Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 08:53 AM

19,903 posts, read 22,838,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
We've got several that have way over 80K.
You can look at the GSA auction sites, and I've rarely seen one over 100,000 miles. Just looking at page one on this auction listing of over a dozen vehicles it looks like avg odometer of 60,000 miles or so.

https://autoauctions.gsa.gov/GSAAuto...er/5AFFFC21291
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 09:35 AM

16,746 posts, read 8,731,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
President Joe Biden said today that the U.S. federal government would replace its fleet of vehicles with electric vehicles. “The federal government also owns an enormous fleet of vehicles, which we're going to replace with clean electric vehicles made right here in America, by American workers."

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/b...224800214.html
American made sounds good to me, but electric cars are not as green as everyone wants to believe. Power plants are needed to supply energy, and most are not "clean".
The irony is that nuclear plants which so called environmentalists have always opposed, produce cleaner energy than most others. Sure the waste is the bad aspect, but some very smart people are looking to use that waste for power in the not too distant future.
Fear of a meltdown like Chernobyl is absurd, especially the way our plants in America are constructed.

Regardless, electricity is not grown on trees, so electric cars are not as eco friendly as some might think.

`

Old 01-29-2021, 12:48 PM

8,149 posts, read 7,531,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
President Joe Biden said today...
"...clean electric vehicles made right here in America, by American workers."
That's racist and implies that American workers are better than other workers.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:59 PM

8,149 posts, read 7,531,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
There are at least nine makers.https://blog.consumerguide.com/electric-car-companies/
Ford makes the Fusion which can be gas or electric or hybrid. I love it.
GM and Nissan.
Sorry to say that Ford stopped making Fusion cars on July 31, 2020. Ford makes no cars anymore except for the Mustang and the $500,000 GT, because people want pickups and crossover/SUV's.

P.S. When I read the line "As Tesla continues to struggle to profitably build electric cars and crossovers..." I looked for the date on the linked article and there isn't one. What year was that written? Tesla just reported its first year of 4 profitable quarters so it's safe to say they are no longer strangers to profit.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:00 PM

10,512 posts, read 5,194,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
American made sounds good to me, but electric cars are not as green as everyone wants to believe.
True, electric cars have an environmental impact, but it is a far smaller impact than fossil fuels. Fossil fuels cause global warming, put pollutants like NOx in the air, fracking contaminates ground water, oil spills foul beaches. It's no contest, EV's are far cleaner.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:27 PM

17,668 posts, read 17,853,516 times
On the surface it sounds good but as a whole is fiscally irresponsible. What they should do instead is review the various types of fleet vehicles to see which ones are most viable for an electric replacement. They should then contact various companies that have electric vehicles that may meet the services needed for this particular fleet vehicle to compare range, warranty, and other factors. Before committing to replacing an entire fleet, lease or purchase a few vehicles to put into service to see how it works for those who will be required to use them daily on the job.

If the fleet vehicle is nothing more than a government employee’s government issued vehicle used for nothing more than commuting to and from work then that’s easy.
It’s the special services vehicles that should be studied before considering replacing. Other factors include climate in the region they’re to be used, level of traffic, miles driven per day, high climb hills or bridges, etc. for many special use fleet vehicles gasoline or diesel power is the absolute best option.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:33 PM

17,668 posts, read 17,853,516 times
Hmm, I wonder if a contract negotiator could include discounts for R&D data to be sent back to the company for high use duty fleet vehicles?

Old 01-29-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
On the surface it sounds good but as a whole is fiscally irresponsible. What they should do instead is review the various types of fleet vehicles to see which ones are most viable for an electric replacement. They should then contact various companies that have electric vehicles that may meet the services needed for this particular fleet vehicle to compare range, warranty, and other factors. Before committing to replacing an entire fleet, lease or purchase a few vehicles to put into service to see how it works for those who will be required to use them daily on the job.

If the fleet vehicle is nothing more than a government employee’s government issued vehicle used for nothing more than commuting to and from work then that’s easy.
It’s the special services vehicles that should be studied before considering replacing. Other factors include climate in the region they’re to be used, level of traffic, miles driven per day, high climb hills or bridges, etc. for many special use fleet vehicles gasoline or diesel power is the absolute best option.
My wife had a Prius for years. Over 120,000 miles on it. I can say with a great deal of certainty (like 100%) that car had no issues what so ever negotiating high hill climbs. And we've got a few around here it was a little torque monster. Also never had a problem in general winter road conditions with Blizzaks. I'd love to see the roll out of an all EV truck. Some of the stats on the electric Hummer are mind blowing (if true). If these things have range I'd love an EV truck, especially one I can plug in at home. A silent truck would be an awesome hunting rig. I've been on BLM where there is a network of oil and gas roads and when a loud diesel rolls in you can watch the mulies blow out of the area. A silent truck? AWESOME.

Montana has a few hybrids in their pool. Quite a few. And the other week I saw a hybrid DoD sedan at the corner store.

Last edited by Threerun; 01-29-2021 at 02:15 PM..

Old 01-29-2021, 02:18 PM

7,811 posts, read 6,439,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well it’ll have to be a Tesla or the Chevy Bolt. Those are the only options right now.
Does Tesla make garbage trucks and paddy wagons?

Old 01-29-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Does Tesla make garbage trucks and paddy wagons?
They could

https://www.tesla.com/semi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living