Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2022, 07:33 AM

615 posts, read 340,440 times

Advertisements

Discarded face masks are everywhere, they have quickly overtaken cig butts and pop cans as our most favorite litter. California again mandates face masks.....but straws are illegal.

While disposable face masks might seem to be innocent tissue-like objects, the truth is they're a new form of plastic pollution that environmental scientists are increasingly worried about.

Not only is face mask litter potentially contaminated with coronavirus, but masks are made of long-lasting plastic materials that don't break down.

They can smother plants, entangle or choke animals and potentially cause blockages in the sewerage system.

A recent study showed disposable masks can contain dangerous chemical pollutants and tiny plastic fibers and particles that can accumulate in the food chain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 08:18 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
National Geographic reveals that where 8 million tonnes of plastics flow into the ocean every year, plastic straws merely comprise 0.025% of the total.

Its all about perception; face masks "save" people, straws pollute. People are somehow happy with this.

Old 12-12-2022, 10:51 AM

615 posts, read 340,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
National Geographic reveals that where 8 million tonnes of plastics flow into the ocean every year, plastic straws merely comprise 0.025% of the total.

Its all about perception; face masks "save" people, straws pollute. People are somehow happy with this.
Please cite studies that have shown the "paper" face masks "save" people.

Early in the pandemic, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization, British health authorities and the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control all refrained from recommending widespread mask usage, often discouraging it. Dr. Anthony Fauci emailed in February 2020 that the typical mask “is not really effective in keeping out virus, which is small enough to pass through the material.” In a March 8 interview on “60 Minutes” he said that “there’s no reason to be walking around with a mask.”

Do you believe CDC and Fauci then or now?

Old 12-12-2022, 04:24 PM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
I put save in parenthesis because thats what we are told. I dont wear and have never worn a mask unless mandated to do so. Never did i believe i was saving myself or anyone else while wearing one.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:16 PM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post

Exactly.

"Environmentalists" remind me of Tom Sawyer's cousin Sid, always brown-nosing and tattling to Aunt Polly. They are such good people. They all deserve a cookie, even if their lack of knowledge and false hopes impose devastating effects on our standard of living and well-being.

Many studies showed that masks had no effect at all on altering risk of infection from CoV. Healthcare workers who had access to the most hi tech, complete PPE and used it properly still had an infection rate 6x higher than the general public...The CoV viral particle is 0.1um in diameter, while the smallest pores in a surgical mask are 80um across. That's like shooting a one foot diameter basketball at a hoop 800 ft in diameter. Even Ray Charles could get nuthin'-but-net on every 3-pointer...But "following the science" they still forced everyone to wear one. What hypocrites. What liars.

While I'm not an advocate for littering with anything, considering how many masks were forced upon us, a few escapees from proper disposal is hardly an environmental crisis.

Same with plastic shopping bags or straws...There's that famous photo of a sea turtle with a plastic straw stuck up its nose. I'm sure the younger generations are self-sanctimoniously impressed with that because bobbing for apples is a way too primitive form of entertainment for that tuned in generation, but if they had ever bobbed for apples, they'd know the photo was artifically staged.

Old 12-14-2022, 06:37 PM

257 posts, read 165,592 times
Plastic straw is so useless unless your jaw is broken and wired shut.

Old 12-15-2022, 03:13 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Straws also make for a less sloppy experience if you're forced to buy fast food and eat & drink in the car...

But I have to wonder why anyone would ever stop for fast food-- It takes 3 weeks to starve to death. Surely you can't be so hungry that you can't wait a few hours to get home to eat fresh food from your own kitchen.

As noted above, mathematically speaking, straws discarded haphazardly simply make no difference to the environment. Another Non-Problem.

Old 12-16-2022, 09:18 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
California again mandates face masks.....but straws are illegal.
California does not mandate face masks.

And AB 1884 prohibits full-service restaurants in California from providing single-use plastic straws to consumers unless requested by the consumer. The provisions of AB 1884 do not ban or prohibit the use of single-use plastic straws.

Old 12-18-2022, 11:36 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
I still have to "mask up" at my work all day, everyday. Then again, we still have COVID patients on the floor...

I see quite a few discards in the parking lot, from visitors...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living