Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 12:17 PM

453 posts, read 301,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I wonder how many people would give up their pets, with all their toys and clothes and accessories, which use so many resources.

I am hoping to use the aircon less this summer, which won’t be hard if this very cold weather here continues. Snow this week in the state, coldest nights for eighteen years last weekend, bizarre. Wettest year on record in Sydney, broke the 1950 record weeks ago.

This week more plastic products in our state have been banned so willing or not, we get to give them up.
I believe what you're describing is totally normal weather. What's bizarre about it? LOL coldest in 18 years?

EIGHTEEN?

Wasn't the city's coldest day on record 7.7ºC on July 19, 1868?

And using LESS AIR CONDITIONING isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to expecting people to GIVE UP PETS FOR NO REASON.

Why aren't you asking people to give up procreating? MUCH MUCH better for everyone not having to put up with all the expense and annoyance they cause OTHER PEOPLE.

In AMERICA We're paying for other people's children's MEALS ALL YEAR ROUND.

WHY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 02:15 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
I believe what you're describing is totally normal weather. What's bizarre about it? LOL coldest in 18 years?
It's a sad fact that far too many people on this planet don't bother to or are incapable of understanding the difference between minor fluctuations in local weather from one year to the next and planetary scale climate change. Every friggin' time there's an early or late season blizzard, heat wave, drought or flood they either lose their collective minds because they're convinced the sky is falling or they churn the endless debate over climate change all over again.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-03-2022 at 03:05 PM..

Old 11-03-2022, 02:18 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
My bad habits.
Which are?

Old 11-03-2022, 03:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I may give up a 3rd and 4th car, haven't decided yet. I gave up skiing years ago, when I got too old. We've pretty much given up air travel, preferring domestic travel with our 25' trailer.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:03 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
When I ponder the multi-billion gallons of water Americans flush down our toilets daily, I'm not willing to give up anything our government claims is a danger to our water supply.

I'm also not giving up my gas powered car.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:22 PM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
I gave up Lent for Lent last year...Does that count?

Unless you happen to run a benzene bottling plant and regularly dump your excess inventory into the local water supply, none of the things mentioned in any of the posts above make any difference to the envronment.

As we've calculated in other threads recently, human use of fossil fuel has minimal effect on [co2] and co2 has minmal effect on weather or climate. Plastic is made out of material that would otherwise be a waste product, so not using it doesn't change a thing. Avoiding paper products doesn't mean a thing-- paper is wood and wood is trees and trees are natural and 100% recyclable.

Many of the things mentioned above do apply themselves to conservation efforts-- waste not, want not-- a good philosophy in general, often with the practical advantage of saving money...Personally, I'm don't care about that because I have enough money for the rest of my life-- IF I die by next Tuesday-- before lunch.

Old 11-03-2022, 06:39 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
When I ponder the multi-billion gallons of water Americans flush down our toilets daily, I'm not willing to give up anything our government claims is a danger to our water supply.

I'm also not giving up my gas powered car.
Yeah, when I ponder the amount of aviation gas that the climate zealots burn flying around the world lecturing us about carbon emissions, the government can go F themselves as far as I'm concerned.

Air Force 1 in a typical airline configuration can seat 350 people.

Old 11-04-2022, 02:33 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post

EIGHTEEN?

Wasn't the city's coldest day on record 7.7ºC on July 19, 1868?

And using LESS AIR CONDITIONING isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to expecting people to GIVE UP PETS FOR NO REASON.

Why aren't you asking people to give up procreating? MUCH MUCH better for everyone not having to put up with all the expense and annoyance they cause OTHER PEOPLE.

In AMERICA We're paying for other people's children's MEALS ALL YEAR ROUND.

WHY?
I do not personally advocate people giving up their pets. But if the people who want many changes are serious, that would be part of the picture. And I cannot see it being accepted.

Sorry should have said that it was the coldest night at this time of the year. It is late spring here now and it was definitely the wettest winter on record and very cold. I have lived my whole life in this city and we are in the middle of a cooler wet cycle.

Look, we are being pressured to make major changes to supposedly stop climate change. Even though we emit 1.5% of greenhouse gases and therefore everything we do is token.

Old 11-04-2022, 04:32 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Look, we are being pressured to make major changes to supposedly stop climate change. Even though we emit 1.5% of greenhouse gases and therefore everything we do is token.
The pressure, even the drumbeats, come from NGO's that want to create an immense "gravy train" of freely available money, from productive people, to play around with.

Old 11-04-2022, 05:40 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
I gave up listening to anything about carbon footprint, climate change, vegetarianism, coastal flooding, etc. a long while ago. These are other people's agendas to profit from. I'm not participating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living