Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

High gas prices, views on rising gas prices, environmentalists happy or unhappy about gas prices, seeking opinions on rising gas prices, alternative transportation

View Poll Results: What Are You?
Environmentalist / Happy About Rising Gas Prices 12 19.35%
Environmentalist / Neutral About Rising Gas Prices 5 8.06%
Environmentalist / Unhappy About Rising Gas Prices 12 19.35%
Non - Environmentalist / Happy About Rising Gas Prices 3 4.84%
Non - Environmentalist / Neutral About Rising Gas Prices 1 1.61%
Non - Environmentalist / Unhappy About Rising Gas Prices 23 37.10%
None of the Above 6 9.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 04:20 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times

Advertisements

Being disabled the rise in petrol prices does have a big impact on me as the car is really my only way to keep a modicum of independence so I'm afraid it is now getting really VERY expensive in the UK. Yesterday we paid £1.30 a litre ( about $2.60 which makes it about $10 a gallon).

As someone who tries to be as green as possible otherwise I would not mind so much if both governments and car manufacturers had got their act together in the last 30 years and invested in new/already known renewable sources of energy and given the consumer a wider choice than simply petrol.

Electric/hybrid cars are at least in Europe still very rare and much more expensive than normal cars, and things like bio-diesel/fuel cost pretty much the same as normal petrol/diesel as governments are unwilling to lower the taxes even on greener fuels.

We have had the technology and know how to vary our fuels/source of power for decades now but due to powerful political lobbies and governments who are unwilling to upset the apple-cart, the consumer is left with at the end of the day very little alternative.

Public transport is still grossly underfunded and in Britain unreliable and very expensive . Other european countries do fare better in that respect but I still feel there has been little political will to help the consumer make a shift to other modes of transport or greener alternative.

When will politicians and car manufacturers realise that it is in everybody's interest to go "greener" ?

we have lost precious decades and now are all paying the price for what I see as gross incompetence at best and wilful corruption at worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 12:37 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
sav858 wrote:
So some positive things will come from these high prices.
I am inclined to strongly agree with this statement. It often take a crisis to move forward.

I only drive about 80 miles a week, so the higher gas prices don't affect me that much. I imagine I'll feel it alot more when shipping costs, and other petroleum based procuct prices really start escalating as well. If it was limited to higher gas prices only, I'd be cheering for them to go up even higher.

I'd like to see 90% of the SUVs, Hummers, and oversized pick up trucks off the highways. Those heavy weight vehichles tear up the roads, create a hazard for regular cars, and consume a disporportinate amount of fuel. Let's relegate those ridiculous vehichles to the museums where they belong.

So, one significant positive that I'm already seeing, is that people who own these type of monstrosities are feeling it in the wallet, which is influencing them to trade em in ( if they can find a sucker to buy them ) for more fuel efficient vehichles.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:49 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Default Another positive?

Old 06-13-2008, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,463 times
NPR had a think tank type talk on oil recently. On item that was mentioned was the actual earth oil reserves and the man that predicted the 70's oil crisis and more. His name was Hubbert. Minierals and other natural resources also follow this curve... Here is a link. Hubbert peak theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-15-2008, 12:04 PM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I am dee-lighted by the current cost of gasoline, and fervently wish it were higher.
Apparently, in my town, (Grand Rapids) people don't seem the least bit put out by the moderately high price ($4+ per gallon.) How do I know this? By the number of ONE PERSON IN EACH VEHICLE, THAT'S HOW. Until that changes, we can only assume the price is not a hardship to anyone.
I wonder if it's going to take $8 or more per gallon to crowbar the citizens out of their rolling cages.
that's really messed up.

You do realize that if fuel prices continue to skyrocket the more chance of higher crime,social unrest,war,poverty and death is likely?

While higher prices should spur more advances in alternate energy just keep that in mind also because in your attempt to make the world greener chaos may spew a few radioactive clouds on the Earth and that is hardly good for the enviroment.........

Old 06-16-2008, 08:18 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
I have mixed feelings on it.

It is good that it is creating innovation for alternatives, right now those alternatives are expensive and usually the people that can afford them are also the ones that could afford the higher fuel prices anyway.

But it will eventually have a trickle down effect just as many years ago not everyone could afford a car, now they are almost given away.

I wish the prices would have spiked later, me being in college with a real limited budget have taken a hit with the increase. I do not drive a lot, but I do enjoy traveling to parks and other places on the weekends. It would be better of course if I did not have my explorer, but I got it when I needed it for work, it is paid off and has a warranty and low miles and still gets 21mpg on the highway, so it still is not in my financial best interst to get rid of it.

I would like to see all these town zoning people actually think ahead and plan a more walkable friendly area instead of basing everything on people driving there. My town is horrible at that, Have to drive everywhere just to get something.

I live in the UK for awhile, loved just walking out my door and walking a short distance to get about anything I needed for day to day use, plus only 7 minutes to walk to work!

I really do not like how fast fuel prices increased, I think that has the biggest impact.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:28 PM

140 posts, read 562,787 times
Of course I am happy about rising gas prices!! What a silly question.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:17 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
Remind us to thank you when the world wide economy crashes into a depression.

YOu might think differently then.
it used to be that if the the US sneezed the whole world caight a cold. that is npo longer the case!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living