Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 07:09 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I wonder how many people would give up their pets, with all their toys and clothes and accessories, which use so many resources.

I am hoping to use the aircon less this summer, which won’t be hard if this very cold weather here continues. Snow this week in the state, coldest nights for eighteen years last weekend, bizarre. Wettest year on record in Sydney, broke the 1950 record weeks ago.

This week more plastic products in our state have been banned so willing or not, we get to give them up.
Zero.

Don't even think for one second that America will sit back quietly while government declares our pets illegal. Enough is enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 07:19 AM

230 posts, read 165,470 times
That is an interesting take.

I tend to be practical about all of it and a little self centered. I do not expect that any practice I have will have any measurable effect on bigger trends. Yet there are still many things related to climate change and environmentalism that I am willing to do because they benefit me through frugality and the waste not want not conservation mentioned earlier by guidoLaMoto. My personal driving less and eating less meat won't change anything but both seem to be correlated to being healthier and cheaper. My choice of location isn't going to change coastal flooding but if I am buying a house I am going to take the idea of coastal flooding and changing weather patterns seriously as one of the factors.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:38 AM

474 posts, read 264,264 times
At 17,196 litres of water per KG..........

Quote:
“We see the consumer saying that chocolate is really something they cannot live without.”

— Mondelez International CEO Dirk Van de Put, on resilient consumer sales in the face of price increases.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:53 AM

14,317 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey_C_Earwicker View Post
At 17,196 litres of water per KG..........

Why is that shocking? Is it the amount of water it takes to grow cacao? Almost all produce requires a lot of water; amazingly, plants have to be watered to grow. And that water doesn't then disappear off the face of the earth; in various ways it goes back into the water cycle.

Or is it that people don't want to give it up? Does anyone really think that the global elites who are pushing a climate-change agenda on the peons are giving anything up?

Old 11-04-2022, 08:54 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
A second car. Most of a yard (I'm not quite willing to give up all of it). Keeping up with fashion trends in clothing and interior design.

Of course there are also the big ones that aren't really individual things. I'd be willing to give up all cars if there was efficient public transit. I'd be willing to give up air travel if there were alternatives even if they took more time. I'd be willing to give up food that had to be transported long distances but only if you could be assured of a good supply of locally grown food.

OH, YOU SAID CAR!.........I first read that as "cat"! and when I saw the thing about a yard going too, I was thinking it was so against my way of life of live and let live, provide for the animals.

On that note, real quick, I would say as I provide more for the animals, I give up more for myself.

Old 11-04-2022, 02:51 PM

1,700 posts, read 613,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Here we are in this messed up, mucked up world, full of wants that we don't need, and needs that we don't want.

What are you willing to give up?

Me, I very rarely buy anything new, and have taken to upcycling, re-using for totally different purposes, and making do with what others throw away.

As an example; I had a treadmill, that is now a work bench top, and a rack for metal. (A want that I didn't need. into some things, that I do.)

I also don't drive much, but when I do, it's often at the request of others. (Needs that I don't want.)
I don’t understand your post. Why should I give anything up? It’s cool that you like to reuse and so do I, but it’s also good that people buy new as it keeps people working. Without consumerism there would be far fewer jobs.

Some have mentioned eating less meat, and that is all good. I was vegan for many years but I got to a point where I could not lose weight on it, so I have switched to meat based keto for a time. I would rather eat vegan (or have more balance) but for now it will be meat centered diet. My point is that not everything is black and white. Not everyone eating meat is some kind of villain. People out their living their lives doing their thing.

Old 11-04-2022, 03:07 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I gave up listening to anything about carbon footprint, climate change, vegetarianism, coastal flooding, etc. a long while ago. These are other people's agendas to profit from. I'm not participating.
You are not the only one. I recycle, and I’m not wasteful. In nature, I leave things as I found them. These people who waste their lives worrying about saving the planet are using energy that would best be spent elsewhere.

Old 11-04-2022, 03:09 PM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
Hey Physics Guy...now that we have your attention, and not to change the subject too much, and assuming your screen name refers to your scientific expertise and not to any bowel problems you may have--

Your opinion?... The Greenhiouse Gas Theory is based on a phenomenon that ocurs on the QM level...Are we justified in extrapolating that to the macro- physics level? That's usuallly frought with pitfalls.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Old 11-04-2022, 05:01 PM

474 posts, read 264,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Why is that shocking? Is it the amount of water it takes to grow cacao? Almost all produce requires a lot of water; amazingly, plants have to be watered to grow. And that water doesn't then disappear off the face of the earth; in various ways it goes back into the water cycle.

Or is it that people don't want to give it up? Does anyone really think that the global elites who are pushing a climate-change agenda on the peons are giving anything up?
All of the above. Discovering a new more water intensive product, when I had thought beef was the most intensive.

Old 11-04-2022, 05:20 PM

14,317 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey_C_Earwicker View Post
All of the above. Discovering a new more water intensive product, when I had thought beef was the most intensive.
Is there a better use for water than to sustain plant, animal, and human life...??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living