't know if they're good or not. We do need minerals and such in our diet, I've heard that water that is too "clean" can actually be bad for you. Something about thin bones from lack of minerals or some such. Water with 300 ppm would be good if those ppms were something beneficial. Not so good if they weren't.

When you're on County water, they do occasionally send out a lab assessment of the water piped to your house. It shows up with the water bill about once a year. It has all the ppms listed along with what they are and what the recommended amounts of that particular thing is. So, although it won't compare the water you're getting to other water sources, it does specifically show what's in the water you're getting. I've no complaints about County water and really appreciate it when we can get it.

Although, it's really hard to beat a shower from heated rainwater from a catchment tank. County water doesn't seem as soft as rainwater or something. Although, I'm comparing some fairly old experiences with current ones, so some of it might be human error in remembering, too.

So, with good tasty water, no pumps, no catchment tanks, no filtering, what's not to like about County water? It's not even that expensive if you compare it to other places. I think the availability and tastiness of drinkable water should rank right up there along with the weather and scenery and people as to why Hawaii is such a nice place.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:37 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
The transfer station at Waiohinu has spring water "on tap". I fill up a couple of 5 gal containers (which ends up in 1 liter bottles) and that's the only water we drink. Never thought to test it....

Old 10-09-2015, 10:06 PM

83 posts, read 128,681 times
Where do you go in Hilo to get water tested?

Old 10-10-2015, 10:19 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
"What's not to like about County water? It's not even that expensive if you compare it to other places."

County water is great, but unfortunately, not available to most residents unless they want to pay a tanker to bring it in.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:32 PM

49 posts, read 76,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"What's not to like about County water? It's not even that expensive if you compare it to other places."

County water is great, but unfortunately, not available to most residents unless they want to pay a tanker to bring it in.
Actually, folks all over Puna are drinking County water, filling up at the spigots in Kea'au and Pahoa.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:28 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Waiohinu, though, has the best tasting water, IMHO. Hoot-n-Annie is lucky to live near there. When we lived on catchment, we'd fill up drinking jugs every time we went through there but now we are on the other end of the island and rarely get there anymore. We also aren't on catchment anymore, so there aren't any more jugs of drinking water to haul around. However, when we do go through there, we do stop at the park and fill up our water bottles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: