Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 05:21 PM

11,969 posts, read 25,568,746 times

Advertisements

50 years ago nearly all beef cattle were grown by eat grass/ hay in an open field .

Today over 80% of beef cattle are grown by eating grain, esp. corn.

Grain fed beef has 9 TIMES more fat than grass fed beef.

---> Support you local organic farmers

Grain-fed versus Grass-Fed Animal Products (http://www.nwhealth.edu/healthyu/eatWell/grassfed.html - broken link)
Why Grass-Fed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 10:26 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,483,034 times
There's another thread that talks in length about the process of raising cattle (and it's effect on the environment).

I saw a documentary on public television the other day about American farmers and how they have changed so much in the past 100 years (especially the last 50). The film went on to state that most of the corn in the U.S. is high starch corn, also known as feed corn (can't eat it because it taste like crap, it has to be processed first). This corn is breed to have high starch because it fattens cows up and it's perfect for high fructose corn syrup. So, 50% of the corn goes to cattle, and the other half goes to biofuel and "food" (high fructose corn syrup). The corn literally speeds up the process of bringing cows to market because it makes them obese (the stated statistic was 6% fat in a corn fed beef vs. 1% fat in cow fed beef, I don't know what cut of meat they are talking about). Corn is not a natural diet for cows, so, that is why they are given antibiotics (I've read that most of the antibiotics produced is given to livestock???) - the unnatural diet gives them ulcers and they would die from their diet anyway if they weren't slaughtered first.

Anyway, I don't eat meat anymore - I just recently converted to a vegetarian diet. But if I were to buy beef for my husband, it would be grass fed free range.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:35 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,549,619 times
The reason for the higher grade given to grain fed cattle is economic. Way back when, corn was grown to feed horses that were used for everything from transportation to farm work, and thus needed the higher energy provided by corn (which is not a natural food for corn - however, cows WILL eat corn on their own right off the stalk if they accidentally get into a cornfield - I've not seen a horse do that, though I have seen them eat sunflower heads, they love the seeds). When the internal combustion engine came along and replaced the horse, the farmers who had been growing corn for horses were suddenly in big trouble. The government at that time started grading beef and, coincidentally, gave higher fat beef a higher grade, thus cornfed beef, and, thus, the farmers were saved.

Isn't history interesting?

For me, grass fed is much better than corn fed for the flavor, if nothing else. Grass fed has more flavor, albeit it's not as tender, than corn fed.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:28 PM

I'm surprised that high of a percentage of cattle aren't hay fed. Much of my family raise beef cattle in rural KY and ALL of them are pasture raised and hay fed, but aren't considered organic.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:55 AM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,284,878 times
NPR's Science Friday talked about this yesterday. Cutting out red meat and dairy from our diets would have a greater impact on our carbon footprint than adhering to the 100 Mile Diet. The suggestion was to eat more white meats, chicken, pork and fish.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,549,619 times
Tried that, doesn't work for me. The variation in what our bodies need and do well on is great enough that if you take politics and political correctness out of the equation, there is no one size fits all answer to dietary matters.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:33 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,814,391 times
1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
4. The Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION:
Eat and drink what you like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
There's another thread that talks in length about the process of raising cattle (and it's effect on the environment).

I saw a documentary on public television the other day about American farmers and how they have changed so much in the past 100 years (especially the last 50). The film went on to state that most of the corn in the U.S. is high starch corn, also known as feed corn (can't eat it because it taste like crap, it has to be processed first). This corn is breed to have high starch because it fattens cows up and it's perfect for high fructose corn syrup. So, 50% of the corn goes to cattle, and the other half goes to biofuel and "food" (high fructose corn syrup). The corn literally speeds up the process of bringing cows to market because it makes them obese (the stated statistic was 6% fat in a corn fed beef vs. 1% fat in cow fed beef, I don't know what cut of meat they are talking about). Corn is not a natural diet for cows, so, that is why they are given antibiotics (I've read that most of the antibiotics produced is given to livestock???) - the unnatural diet gives them ulcers and they would die from their diet anyway if they weren't slaughtered first.

Anyway, I don't eat meat anymore - I just recently converted to a vegetarian diet. But if I were to buy beef for my husband, it would be grass fed free range.
I believe you're talking about the King Corn film on PBS's Independent Lens.
That film is available in its entirety on Google videos.

king corn - Google Video

Personally I eat very little red meat (mainly for homemade chili) and here in KY there is a local organic farm where the cows are grass fed and not given antibiotics that is sold in all local markets. I also boil most of the fat off my meat before I eat it

Old 05-10-2008, 10:22 AM

20,184 posts, read 23,926,582 times
But FAT is what makes everything tastes so goooooooooddddddd..... ummmmmmm..... more please...

Old 05-10-2008, 10:44 AM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,284,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Tried that, doesn't work for me. The variation in what our bodies need and do well on is great enough that if you take politics and political correctness out of the equation, there is no one size fits all answer to dietary matters.
Actually, the radio program didn't say to cut out all red meat and dairy, just be aware of the consequences of our actions. I think that many Americans eat too much red meat and too often. And cheese is worse than milk.

Another reason I eat red meat in moderation is because I believe that the hormones and antibiotics in the meat are especially bad for me as a woman. Especially the hormones, and it's my personal belief that breast cancer is linked to all the hormones in our food products. So the beef that I eat is usually organic beef.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living