Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 06:56 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,897,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I have never used any weed control on my yard. To me the whole point is to avoid plantless dirt that blows away or becomes mud during rain. Weeds do that as well as grass. Are a few dandelions worth putting chemicals that are expensive and have unknown health hazards? I generally only mow every couple of weeks April to June and only a couple times after that. The summer heat plus a lot of shade trees zaps grass growth beyond that.

Having a few raised flower beds I'm amazed how many bugs and worms live under and in the crevices between blocks. In the far corner I now have a broken brick pile figuring it would be good for the bugs that are the base of the food chain.
My father hated dandelions so much that he mowed the lawn every other day to get rid of them without using chemicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 12:40 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
I have3 grass that fills up between my landscaping, but it take little time to mow it, and I use an electric mower I bought years ago.

I di not want to get rid of the grass, it looks nice as a break between the various landscaping beds I have.

Old 03-19-2021, 07:16 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I have never used any weed control on my yard. To me the whole point is to avoid plantless dirt that blows away or becomes mud during rain. Weeds do that as well as grass. Are a few dandelions worth putting chemicals that are expensive and have unknown health hazards? I generally only mow every couple of weeks April to June and only a couple times after that. The summer heat plus a lot of shade trees zaps grass growth beyond that.

Having a few raised flower beds I'm amazed how many bugs and worms live under and in the crevices between blocks. In the far corner I now have a broken brick pile figuring it would be good for the bugs that are the base of the food chain.
That's my feeling as well. We've had a week of warm weather and some rain, yard has greened up nicely. I can count three different species of grass, fescue, poa annua, a little bit of bermuda at the far end away from shade, rye grass...plus a handful of low green weeds, some blue flowering weeds, clover, and the dock plantains and chives. Anyway I like the contrast in the yard. The other advantage is that it does absorb water better.

Old 03-19-2021, 12:59 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
That's my feeling as well. We've had a week of warm weather and some rain, yard has greened up nicely. I can count three different species of grass, fescue, poa annua, a little bit of bermuda at the far end away from shade, rye grass...plus a handful of low green weeds, some blue flowering weeds, clover, and the dock plantains and chives. Anyway I like the contrast in the yard. The other advantage is that it does absorb water better.
Meh....Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid is your friend. I uses it liberally............

Old 03-19-2021, 07:45 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Meh....Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid is your friend. I uses it liberally............
Any type of lawn chemical manufactured by Monsanto, (now "Bayer"), I avoid like the plague. I prefer having wildlife on my wooded lot, not chemicals. I could care less about any lawn, my HOA doesn't care as long as things are relatively neat.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:50 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
WE have to have a lawn. It keeps our yard from washing into the river. We just use chicken poop for fertilizer. The chickens spread it for us.

I try to avoid using an checmicals or salt in our yard since we are on the river.

Old 03-21-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Any type of lawn chemical manufactured by Monsanto, (now "Bayer"), I avoid like the plague. I prefer having wildlife on my wooded lot, not chemicals. I could care less about any lawn, my HOA doesn't care as long as things are relatively neat.
The stuff can be made in China too and that's the worst.

Quote:
Four Corners investigation finds dangerous dioxins in widely used herbicide 2,4-D
One scientist said the product tested by Four Corners, which was imported from China, had one of the highest dioxin readings for 2,4-D in the last 10 to 20 years, and could pose potential health risks.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-...ioxins/4833848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
WE have to have a lawn. It keeps our yard from washing into the river.
I know that. The OP just said:
Replacing your lawn with native trees, shrubs, and ground covers not only can slash your landscape’s greenhouse gas emissions but also coax birds back to your garden and look great, too.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:51 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
Whatever grows in my yard without water is welcome. It's a mix of grass, crabgrass, dandelions, weeds, and clover. It's all kept mowed and looks green and works as a lawn. No fertilizer or weed killer or water needed.

Old 03-21-2021, 01:50 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
WE have to have a lawn. It keeps our yard from washing into the river. We just use chicken poop for fertilizer. The chickens spread it for us.

I try to avoid using an checmicals or salt in our yard since we are on the river.
My 0.75 acre lot is about 80% woods, mature landscaping, plantings, and some lawn. The ongoing major issue is one of the former owners planted awful English ivy that is nearly impossible to permanently get rid of. The low area near the edge of the lot is a brook that has water most of the time, and is a torrent during heavy rains. The extremely sloped nature means I have to watch for erosion as elevation changes nearly 40-50 ft across the property from the highest to lowest point.

Old 03-21-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
My 0.75 acre lot is about 80% woods, mature landscaping, plantings, and some lawn. The ongoing major issue is one of the former owners planted awful English ivy that is nearly impossible to permanently get rid of.
That's the only stuff I don't like. It didn't used to be here. Now it's everywhere. I like anything with flowers that the bees like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living