Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 10:07 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,391,960 times

Advertisements

For those interested, tonight at 9pm on the Sundance channel they will have a show about NYC and its transit congestion issues and what they are doing about it.

link (http://www.sundancechannel.com/thegreen/#/docsverview - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 10:42 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,503,373 times
Was it good? If so, maybe I can catch it On Demand.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Was it good? If so, maybe I can catch it On Demand.
There were two shows. The first shows what communities are doing to get people out of cars. Showed portland oregon and their bike culture, showed some electric cars MIT is working on. VERY informative and well worth the watch. The second while talking about NYC was more about showing what European countries are doing, that was very interesting too. Both are worth watching and I think a glimpse into the future for America. Gas prices are not going to go down and we need to make peace with that fact and start to come up with sound solutions.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Gas prices are not going to go down and we need to make peace with that fact and start to come up with sound solutions.
So true . I think most Americans are starting to come to terms with it...I hope so .

Old 05-29-2008, 06:05 AM

riveree

I think it is like finding out your dying. First there is sadness and self pity. Then there is the anger stage then you come to peace with it. I think right no many are still in the anger stage. Blaming OPEC, Osama Bin Ladin, The Boogie Man and Santa Clause. They still need to get over all that and start to SIGNIFICANTLY alter their life styles. That and put the screws to their politicians. DEMAND better bike lanes, Deman New Urbanism in city design so it will be more walkable. Demand more tree lined streets so while walking you can get some darn shade (especially in southern cities). Demand congestion tax in downtown areas so that money can fund mass transit. We need to think big and demand quick and meaningful solutions to all this.

Also to those people who say "oh well Europe pays more than us". They need to go do some research. Find out if European cities are laid out like our cities. How walkable are most European Cities, do they have good mass transit, are they bicycle friendly? If they are all of the above things then comparing Europe to America is silly because outside of a few progressive cities, America has none of that.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
riveree

I think it is like finding out your dying. First there is sadness and self pity. Then there is the anger stage then you come to peace with it. I think right no many are still in the anger stage. Blaming OPEC, Osama Bin Ladin, The Boogie Man and Santa Clause. They still need to get over all that and start to SIGNIFICANTLY alter their life styles.
Hopefully, being the information society we're supposed to be now, keeping the dialogue going will help us all get past the anger stage.

I'm kind of giving up on the city officials and politicians. I'll still vote and do what I can, but I'm just going to focus on doing my own part and hopefully that makes some small impact.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Hopefully, being the information society we're supposed to be now, keeping the dialogue going will help us all get past the anger stage.

I'm kind of giving up on the city officials and politicians. I'll still vote and do what I can, but I'm just going to focus on doing my own part and hopefully that makes some small impact.
check sundance again for last night episode. was about green building ie making sustainable homes as well as recycling old homes. Very interesting indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living