Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 06:17 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience using lake water for irrigation? Our neighborhood is on a large, spring-fed lake.

I have been given two opposing opinions by people in the know. Was wondering if anyone has done it and if it reduces the amount of fertilizer needed, irrigation costs, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 07:20 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,193 times
A couple of folks on our little lake use it for irrigation, and it annoys us endlessly, the lake level is low right now because of lack of rain, and these bozos merrily water away. I swear I can see the level getting lower everytime their system turns on. I don't think they should do that.

I really don't care about fertilizing and all that, but I do care about the level of the lake. I know your lake is much bigger, but imagine if all the lakefront residents used it.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 AM

502 posts, read 1,735,570 times
Many people in my area have camps on lakes. They drink the water from the lake. I don't see why it wouldn't work fine for irrigation. As for fertilizers - no idea.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:14 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,460 times
If you live that close to a lake, you shouldn't be using a lot of chemical fertilizers.

However, you probably don't need to use fertilizers if you use lake water because the water will contain the run off of all the fertilizers that your neighbors have put on their lawns.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:23 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,211,653 times
Make sure there are no rules or permits required to do what you are proposing. Many communities have restrictions on this.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:26 AM

314 posts, read 930,619 times
if ya pump from a lake, depending one what devices your irrigating with you should use a sand filter. or at least a very fine screen or disc filter.

As far as fertilizer I agree that you should be carefull along bodies of water. One person being irresponsible can foul a lake. living along the water in runoff areas you should look into time release fertilizers that dont leach away with the first rain...they are more expensive but will be there thruout the year, this makes them really more cost effective and physiclly effective than regular fertilizer like 10-10-10. Folk along the water should feel more responsibility about what runs off thier properties.

Just for your info and to speak to the validity of my info...I own and operate a tree and plant nursery/Landscape outfit.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:48 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times
Thank you for the replies. We have about 1/3 of the lakefront, haring the lake with two other HOAs. We don't fertilize near the lake, but from looking at the lawns on the other side, I would say that they do, as their grass is full green all the way to the water's edge. And I am sure that some of our homeowners apply therir own fertilizer. We also don't have a lot of natural grasses in the lake, which one of the other HOAs likes.

I'm sure that the pumps required would be an investment and was thinking of using it to supplement our city water to reduce the amount of fertilizer we would need. Our lake hasn't seen any decrease in water, I think because of the spring, but I'm sure in a heavy drought, that we would see the water table fall.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
Be certain you have a legal right to use the water in a consumptive fashion.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:43 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
Best way to determine fertilizer requirement is to take some soil samples to your local county extension office. They'll test the soil for nutrient levels, or send it out to a lab for those tests.

Then you can decide what to amend your soil with for the vegetation (or lawn) and trees that are there.

Many folks are entirely too wasteful with fertilizer, having bought into the marketing of the chemical companies. They put down the wrong items, or too much of certain items, or not enough (if any) of stuff that's truly needed.

Even the big "lawn" service franchise companies use a "one size fits all" fertilizer system which is generally inappropriate for most applications. We get a laugh out of it around here (although it's actually pretty pathetic), because the national franchise(s) apply stuff that is killing the trees and lawns in our area ... because it's the wrong stuff/strength for our soils, climate, and vegetation. Most of the folks in our area with locally owned/operated yard care services are as ignorant, too. They put down all kinds of weed/fungal controls which are for controlling problems which do not exist in our climate/soils. And the "big box" stores run seasonal sales on nationally marketed lawn care products which don't address the issues with the soils in our area. You might as well just burn dollar bills in the fireplace for all the good you're doing for your yard ... although you may feel good about your efforts.

You can also take water samples from your lake source and have them analyzed for nutrients/contaminants. Again, a local lab or your county extension office can be of service for this testing. And you might just want to test your drinking water, too ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living