Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:50 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
The one thing I disagree with though is giving them this one medicine. I can't remember the name of it, but when a cow is in the milking line, the bull will often breed it, causing it lots of stress. Oh the cow likes it, smokes a cigarette afterwords and is all smiles and that, but it is stressed. This tends to cause the cow not to milk very fast when in the milking parlor. Because we milk so many cows, and it takes us 9 hours to do a morning or afternoon milking, we are hurried for time. Instead of waiting for the milk to drop, we give it this medicine that relaxes the cow and causes to milk out faster. Its not a steroid or anything, but I think we should just give the cow a rest and milk it later on in the shift after she's relaxed on her own. Unfortunately its just easier to give it a medicine. I just don't think that is good dairy farming.
LOL Maybe a stupid question- does the breeding have to happen every milking time? Is it possible to keep the bull away from the girls when they are in line ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 09:49 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,186,695 times
I think BT is blaming the wrong culprit( the bull) for this one.

We never used a bull on my dairy farm( AI)
However, until pregnant, cows cycle on a 21 day schedule and it is common when cows are in strong heat they with hold their milk at milking time.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:28 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I think BT is blaming the wrong culprit( the bull) for this one.

We never used a bull on my dairy farm( AI)
However, until pregnant, cows cycle on a 21 day schedule and it is common when cows are in strong heat they with hold their milk at milking time.
Maybe. We used to do AI but the family member that always did it had a few back surgeries and was laid up for a few months so we went to using a bull and never went back.

Of course back when we did that, we did a lot of things different because we were only running a few cows. Now that we got twice as many cows, two barns and really cramming too many cows through a too-small-parlor, things are not as they should be. That is both for the cows and for us.

I guess I always blamed the bull because the hair would be rubbed off those girls backs, they would be all sweaty and they looked pretty stressed by the whole deal. But having a hand shoved up in you would be pretty stressful too. So maybe the med is needed...the milk does have to come out or mastitis would be an issue???

Old 04-25-2009, 11:50 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,600 times
Nobody's answered my question, is most american beef full of growth hormone, Is that why it's still banned in Europe?

Old 04-25-2009, 12:05 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Nobody's answered my question, is most american beef full of growth hormone, Is that why it's still banned in Europe?
The answer is NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT!

American beef being banned in parts of Europe is political in nature.

So... Go ahead and enjoy eating American Beef. But be forewarned that if you eat 24 ounces of it at a time, 3 times a day for several years, you're probably going to run into health problems.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:06 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,639 times
Korea and China are buying up American beef, as much as they can; but they are primarily looking for the family-ranch type beef, not the feedlot beef. They care less about the e coli hysteria than they do about knowing where the beef comes from. Their protein sources are very limited. But China is aggressively looking into ways to raise their own. There are more hormones in peas than there are in beef.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:48 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Korea and China are buying up American beef, as much as they can; but they are primarily looking for the family-ranch type beef, not the feedlot beef. They care less about the e coli hysteria than they do about knowing where the beef comes from. Their protein sources are very limited. But China is aggressively looking into ways to raise their own. There are more hormones in peas than there are in beef.
...and the e coli problem has far more to do with the slaughter of the beef than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living