Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 03:09 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Wrong! Of course you can pick up the athlete's foot fungus while going barefoot! Just depends on where you're doing it: public swimming pools, gym or school locker/shower rooms, other warm humid environments where other people who already have the fungus are also walking barefoot. Even your own bathroom at home if someone who lives there brought it home from somewhere else. You can also pick the fungus up from soil that tends to stay wet enough. The fungus is pretty ubiquitous. Oh, BTW, you can get fungal infections on your hands too. Ever heard of ringworm or nail fungi? Both can occur on hands as well as feet or other places on the body. It is less common partially because your hands tend to stay drier and exposed to air most of the time.
Note the highlighted sentence...You don't "catch" athletes foot. The bugs are always there. Some people just react to it more or less vigorously than others. Diabetics tend to have a delayed/weakened immune response, so bugs can more easily get established than in non-diabetics....and "local conditions" can make a difference-- warm & wet make for good growing condtions.

A fungal infection of the feet is called Athlete's Foot, a special situation of the more general diagnosis Dishydrotic Eczema.
https://www.healthline.com/health/dy...czema#pictures

Going barefoot is certainly more likely to cause skin trauma than wearing shoes (and if you live down south, you can pick up pin worms that way too). If your shoes cause problems, get shoes that fit, and the problem will be solved.

For those of you with OCD who may object to the direction this thread has gone, remember the words of that great American philosopher George Costanza, who said "A conversation should flow of its own free will."

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 11-30-2022 at 03:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 09:04 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Absolutely nothing.
For the simple reason any of our efforts are off-set times 10 by countries such as Bangladesh.

Old 11-30-2022, 10:36 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A fungal infection of the feet is called Athlete's Foot, a special situation of the more general diagnosis Dishydrotic Eczema.
https://www.healthline.com/health/dy...czema#pictures
Athlete's foot is not the same as dishydrotic eczema. I have dishydrotic eczema, and it cannot be cured, while athlete's foot can be cured with an antifungal treatment.

I am sure that symptoms of the two conditions can mimic each other, but dishydrotic eczema isn't a fungal infection. Fortunately, mine is limited to specific parts of the fingers and only flares up once or twice a year when the weather is particularly hot and humid.

Old 11-30-2022, 02:13 PM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
As I said, Athlete's Foot is a specific form of the more generalized diagnosis DE (read my reference article)... An episode of DE can be treated and brought under control, but the pt has a tendency to get it again due to his particular status of genetic +/- environmental conditions.... Compare it to, say, DM-- you can control it but you can't cure it.

Old 11-30-2022, 03:56 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Giving up stuff.

Old 11-30-2022, 04:02 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
As I said, Athlete's Foot is a specific form of the more generalized diagnosis DE (read my reference article)... An episode of DE can be treated and brought under control, but the pt has a tendency to get it again due to his particular status of genetic +/- environmental conditions.... Compare it to, say, DM-- you can control it but you can't cure it.
I read the article. It does not say that athlete's foot is a form of DE. It says that DE can be triggered by a simultaneous fungal infection like athlete's foot. That's a big difference.

As I said...I have DE. I know all about it. It has a specific trigger for me (hot, humid weather) and treating it is pointless. It goes through a specific familiar cycle (itching, then blisters, then peeling skin) and clears up on its own in about 10 days.

Athlete's foot on the other hand is definitely a fungal infection and can be treated/cured with antifungals. Antifungals do nothing for the vast majority of cases of DE since it is not a fungal infection.

Old 12-01-2022, 11:08 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,020 times
When people give up their private planes, limousines, then I will give up something til then just living my life, doing the best I can
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living