Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:11 PM

6 posts, read 7,326 times

Advertisements

We have 2-year old twins and so our current 1995 Subaru wagon (which I love, but is getting old) can't fit more than for (me, hubby, and two carseats).

Since we will be in carseats for a bit longer (and heaven forbid we have another child ) I was thinking mini-van was the only way I could go.

I would prefer a hybrid, but there don't seem to be a whole lot of options. We are NOT SUV fans (apologies to those who are) but we do have a lot of bad weather to deal with living in Anchorage.

My priorities are safety, room, and fuel efficiency.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Terise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 05:02 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,958,911 times
I know you mentioned no SUV's but what about the Escape Hybrid? If not what about the new Subaru Forester?

Here's a link to the Ford
FordDirect.com - Get A Free Price Quote, Build Your Vehicle, Search Dealer Inventory, View Pricing Details, Compare Trims, See Latest Incentives And Offers

Here's the link to the Forester
2009 Subaru Forester

Good Luck!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:13 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,810,300 times
If you're taking it to Anchorage, you might want to check with some people up there to see if the cold will cause problems with the batteries, or if the heater will keep the car warm with the engine shut off at lights.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,820 posts, read 58,384,592 times
my friends who have to drive Escapes for their 'gov' job HATE them when the going gets rough and it is COLD. And they get 'towed' in a lot.

Quite honestly I would do a search and find a used, low mileage, non-rust belt, AWD minivan, (ship it up) and just consider it a chapter in life. We have got 200,000 out of a couple minivans that we use as 'utility cars'. Unfortunately have had to put a transmission in each, but...once they are fixed, and new coolers added + I change fluid every 20k... $1200 is not too bad to spend on something that you can get for under $10k and use for 10 yrs. Beat the tar out of it, and kids spill stuff and after you build a few houses and carry construction material and paint and ladders... they get a little rough. But pretty low cost per mile and they get ~ 22- 24 mpg and are very easy to get fixed and cheap for parts, if you ever need any. I did have to put a water pump in one last yr - $13.00. ~ 30 min job to replace. Only one set of spark plugs in 120,000 miles, and running fine. Oh, and I had to add a can of juice to the AC - $5.00.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:43 AM

Thanks for tips.

Guess I should have made it a little clearer. We are not moving to Anchorage, rather I have lived here for the last 15 years.

Loving my Subaru wagon as I do, the Forrester might be the way to go, but with the necessity for two car seats, the problem I have is still the same.

Unless we want to go for an over large SUV (No, thanks), I think to fit more than the 4 of us, it will have to be a minivan. I just wish that they got better mileage (or that Subaru made one ).

Old 07-03-2008, 02:01 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,958,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terise View Post
Thanks for tips.

Guess I should have made it a little clearer. We are not moving to Anchorage, rather I have lived here for the last 15 years.

Loving my Subaru wagon as I do, the Forrester might be the way to go, but with the necessity for two car seats, the problem I have is still the same.

Unless we want to go for an over large SUV (No, thanks), I think to fit more than the 4 of us, it will have to be a minivan. I just wish that they got better mileage (or that Subaru made one ).
Minivans you want, hopefully I can deliver!

2009 Subaru Exiga officially unveiled

MazdaUSA - Wireless Tour

Good luck!!!!

Old 07-03-2008, 02:15 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,393,086 times
Minivans are not as good in the snow as a Subaru wagon would be.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the links, maybe I can wait for the new Subaru

Old 07-03-2008, 03:04 PM

I know...I love my all-wheel drive wagon, but again there is the space issue. We will need at the two carseats or boosters for the next few years and cant fit anyone else in the car. So...minvan momma I might have to be

Old 07-03-2008, 05:45 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,746,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terise View Post
So...minvan momma I might have to be
But the new Subaru is a crossover. So you wouldn't exactly be a minivan momma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living