Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:31 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,221,590 times

Advertisements

If you have please be so kind and save your response for this thread

https://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...nal-speed.html

it would also be useful if you had any stats relating to my belief that consumers are not buying small enviromenatlly friendlier cars because of the fear of being totalled by speeding suv's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 01:56 PM

11,431 posts, read 24,571,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post

it would also be useful if you had any stats relating to my belief that consumers are not buying small enviromenatlly friendlier cars because of the fear of being totalled by speeding suv's
What about semi trucks? No one is immune to those.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:29 PM

515 posts, read 2,491,209 times
Its never deterred me from buying small but it certainly makes me more careful when I drive. I was in my little Honda CRX once and an ass in his Hummer got pissed when I was apparently in his way. (Mind you I was not driving crazy and I was in the center - not the passing lane) He swerved back and forth in front of me like a maniac to show me "my place". Since then I've been extra alert when I see one of those on the road.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:50 PM

955 posts, read 2,163,384 times
Quote:

Now that oil is dropping and there is a good chance that his trend will continue, it seems like a new page in the playbook is being opened up. Many posters are now shifting to this argument: "Here is another reason to ban SUV's since fuel prices aren't driving the argument any longer. Let's see... I know! Let's get a movement going to ban SUV's based on the fact that they are a terror to small car drivers."

I don't know where everyone else drives, but I also hear these anecdotal stories about "the big bad Hummer running me off the road." You guys must live in an area that has every third vehicle being a Hummer the way the stories are flying hot and heavy.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:33 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,057,297 times
Quote:

Huh uh. I'm stayin' outa that one. It's totally futile. As you can see for yourself, people are going to respond mostly via gut reactions. I'm surprised (not that I've read the whole thread, anyway) that it hasn't turned political, with you being called a liberal.

Quote:
Maybe something like this will help. Doubt it. Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to argue on this subject.

Crashtest.com - Vehicle Weight Class

Old 07-18-2008, 08:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,890,829 times
I can't give stats, but personally I won't let my wife drive anything smaller than a Maxima. I doubt I'd ever do it either (We both drive Maximas).

Old 07-18-2008, 09:41 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,462,300 times
I am turned off because they are to darn small inside. Not bad for around town, but for anything over an hour it is too much for me, I start to go crazy and my legs and rear hurt like heck.

I am too poor to afford 2 cars, one for around town and one for everywhere else, to bad they do not allow golf carts on city streets.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:49 AM

44,734 posts, read 61,999,629 times
The smaller cars, the so called green cars will cost you a premium at the dealers. You try to trade in or sell your current non green car, SUV, you take it in the shorts, as they have depreciated by a whopping amount of money. Figure out what you'll lose selling your old vehicle vs the cost of the new greenies and you'll see in most cases it'll cost you an arm and a leg. So I'd drive my old vehicle until it falls apart, then maybe consider one of the newer models.
Safety wise, the bigger the better.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:55 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,221,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
The smaller cars, the so called green cars will cost you a premium at the dealers. You try to trade in or sell your current non green car, SUV, you take it in the shorts, as they have depreciated by a whopping amount of money. Figure out what you'll lose selling your old vehicle vs the cost of the new greenies and you'll see in most cases it'll cost you an arm and a leg. So I'd drive my old vehicle until it falls apart, then maybe consider one of the newer models.
Safety wise, the bigger the better.

what a load of nonsense. according to just about every poster on my thread below, nobody shuns a small vehicle because of the bohemoths which grace their presence on our roads!
care to enlighten some of them?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/automotive/382290-suv-drivers-should-subject-national-speed.html

Old 07-19-2008, 12:58 AM

44,734 posts, read 61,999,629 times
Moderator cut: edit Google the stories, there many of them.

Last edited by riveree; 07-19-2008 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: personal attack...please attack the idea, not the member, no name calling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living