Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 12:23 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

Here is the organic beef available in Central KY: Laura's Lean Beef: Lean, natural beef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 12:25 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Another reason I eat red meat in moderation is because I believe that the hormones and antibiotics in the meat are especially bad for me as a woman.

So eat grass-fed, and buy from a rancher you know or whose reputation you know. This is more about the techniques used in raising than in meat itself.

By the way, I've heard for years about how girls are maturing so much earlier and it's all because of our diet. Anecdotally, my sister and I both started menarche very early - in my own case, at 9. This was in the 1950's, and since my Daddy grew up on a farm and his parents still had it, we had access to farm-raised food.

My daughter and nieces/great-nieces didn't start menarche until well into their teens. These are young women ranging in age, now, from 25 to 45 (my sister and I are 12 years apart in age). These are the ones who ate the diet that is being castigated now.

I've also watched the "what's bad for you, what's good for you" merry-go-round for a few decades now, and it all changes regularly depending on who has a book out or who needs a grant or what the current political atmosphere is.

All of which is to say, we don't really know diddly about how all this works, but it's very comforting to think that we do and that if we just eat the Right Things and don't eat the Wrong Things, we'll never get sick or grow old or die. And that WOULD be lovely, but it just doesn't work that way.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:57 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
We did have a very similar thread recently .

Let's be sure to keep this one in context to the forum - "Green Living".

So a discussion of how this topic relates to the environment would be fitting, but a discussion of what tastes better would belong in the "Food & Drink" forum, and a discussion of diet choice as it relates to personal health would belong in the "Health & Wellness" forum.

Some political overlap is fine as long as it relates to the topic at hand, otherwise - you guessed it - the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum !

Old 05-16-2008, 06:38 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
There are grain fed and/or finished organic cows and their fat profile and health is just as bad as conventional grain fed cows. Cows have to be grass fed and finished to have a healthier fat profile in their meat and dairy. The organic label does not guarantee a grass fed cow.

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by riveree; 05-16-2008 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: Please use Direct Message to speak to the mods...it is required on City-Data

Old 05-16-2008, 06:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Agreed, Tesaje. For example, flavor is a strong motivator in choices of what to eat, and if the meat-buying populace can be convinced that meat that is raised in a more environmentally friendly manner tastes better, that's a way to motivate them to move in that direction. Since it's TRUE that grass-fed has more flavor (if less tenderness) than grain-fed, that's a topic appropriate to green discussion, I would think.

The world isn't going to go green by fiat. That's never been a long-term workable solution, no matter how often people seem to try it. (See prohibition as an example of how counter-productive such thinking/legislation is, though people are still trying it with smoking today - will they never learn? Never mind, rhetorical question.) Neither is threatening them with potential ill-health. (The "it won't happen to me factor is entirely too strong in humans.)

We need to figure out ways to seduce the world into going green, and flavor is one of them.

The carrot has always been more successful than the stick, long-term. Probably because it tastes better.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:25 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
What I find interesting is that the grain is given to cattle to "fatten them up" for market. This is the same corn as that used to produce high fructose corn syrup, which is in many processed foods and beverages. If it fattens up cattle, what do you think it does to us?

All of this is a very good argument for eating natural, raw, or unprocessed foods. These foods are better for our bodies and better for the environment because they don't need the unnecessary processing that is common to most of the foods we consume.

How was that at getting this thread back on the original topic? LOL.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:36 PM

603 posts, read 2,358,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
4. The Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION:
Eat and drink what you like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
That's very cute!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:05 PM

5 posts, read 23,786 times
Another reason I eat red meat in moderation is because I believe that the hormones and antibiotics in the meat are especially bad for me as a woman. Especially the hormones, and it's my personal belief that breast cancer is linked to all the hormones in our food products. So the beef that I eat is usually organic beef.[/quote]

Actually the hormones from cows are not absorbed by people and tablespoon of salad dressing (soybean oil) has about 10,000 times more estrogen in it than in a pound of beef that was implanted with a growth hormone. So, it has no link to breast cancer. As to the antibiotics, the majority of cattle receive no antibiotics or an antibiotic (tylosin) that is not absorbed from the GI system (kills some bacteria in the GI system that cause harm) and it is not used in human medicine.

The bottom line is that our beef supply is safe, healthy and nutritious when consumed in moderation in a healthy diet.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:27 AM

314 posts, read 930,478 times
Did you know that all the anti-bacterial detergents and soaps we use get into some of our watersystems...once in the watersystem they react with other chemicals in our water systems and act as hormones.

This has cause intersex in fish (males grow eggs in their testicle tissues for example) some waterways and resevoirs have nearly 100 percent of fish effected. Some of us constantly drink these waters if we live in the right areas. Waters most effected are ones that have sewage treatment facilities. But stands to reason even septics could cause the same conditions downstream.

I just watched a big special here on the subject....everything from soaps to birth control compounds and other medications are thick in alot of our waters. consequences are mostly unknown.

So depending on where you live and where your water comes from not eating corn fed hormone treated beef wont necessarily protect you from unknown hormone ingestion.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:18 PM

14 posts, read 28,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Actually, the radio program didn't say to cut out all red meat and dairy, just be aware of the consequences of our actions. I think that many Americans eat too much red meat and too often. And cheese is worse than milk.

Another reason I eat red meat in moderation is because I believe that the hormones and antibiotics in the meat are especially bad for me as a woman. Especially the hormones, and it's my personal belief that breast cancer is linked to all the hormones in our food products. So the beef that I eat is usually organic beef.
Organic beef has many problems due to the grain they are allowed to eat. Grassfinished is the way to go, low in cholesterol, fat, high in Omega 3's, DHA, Vitamin E, Beta Carotene and CLA.
There are very visual ways of knowing if it is true grassfed
1 the fat is very yellow, if white been fed grain
2 the steaks are a reder type of meat
3 have to cook the steaks slow, can't sear them
4 grassfinished is allows NONE of the following, hormones, anitbiotics, chemicals, insecticides, GMO's, Nitrates, Preservatives, GRAIN and I only found one to actually meet these chriteria RustysGrassFinishedFoods.com
Have had their beef sausage and steaks and jerky and was awesome!! You can actually, really see the difference, after cooking some of theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living