Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 03:29 PM

13,722 posts, read 10,085,414 times

Advertisements

Impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 05:31 PM

17,673 posts, read 17,865,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My wife had a Prius for years. Over 120,000 miles on it. I can say with a great deal of certainty (like 100%) that car had no issues what so ever negotiating high hill climbs. And we've got a few around here it was a little torque monster. Also never had a problem in general winter road conditions with Blizzaks. I'd love to see the roll out of an all EV truck. Some of the stats on the electric Hummer are mind blowing (if true). If these things have range I'd love an EV truck, especially one I can plug in at home. A silent truck would be an awesome hunting rig. I've been on BLM where there is a network of oil and gas roads and when a loud diesel rolls in you can watch the mulies blow out of the area. A silent truck? AWESOME.

Montana has a few hybrids in their pool. Quite a few. And the other week I saw a hybrid DoD sedan at the corner store.
A Prius is a hybrid, not an all electric vehicle. An all electric vehicle’s battery range is impacted by both climate and road conditions. My listing hills had nothing to do with power to climb. In very cold climate the electric heat will impact battery range as well.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:24 PM

19,912 posts, read 22,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
A Prius is a hybrid, not an all electric vehicle. An all electric vehicle’s battery range is impacted by both climate and road conditions. My listing hills had nothing to do with power to climb. In very cold climate the electric heat will impact battery range as well.
Oh I know- an all electric vehicle will suck a tad more juice climbing a pass, but on the downhill side a little regenerative braking will help recharge. It's still a net suck, but taken into consideration on range effect why would it matter?

I mean the same is true (except regenerative braking) for a car or truck, is it not? It takes power to climb regardless of energy source. My old 98.5 Dodge 2500 diesel got 18mpg all day long- except climbing hills.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:24 PM

206 posts, read 186,862 times
Seems a good move

Old 01-30-2021, 09:15 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,395,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
You can look at the GSA auction sites, and I've rarely seen one over 100,000 miles. Just looking at page one on this auction listing of over a dozen vehicles it looks like avg odometer of 60,000 miles or so.

https://autoauctions.gsa.gov/GSAAuto...er/5AFFFC21291
I guess what we have here reflects the huge size of the base. Normally GSA cars barely reach enough speed to make it through all gears.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:01 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,353,347 times
What is Amazon waiting for if it is such a great idea? Our neighborhood is overrun by Amazon Sprinter vans.

Old 01-31-2021, 08:40 AM

12,441 posts, read 8,238,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
This plan will never happen. Now, converting the Postal Service to all electric is possible, because the U.S. Government owns the post offices and the distribution centers, so adding chargers is possible. However, for the rest of the federal government who is working out of leased buildings that are privately owned they would have to renegotiate every lease to add these charging stations, and if you have ever been involved in these negotiations these building owners are going to wring every penny they have out of the government. In the building I work in we have 10 government vehicle parking spots, banished to the very back of the parking lot. GSA who manages the leases has to pay $500.00 per month per vehicle for the assigned parking. The public parking garage across the street only charges $79.00 per month but it doesn't have any chargers either and it's owned by the city so I doubt any would be added. In order to get 10 chargers added GSA would have to pay the entire cost of adding the chargers, and then have to pay a monthly lease fee. Now imagine that across the entire country. The only fast chargers available to the public is at Starbucks so if an employee needs to charge the vehicle while using it they will have to travel out of their way to do so. So here is a scenario, you are a recruiter. Your recruiting station is in a strip mall in middle America. You have your brand new Tesla to drive, however you don't have a charging station, and the building owner has refused to allow them to be added to their parking lot. You have a busy schedule of 5 visits today, but you have 110 miles remaining. So now the federal government is going to pay this employee to find a charging station, and pay them while they wait to charge the vehicle. Now you can't get to all of your visits and have to reschedule. How will the general public perceive seeing all these federal employees at Starbucks drinking a coffee while they wait on their government vehicle to charge, while collecting their full paycheck?
More USPS facilities are leased than generally known. I have never worked out of a USPS owned station. Because they are past their debt limit they rare "buy" anything.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:40 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,795,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I can tell you exactly what'll happen if you climb a long hill with a nearly depleted battery... Propulsion Power Reduced (PPR). You won't be able to go over about 40mph, and won't have any a/c or heat.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:25 AM

12,441 posts, read 8,238,177 times
USPS Awards Oshkosh Defense
The next-generation delivery vehicles will run on fuel-efficient combustion engines or battery-electric powertrains. The Postal Service, in a press release Tuesday, said the vehicles can be retrofitted to keep pace with advances in electric vehicle technologies. USPS expects the first delivery vehicles will arrive on delivery routes by 2023.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living