Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 03:34 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times

Advertisements

One of Sydney’s satellite cities, Liverpool, has rebelled against a 30k per hour speed limit in its centre. That is 18 mph! Speed cameras were catching people who broke the limit by a tiny amount.

It was partly to encourage people to walk and cycle but obviously not everyone is able or willing to do that. Especially when we have just had the wettest year on record.

https://www.nationaltribune.com.au/l...30km-h-in-cbd/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 05:11 PM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Your lucky you did not have to work with them in your job.

Yeah, they did a wonderful job of solving ONE problem and CREATING a even worse problem as a result!!!

As to 55 MPH, that was NOT a environmental decision. It was by three Republican governors. Evans in Washington state, McCall in Oregon, and Reagan in California that started it to save energy from the Arab oil embargo in 1973.

I was living in Vancouver, Canada at the time and drove to Berkeley after the speed limit and embargo went into affect.

It was about saving energy.

BUT, 55 MPH does work in reducing CO2 emissions by 20%. The environmental community has REFUSED to push it, simply because they know that man caused climate change is NOT the problem. Plus there is no money in 55 MPH for Democrat campaign contributors.

When the Democrats come out for 55 MPH speed limit, I will admit that the science has concluded than man-caused climate change is the problem.

Still waiting after 23 years and counting.
Nixon favored a 50 mph national limit. Congress compromised at 55 m.p.h. It started as being about energy conservation. Then the insurance companies bought in as "shooting fish in a barrel" tickets for 55 violations raised insurance rates. They got a bonus of surcharged drivers who were basically safe.

Old 11-27-2022, 02:33 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
One of Sydney’s satellite cities, Liverpool, has rebelled against a 30k per hour speed limit in its centre. That is 18 mph! Speed cameras were catching people who broke the limit by a tiny amount.

]
A particularly egregious example of stupidity--- You can't drive a car at 18mph in 3rd gear. You need to shift down to 2nd and thus run the engine at much higher rpm-- result-- you burn about 25% more gas per mile driven.

Being from The Land of Oz, you may find this site interesting with frequent articles about Australian governmental stupdity in regards energy & environment. https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/11/...il-fuel-early/

Old 11-27-2022, 06:57 AM

I hope that the belief of the enviros that renewables and EV's will take over from ICE's is merely naive and stupid. However, I really think that what they oppose (not for themselves obviously) is modern society, that includes high consumption of material goods. I posed this very issue at the Thanksgiving table, and received the response "well, we can't go on this way." I asked "why" and I received no satisfactory answers. When I said "I want to put the keys into my car (in the NYC area) and just come up here (to Vermont) and not even think about it, one of them said "I'm sure the technology will improve." It was obviously a vacuous answer, that didn't address the issue of losing basic freedoms. Some of them use the derisive term "Free-dumb." This was common on CD for people who opposed pointless Covid restrictions.

Old 11-27-2022, 04:17 PM

474 posts, read 264,128 times
Lots of cities in Europe and the US have been reducing their speed limits in recent years. DC has gone to 15 MPH in school zones. Otherwise, the posted limit is either 20 or 25, freeways excepted. There are other benefits apart from the safety aspect, such as allowing autonomous vehicles to more easily blend in to existing traffic.

https://qz.com/2056530/european-citi...street-traffic

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-city-and-life

Old 11-27-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey_C_Earwicker View Post
Lots of cities in Europe and the US have been reducing their speed limits in recent years. DC has gone to 15 MPH in school zones. Otherwise, the posted limit is either 20 or 25, freeways excepted. There are other benefits apart from the safety aspect, such as allowing autonomous vehicles to more easily blend in to existing traffic.

https://qz.com/2056530/european-citi...street-traffic

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-city-and-life
Cutting speed limits is an easy cheesy way to appear to take action about safety. Maybe the term is "traffic safety theater." Does NYC Mayor and Transportation Dept. deliberately gel up traffic?

Other ingenious steps designed to deliberately create traffic jams and make motorists' lives miserable include:
  1. Shrinking five-lane avenues, such as 9th Avenue in NYC (with happens to lead to a major tunnel) to effectively two lanes when the bike lane and the bus lane aren't counted;
  2. Traffic lights which restrict left turns from and to one-way streets;
  3. Two bus lanes, 24/7, on Madison Avenue, creating middle-of-the-night traffic jams;
  4. Blanket 25 mph speed limits;
  5. Massive Citibike racks taking up a lane of traffic for almost the length of a block;
  6. Traffic flow constriction on Third Avenue leading north to Queensboro Bridge;
  7. Traffic flow constriction on Second Avenue leading to Queens Midtown Tunnel; and
  8. The worst, concrete blocks reducing 43rd Street between Third and Lexington Avenues to one lane on the south side of the street for half the block, and the north side of the street for the other half?
Is there some mad genius planning, or political correctness at work? Are they creating the "congestion" to allow for the "congestion pricing"?

Old 11-27-2022, 06:59 PM

474 posts, read 264,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Cutting speed limits is an easy cheesy way to appear to take action about safety. Maybe the term is "traffic safety theater." Does NYC Mayor and Transportation Dept. deliberately gel up traffic?

Other ingenious steps designed to deliberately create traffic jams and make motorists' lives miserable include:
  1. Shrinking five-lane avenues, such as 9th Avenue in NYC (with happens to lead to a major tunnel) to effectively two lanes when the bike lane and the bus lane aren't counted;
  3. Two bus lanes, 24/7, on Madison Avenue, creating middle-of-the-night traffic jams;
  5. Massive Citibike racks taking up a lane of traffic for almost the length of a block;
  6. Traffic flow constriction on Third Avenue leading north to Queensboro Bridge;
  7. Traffic flow constriction on Second Avenue leading to Queens Midtown Tunnel; and
  8. The worst, concrete blocks reducing 43rd Street between Third and Lexington Avenues to one lane on the south side of the street for half the block, and the north side of the street for the other half?
Is there some mad genius planning, or political correctness at work? Are they creating the "congestion" to allow for the "congestion pricing"?
Wait til they first ban on-street parking, and then cars from driving at all. Then they'll turn deserted parking lots and garages into all manner of atrocities, and declare success. Utopia!

Old 11-28-2022, 04:42 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:

Good post.

A little logic-- If speed limits are reduced, that means it takes longer to get from Point A to Point B-- which means more cars on the road per unit time, ie- traffic jams....

For those worried about safety issues-- speed is not the problem-- it's stupid manuevers while turning or changing lanes...If speed were the issue, then we should see more rear end collisons as fast cars ram into slow cars.

Traffic flows like any other fluid...As any canoeist knows, unless you're going faster than the surrounding traffic, you're just a cork in the current and not in control....

...and CONTROL is what it's all about. As Le Baron de Montesqueiu said-- "Freedom is apparently the right to do anything The Law allows."

Old 11-28-2022, 08:06 AM

230 posts, read 165,358 times
Quote:
However, I really think that what they oppose is modern society, that includes high consumption of material goods. ... When I said "I want to put the keys into my car (in the NYC area) and just come up here (to Vermont) and not even think about it,

Do we have access to unlimited resources or not? Alternately are we collectively becoming wealthier on a per capita basis although that has problems in how you define wealth and how much you care about inequality in wealth distribution.

If we do not have unlimited resources or if we are in a situation where the per capita wealth is declining then it seems perfectly logical that statements such as "I want ..." might need to be curbed either by your own frugality in use of your available resources or by society in limiting the ability to have high consumption.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:39 AM

Default In the Year 2525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
Do we have access to unlimited resources or not? Alternately are we collectively becoming wealthier on a per capita basis although that has problems in how you define wealth and how much you care about inequality in wealth distribution.

If we do not have unlimited resources or if we are in a situation where the per capita wealth is declining then it seems perfectly logical that statements such as "I want ..." might need to be curbed either by your own frugality in use of your available resources or by society in limiting the ability to have high consumption.
I am glad someone admits that the real agenda is to level rather than the pretended "environmental" concerns. As a practical matter this results in a dystopia. Think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4U78n4WmVo

Excerpt from article about that song (link):
Quote:
If you're a baby boomer, you remember the 1969 hit, "In the Year 2525." Its apocalyptic message that mankind would do itself in before the year 10,000 was a stark counterpoint to the jubilation caused by the Apollo 11 moon landing that same year.

Clash (the interviewer): Do you see any possible themes between 2525 and Covid-19?
Zager (one of the members of Zager & Evans): Most definitely. "2525" talks about mankind doing himself in, and causing the end of the world. Hopefully with this mess, mankind can save the planet. I have faith that it will.
Do we really volunteer for this future?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living