Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:03 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,146 times

Advertisements

The School district's in my County have been expirementing with mixing diesel with Ether? ( i think thats what it is) and the fuel economy on the buses has risen by about 62%!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:55 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,634,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Yea, XP is way cool!

All TBP he cares about is HIS bottom line. Most of you probably don't remember his days as a ruthless takeover artist during the 1980's. He's just working to make his hedge fund more fat.
So he wants money. So what? What's wrong with making money?

If he's offering a viable solution, who cares?

Old 08-03-2008, 05:52 AM

955 posts, read 2,157,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
So he wants money. So what? What's wrong with making money?

If he's offering a viable solution, who cares?
Absolutely. The common denominator on these threads is that we need to look at a lot of different alternatives. When someone has the guts to put down his own resources to make it happen, then he is labeled a "capitalist pig".

How are alternative energy solutions to be developed? Do they somehow flow down to the masses from the politicians in Washington through the governments technical expertise and financial resources? Through the passing of feel good legislation? By promising that the solution lies in "looking at alternatives by funding studies"?

Of course not. It takes someone with a vision and willingness to take a risk with capital to "git er done". Why is this a difficult concept to comprehend?

Old 08-03-2008, 06:19 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,927,712 times
Default What happens if atlas shrugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Absolutely. The common denominator on these threads is that we need to look at a lot of different alternatives. When someone has the guts to put down his own resources to make it happen, then he is labeled a "capitalist pig".

How are alternative energy solutions to be developed? Do they somehow flow down to the masses from the politicians in Washington through the governments technical expertise and financial resources? Through the passing of feel good legislation? By promising that the solution lies in "looking at alternatives by funding studies"?

Of course not. It takes someone with a vision and willingness to take a risk with capital to "git er done". Why is this a difficult concept to comprehend?
Ron you speak the obvious but to so many it's a mystery.
When I was 20 my neighbor loaned me Ann Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". I think it should be required reading in High School.
Where would we be without people of vision and the guts to put it on the line? Why would someone risk failure without the possibility of gain.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:39 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post

I'm all for it, trust me, but keep in mind, he's not doing this to save the planet. If he were doing this on behalf of a foundation .... well, it may settle better, but he's doing this on behalf of BP ...

Plus, he's the guy who funded the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. He also stated that he won't put these wind turbines on his ranch because they are ugly ... I don't know, I remember doing research on this guy and he's all about himself and the boards he sits on.

Last edited by domergurl; 08-03-2008 at 09:51 AM..

Old 08-03-2008, 11:18 AM

202 posts, read 821,155 times
Default a good idea is a good idea

Hugo Chavez provided cheap fuel oil last winter to poor Alaska natives in villages struggling with skyrocketing fuel prices. As despicable as he is, the results were good and people were thankful. Yes it was a PR ploy to shame America who wouldn't help these people in need, but really, who cares?
Boone Pickens is a capitalist pig, who cares? Wind energy will help in the green effort. And it works. Europe is way ahead of us in using wind.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:50 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,347,398 times
Default Eis, ea, ba, bo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkalaska View Post
Wind energy will help in the green effort.
I'm not aware of any environmental analysis for the development of wind energy but I'm betting there is at least one. The Texas High Plains has more huge wind generators almost daily. I would like to see one of those analyses.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:12 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,927,712 times
Why is everyone so concerned about Boone Pickens motives.
The issue is can wind power generate electricity. I think most people will agree that wind can generate some part of our electricity. Can cars run on natural gas? Yes. Does it make sense to divert some of our country's natural gas to provide the energy for transportation? Sure. Will it make energy prices fall? Only time will tell. Since BP started advertising his plan both candidates for president have started talking about their energy plan or better stated what's wrong with the other sides plan. But at least it's a start.
Recognize the problem, debate the solution, then make it happen.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:38 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
I'm taking a wait and see attitude with TBP. He laid low for many years. Many don't realize what a shark he is. It's kind of like in 2000 ... when the oil people took over ... not to get all conspiracy-ey. But I can guarantee you, T Boone Pickens is NOT doing this to save the planet. He works for BP ... he himself won't go green ... come on. People shellacked Al Gore over his house not being green and nit picking him, pointing out his hypocrisys, why don't they do the same to Boone Pickens??? At least Gore wasn't pitching his plan on behalf of an energy company. The whole, put our heads in the sand and not see the big picture because he's talking a good talk is what has gotten us into this mess. Sorry, but T. Boone Pickens is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:40 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,744,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I'm all for it, trust me, but keep in mind, he's not doing this to save the planet. If he were doing this on behalf of a foundation .... well, it may settle better, but he's doing this on behalf of BP ...

Plus, he's the guy who funded the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. He also stated that he won't put these wind turbines on his ranch because they are ugly ... I don't know, I remember doing research on this guy and he's all about himself and the boards he sits on.
Now all it takes is for these truths to be spread to expose what he really is.Too bad the media is not accessible to us. Well there is always the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living