Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 04:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Tougher emission standards and heavier cars due to safety standards and everyone wants a 5 star crash rating. Sad, but true.

People have long said that the auto industry is in bed with big oil, but I've always disagreed with that, and it is showing very clearly since gas prices started rising. Manufacturers are doing everything they can to increase mileage because they are very aware that a 2mpg difference on the sticker can be the difference between someone choosing their car, or the competition's.
Sorry, but I don't buy this argument. A few air bags isn't going to change the fuel economy of a car that much. The Toyota we had passed all the crash tests, same ones done today were done then. It didn't have air bags but it had the rest of the safety features, crumple zones, etc. As for emission standards, the car was 'certified' for California emission standards way back then. For a short time MN required emission testing and the car passed each and every time. If someone can prove to me that the GVW of our 1989 Corolla was that much lighter then a 2008 then maybe but I just don't buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 03:23 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
But anywho, an extra 5-6mpg's will save me a few bucks a week, and cut a few bucks out of what I'm paying the oil companies and the middle east countries.

Excellent ideas!

But only about 18 percent of our petroleum imports came from the Persian Gulf in 2007. 48 percent (with Canada being the largest supplier) came from the Western hemisphere.
Yeah but did you see the environmental nightmare caused by the harvesting of the oil in CA? Its not liquid its deep and its mucky oil that has a huge cost to the environment.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:25 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
I posted this in another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
How about hypermiling to add to the green list.

I think the expression was coined by hybrid owners but really anyone can do it.

From www.hypermiling.com:
"It is a method of increasing your car's gas mileage by making skillful changes in the way you drive, allowing you to save gas."

Ever since I heard of this common sense approach to driving, I've been getting so much better gas mileage and honestly my truly bad road rage problem is finally totally gone. For me that was probably the best outcome, more than saving gas.

Basically the approach is that you never really want to put your foot on the break because you are wasting energy you have just created with your gas. Also, anytime you are sitting still, you are getting ZERO miles per gallon so you never want to be sitting idle while running the car if you can help it.

So you drive by looking at red break lights way way up ahead. You keep a nice distance between cars. This way when someone breaks far up ahead you immediately take your foot off the gas and coast for FREE rather than going strong and then breaking as most people do.

Its also coasting to red lights rather than driving up and stopping (unless people are behind you getting annoyed).

In stop and go traffic its all about keeping the car moving at a steady but slow (since you're in traffic) pace while never ever coming to a full stop if you can help it, so that means you keep a large space between you and the next car and you keep it slow and steady instead of gassing then breaking as everyone in traffic does. I have become such a calm patient driver and it was an instantaneous change to actually quite a bad personal issue of mine. Now cured and I save lots of gas!

Its actually fun to track how much gas mileage you're getting if your car shows that, as mine does, I always turn it right on to the MPG tracker function and it changes up and down as I'm doing well coasting a lot or breaking and stopping a lot.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:58 AM

502 posts, read 1,735,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Sorry, but I don't buy this argument. A few air bags isn't going to change the fuel economy of a car that much. The Toyota we had passed all the crash tests, same ones done today were done then. It didn't have air bags but it had the rest of the safety features, crumple zones, etc. As for emission standards, the car was 'certified' for California emission standards way back then. For a short time MN required emission testing and the car passed each and every time. If someone can prove to me that the GVW of our 1989 Corolla was that much lighter then a 2008 then maybe but I just don't buy it.
curb weight 2009 corolla - 2822
curb weight 1989 corolla - 2242
big difference in weight. The 89 also doesn't have air bags, abs, traction control or stability control. These safety systems add weight, which will make a vehicle less energy efficient.
Toyota Corolla Performance & Specs
1989 Toyota Corolla Specs and Features - MSN Autos

Hypermilers can drive me nuts. Just yesterday I was stuck behind someone going roughly 15 through town so they could make the lights. Meanwhile, i am stuck behind them traveling the 200 yards to the next light at that speed, while if they had sped up to the 30 mph speed limit, I could have gotten to my turn before the light much quicker. yeah - a few seconds isn't that big a deal, but it still annoyed the crap out of me. I also go crazy following people who drive 5-10-15 under the speed limit. It seems to happen more often that not.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:06 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,027 times
I was around during the last energy crunch, back when we had to wait in lines for hours for gas. The government mandated 55 mph on all highways.
I didn't know there was a name for it, but I've been practicing hypermiling for years. I always blow past the epa's estimated mpg's.
I'm often surprised that with gas prices, more people don't practice hypermiling.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:49 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post

Hypermilers can drive me nuts. Just yesterday I was stuck behind someone going roughly 15 through town so they could make the lights. Meanwhile, i am stuck behind them traveling the 200 yards to the next light at that speed,
So...did you make the lights too...or did you have to add wear to your brakes by stopping at each light? My guess is that you had to make one turn and you got to that intersection at the same light cycle you would have if you had gone faster, only without having to use your brakes.

Most of the towns around here have their lights (at least on the main streets) timed so there is a particular speed where you can get them all green. In fact I remember one town used to have a small sign posted by each light "Traffic lights set for 22 mph" even though the law said the speed limit through that area was 25. That probably did more to control speeding than the 25 MPH signs posted along the side of the street.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:28 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,027 times
I used to drive into DC on 16th, I discovered that if I could maintain a steady 27 mph I just flowed never stopping for a light. It didn't work during rush hours.
Here in southwest Florida the lights don't seem to have been synchronized that well, but I still drive the lights. Minor adjustments of speed does a lot to keep me from coming to a complete stop. I know that some people may get frustrated (my wife) but then I get frustrated when people fly by and slam on their breaks, come to a complete stop and force me to stop just to have a light turn green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living