Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 02:01 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,098 times

Advertisements

I have been a vegetarian for around 20 years so gave up meat products. But, it would be hard to give up pizza and chocolate. I did great today though, because after dong weekly grocery shopping on bought no chocolate or ice cream even though both were on sale. I did, however, succumb to Whole Foods 45% off pizzas.

Airplanes haven’t seen me board for almost 12 years. Too expensive and crowded.

We quit using our wood stove except for when the power goes out. And, we have cut the thermostat down a few degrees.

We have always been thrifty and frugal so can’t see much more to give up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 02:46 PM

35,019 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Realistically I don't see anyone giving up things that are important to them. Virtue signal about others though; absolutely.

Old 11-02-2022, 07:27 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,383,237 times
Default Car

I willingly gave up my car 2 weeks ago so I no longer drive. With the money I save I can finally buy clothing and pay off my credit card faster. I live in a city of 1M so it's not really that hard. I can choose among 3 types of public transport or taxi to get around if need be.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:55 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I willingly gave up my car 2 weeks ago so I no longer drive. With the money I save I can finally buy clothing and pay off my credit card faster. I live in a city of 1M so it's not really that hard. I can choose among 3 types of public transport or taxi to get around if need be.
But did you give it up for "Green Living" or because it made financial sense to do so?

Old 11-02-2022, 09:25 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Here we are in this messed up, mucked up world, full of wants that we don't need, and needs that we don't want.

What are you willing to give up?

Me, I very rarely buy anything new, and have taken to upcycling, re-using for totally different purposes, and making do with what others throw away.

As an example; I had a treadmill, that is now a work bench top, and a rack for metal. (A want that I didn't need. into some things, that I do.)

I also don't drive much, but when I do, it's often at the request of others. (Needs that I don't want.)
I buy most reliable new to get longer life from them as building things is a material and energy consuming operation

Old 11-02-2022, 11:53 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Realistically I don't see anyone giving up things that are important to them. Virtue signal about others though; absolutely.
This.

I noticed an awful lot of people who think half the country is going to be underwater live in low-lying coastal states that will be first to be underwater if it happens.

I noticed an awful lot of private jets in Scotland where COP26 was held last year.

I noticed an awful lot of the enviro-zealots burn a ton of carbon.

For as long as this is the case, the enviro-zealots can go pound sand.

Old 11-02-2022, 12:40 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,030,049 times
The biggest thing I do is examine whether we "need" something before buying it. Second biggest thing is lowering plastic use, especially in groceries, not using produce plastic bags when buying veggies/fruit or plastic shop bags.

We gave up air travel but that's not a sacrifice because we both hate flying. We have a 10 year old car that is in great shape because we don't drive many miles.

Our hobbies are green: gardening, cooking 90% of meals at home, taking walks. It's easier when you are older and have already experienced distant travel and things outside the home that cost money and are fun. Young people need to live a little. I say charge the corporations using millions of gallon of water for golf courses and creating tons of garbage that we all have to live with. Green living should be done by corporations at a fair rate.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:31 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
After an admittedly long struggle, I gave up a lifelong dream to tour Antarctica and a couple other destinations. I'd been cutting Lindblad/similar sidebar ads for these tours out of magazines since I was a kid. When the financial and personal time goals were finally met and the trips became a reality, I found I simply couldn't justify my contribution to cumulative impacts plus the carbon footprint of all the transportation to reach them. Now I'm content to read books and watch videos about those places instead. Yes, I realize someone had to make those trips to compile those accounts, but I try to select those that were justified by research, educational, or conservation programs. I've put it to rest and no longer feel entitled to acquire proof of visiting those places in person.

Of course, there are lots of small day-to-day living choices I make, but most of them aren't new. I don't hop in the car unless there's a bona fide reason to do so, I don't buy plastic packaging if better options exist, I don't buy what I don't need just to have whatever it is, I use what I already have until it is truly worn out, conserve energy and water at home as much as I can, etc etc etc.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-02-2022 at 02:56 PM..

Old 11-02-2022, 03:37 PM

25,710 posts, read 12,786,330 times
I read recently, all Americans would have to reduce their current carbon footprint by 80% to make a dent in climate change.

80% means ditching cars, and HVAC systems.

So, who is signing up for that?

Maybe some urbanites in san fran, or san diego where the climate is moderate enough, but who else?

Not gonna happen.

Old 11-02-2022, 03:40 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,730,381 times
Lol. “San Fran”.

Anyway, not willing to give up much. I don’t mind more efficient cars, although for the love of god, quit it with these stupid SUVs. I don’t have anything at all against more green energy, so long as there’s no increase in rates or service interruptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living