Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 11:26 AM

17,650 posts, read 17,763,295 times

Advertisements

Saw a story about a man who installed a traditional design wind turbine for his home and his neighbors are complaining about how it looks. The man is in the electrical industry installing solar panels and wind turbines. It got me thinking about discrete wind turbines. Did a search and found many new designs that are very discrete. Downside of these discrete designs are low power production compared to the traditional wind turbine design. One design is a roof ridge turbine. It mounts on the roof’s ridge and is a horizontal turbine. Another design resembles the old fashion terracotta clay pot exhaust extensions on fireplace chimneys. Say your home has a fireplace chimney you no longer use. You install this wind turbine on top of your chimney for discrete energy production while maintaining the aesthetics of the property and not risk the ire of the neighbors or Nazi HOA board. Though they don’t produce as much energy, they work well for those looking to maintain the visuals of their property. There are some that resemble the old style farm windmill so you have the decorative appearance with energy production.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 12:01 PM

10,053 posts, read 18,113,604 times
(I think you mean DISCREET? Can you please ask a mod to fix that in the title and in your post if you can't still edit the post?)

If one of my neighbors installed a wind turbine I wouldn't mind at all. I would just think they were trying to manage the cost of energy.

Old 07-06-2022, 02:18 AM

7,301 posts, read 5,185,498 times
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and we can't argue about tastes.

There are a couple problems with residential wind turbines-- They need to be placed high enough above surrounding obstructions to wind flow for optimal operation, and zoning laws usually don't allow towers so high that they would fall across property lines....

In regards the traditional "propeller" style vs the verticl helical style-- power generation is proportional to diameter, so you get less power from the smaller helix type...

...and that brings up the subject of power in general. A 400 W unit sweeps out an area of ~ 3-4 ft diameter. More powewrful units would be prohibitve in size....and power production falls off by the cube of the fall in wind speed, so that 400W unit would produce 400W with wind speed of 25mph, but only 50W at wind speed of 12 and only 17 W with wind of 6mph....and, most units have brakes to prevent damage at wind speeds ove ~35mph (no power at all with wind below 4mph) so you need a Goldilocks wind speed profile to be most effective.

I'm looking into wind generation for security reasons to power my hydronic heating pumps. I have a good wind average speed here, but would need two 400W units to keep batteries charged enough just to run the heating system each day (1.5kW) with little reserve for non-productive days.

it would seem home wind generators woud be a niche solution for limited, specific applications, and not a complete solution for whole-house energy needs.

A little arithmetic-- with wind speed averaging 10mph all day & nite, a 400W unit would produce ~ 50 x 24 = 1.2kW-hr/d of powwer...The average family uses 30 kW-hr/d.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 07-06-2022 at 02:42 AM..

Old 07-06-2022, 08:09 AM

5,771 posts, read 11,407,482 times
A downside of any wind turbine mounted to or near a home is likely the noise it will make. In addition a turbine actually attached to the house could create vibrations depending on wind velocity.

If the wind turbine is attached to a tower near the home, I would look closely at the sound level in decibels at various distances from the house, before making any firm decisions to install. Try to replicate that noise level with something temporary, and determine if that sound is audible in the house with doors & windows closed, then with some windows open (as may happen during mild weather seasons).

If there are neighbors within close distance, they might make big objections not only at the turbine tower, but at the noise.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:57 PM

43,265 posts, read 18,408,708 times
Not only sound but vibration as well. I was on someone's property that had one and there was a constant vibration in the ground. That would drive me crazy

Old 07-08-2022, 05:10 AM

7,301 posts, read 5,185,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Not only sound but vibration as well. I was on someone's property that had one and there was a constant vibration in the ground. That would drive me crazy
How big was the turbine?....Most of the units for residential use are in the range of 3-4 ft diameter for the vanes. I can't imagine that producing enough of a vibration to feel in the ground.

I'm interested because I'm about to purchase one but can find little first hand, credible experience with them.

Old 07-08-2022, 05:04 PM

221 posts, read 134,799 times
I wonder if the wind turbine would be taxed by the County as a new "structure"

Old 07-08-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
A downside of any wind turbine mounted to or near a home is likely the noise it will make. In addition a turbine actually attached to the house could create vibrations depending on wind velocity.

If the wind turbine is attached to a tower near the home, I would look closely at the sound level in decibels at various distances from the house, before making any firm decisions to install. Try to replicate that noise level with something temporary, and determine if that sound is audible in the house with doors & windows closed, then with some windows open (as may happen during mild weather seasons).

If there are neighbors within close distance, they might make big objections not only at the turbine tower, but at the noise.
Interesting. What would the noise BE, i.e., what would it sound like? The wind blowing? A snow plow? I have no idea at all, and now you've got me curious.

But I suspect that I would not be bothered by the noise at all -- it would be white noise to me. (The only neighbor noises that would drive me insane are things like stereos or TVs blasting ... mechanical noises like generators, a/c units, etc., don't bother me at all.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Now THAT would be bothersome!

Old 07-11-2022, 10:41 AM

206 posts, read 140,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Interesting. What would the noise BE, i.e., what would it sound like? The wind blowing? A snow plow? I have no idea at all, and now you've got me curious.

Personal wind turbine run pretty high RPM, so there is a constant flutter sound (trill with your tongue as per a wind instrument and then magnify so the outdoor environment hear / feels that).

And the occasional "Thump" (bird strike).

Wind turbines are troublesome to install and maintain. I would go for the less efficient, but simpler vertical axis turbines.

Old 07-11-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartNox18 View Post
Personal wind turbine run pretty high RPM, so there is a constant flutter sound (trill with your tongue as per a wind instrument and then magnify so the outdoor environment hear / feels that).

And the occasional "Thump" (bird strike).

Wind turbines are troublesome to install and maintain. I would go for the less efficient, but simpler vertical axis turbines.
I could probably live with everything except the bird strikes. I actually googled after reading your post and found a study that said bird deaths by wind turbines could be cut by 72% simply by painting one of the blades black. Such a simple fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living