Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:54 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
What will be interesting is the resale value of properties that are near windmills, windfarms, solar farms, etc. It is probably a very personal calculation. I, for one, find the large industrial strength windmills to be an eyesore. On the other hand, call me crazy, but I would love to have a railroad running through my back forty. Railroads tend to look like they fit, windmills seem out of place.
I tend to agree! A number of counties are starting to mandate setbacks that in effect will prohibit windtower installation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 06:42 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,655 times
Wink To each their own...

Quote:
What will be interesting is the resale value of properties that are near windmills, windfarms, solar farms, etc. It is probably a very personal calculation. I, for one, find the large industrial strength windmills to be an eyesore. On the other hand, call me crazy, but I would love to have a railroad running through my back forty. Railroads tend to look like they fit, windmills seem out of place.

Its funny but I actually like the look of the windmills. I think they are pretty graceful looking in design. Now, I don't know how the noise would be. That would be more of a problem for me than looking at them. As for a railroad, again that could be a noise factor. That said, I used to live right by the elevated subway line and eventually I tuned it out completely.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:57 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
Thanks, guys! You wouldn't believe (or maybe you would) all the things on-line about this topic. I'm going to drive by the property again and see if I can hear any buzzing because that would probably annoy me. It wasn't that bad in terms of view. In fact, I didn't even notice it at first. On the plus side, there was no house under it which means no house directly across from the one I was considering.
I just wanna tell you you'll have a heck of a time ever selling this house. Whether it's justified or not, many people will never consider it.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:26 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I just wanna tell you you'll have a heck of a time ever selling this house. Whether it's justified or not, many people will never consider it.
I agree, I've seen several gorgeous houses sitting next to power stations for months. Several even had articles sitting on their counters that power lines have no negative health effects. Unfortunately that just draws more attention to the power lines.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:31 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,996 times
Quote:
That's the biggest question mark Ron is resale value.

When I recently bought my property in North Dakota, I made sure there was nothing weird about it. No power lines except for the normal telephone poles going down country roads. Nice flat level piece of property with fantastic views of the high plains in all directions. I'm concerned because that area of North Dakota has a lot of wind and oil. The last thing I want is a 300 foot windmill or an oil derrick next to me. I could live with train tracks however.

It's one thing to buy property knowing there is an eyesore next to you. It's another to have it go up after you move in. Wasn't there something not too long ago about some company wanting to locate large windmills somewhere off the coast of Massachusetts? Kennedy and a bunch of other powerful politicians got the project killed because they thought it would be an eyesore and reduce property values. I guess they probably favor alternative energy, just not in their back yard.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
IMHO windmills and other alternative energy facilities, including hydroelectric and nuclear power plants, and the associated power lines should be located where the wind and water are available without any consideration for the effects on local property values. Our national need to reduce our dependence on imported energy is more important than the sensibilities or economics of the few.

OP – why are you considering this particular house? Are you planning to live there or just buy, flip and sell? In the first case don’t worry about resale value and buy the place. In the second case you are speculating and find another place to buy.

Power lines are environmentally benign and will not harm you or livestock.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:09 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,760 times
But it will affect your resale value whenever you do go to sell. Just know that going into it.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:49 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
If the power lines will decrease resale price they should decrease the buying price. You get a lower price and a lower resale. So long as the difference is adaquate go for it. Just do not expect a windfall resale.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:13 PM

955 posts, read 2,157,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
Its funny but I actually like the look of the windmills. I think they are pretty graceful looking in design. Now, I don't know how the noise would be. That would be more of a problem for me than looking at them. As for a railroad, again that could be a noise factor. That said, I used to live right by the elevated subway line and eventually I tuned it out completely.
It is an interesting thing. My dad used to live a couple of miles from a fairly good sized airport. When I went over there to visit, the jet noise from takeoffs drove me crazy. He said he never heard it. Now he lives about five miles from a rail line and the morning freight whistle drives him nuts. It is a very personal thing.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:52 PM

895 posts, read 4,248,009 times
Quote:
My husband actually develops wind projects and I for one think that wind turbines are beautiful to look at. There is no way that a wind farm would run directly through someone's property close enough to a home that someone lives in. I believe that wind turbines are placed based on a scientific model and they would make sure before they even started getting met data that there wasn't a house directly in their site.

When I lived at home, we lived about a mile from railroad tracks. You could hear the train coming and it was extremely noisy. I can't imagine what the people living 100 yards away felt! And since we're in the green living forum-- let's not even get started on the pollution railroads cause.

As for the original post -- my husband has worked in the energy industry since he left college. He's developed wind, nuclear, natural gas and coal power projects. He has never said a word to me about power lines except that he won't live in a house or neighborhood near the lines or a substation. If there was some kind of disaster and the lines collapsed, I don't think I'd want to be anywhere (by choice) in the vicinity of hot lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living