Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:47 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,656,462 times

Advertisements

I am just learning to go green. We have saved our cans for years but this year started finally sorting out my paper and cans and plastic. I now have a container I put old batteries in to take to a shop to recycle. I bought the cloth bags so I take those to the store now which I feel good about. I have lots of plastic sacks saved and I reuse those and whatever else I can think of.
I'm taking baby steps...what's next that I can do. I know I haven't changed my light bulbs yet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 09:33 PM

132 posts, read 461,768 times
Start composting. You will be amazed at the difference in the amount of garbage you DON'T throw out every week.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:17 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,656,462 times
Does that smell???? I know my older Aunt does that and was surprised that I didn't do that. I do like the flowers in my yard and I guess I could use that.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:13 AM

No, assuming you don't compost meat, dairy, or oily products. There are lots of books that can help you evaluate the pros and cons of different composting options (hot vs cold, open vs. closed containers etc.) And a lot will depend on where you live and how much space you have.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:15 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,496,651 times
A few ideas :

*Grow a garden for your own organic veggies/fruit

*Collect rainwater in a rainbarrel

*Stop junkmail

*Switch to biodegradable soap, detergent, etc.

*Consider going vegetarian or making some diet changes for lower environmental impact

Old 09-15-2008, 07:06 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,034,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I am just learning to go green. We have saved our cans for years but this year started finally sorting out my paper and cans and plastic. I now have a container I put old batteries in to take to a shop to recycle. I bought the cloth bags so I take those to the store now which I feel good about. I have lots of plastic sacks saved and I reuse those and whatever else I can think of.
I'm taking baby steps...what's next that I can do. I know I haven't changed my light bulbs yet...
First of all, welcome to the movement! It's great to hear people wanting to make changes that will help make the world a better place.

I saw in your profile you are a Christian, here is a link to a great book I read earlier this year (heard this guy on a podcast from Mars Hill Church in Grand Rapids, MI) called Serve God, Save the Planet by Dr. Matthew Sleeth. This link offers 50 practical tips to get started - many you may already do. Check out the book if you get a chance, it was a huge eye opener for me.

Servegodsavetheplanet.org » Practical Tips to Get Started (http://servegodsavetheplanet.org/?page_id=102 - broken link)

Been to Oxford a few times - had a friend and cousin who went to Miami, nice little town!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
A few ideas :

*Grow a garden for your own organic veggies/fruit

*Collect rainwater in a rainbarrel

*Stop junkmail

*Switch to biodegradable soap, detergent, etc.

*Consider going vegetarian or making some diet changes for lower environmental impact
I wholeheartedly second the vegetarian diet. It is crazy how many resources it takes to raise meat. We did the veg. thing for a year and my husband couldn't take it anymore! Now we do meat 3-4 days per week and veg. the rest. And on the days we do meat, it is not the main portion of the meal.

This week, we bought one whole chicken, 2 pounds of ground beef, and one salmon fillet and that is 5 meals for us (a family of 6). I'd rather not do any meat, but I am satisfied with our compromise (for now!). Last week, we only ate meat 2 days.

I think it is a good investment in your health as well, and that's good for the planet.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:22 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,034,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessatar View Post
I wholeheartedly second the vegetarian diet. It is crazy how many resources it takes to raise meat. We did the veg. thing for a year and my husband couldn't take it anymore! Now we do meat 3-4 days per week and veg. the rest. And on the days we do meat, it is not the main portion of the meal.

This week, we bought one whole chicken, 2 pounds of ground beef, and one salmon fillet and that is 5 meals for us (a family of 6). I'd rather not do any meat, but I am satisfied with our compromise (for now!). Last week, we only ate meat 2 days.

I think it is a good investment in your health as well, and that's good for the planet.
Agreed, some people think they have to have meat for their diets, but they don't. That said, I love a good burger or steak from time to time, but I don't deem it necessary to have meat daily or anything like that. So I think your compromise is a good one - if everyone did it, would make a huge positive impact on our environment and would probably help bring obesity rates down in our country. It takes 10 times more energy, water & grain to produce a pound of meat than it does to produce a pound of cheese or milk.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:29 AM

71 posts, read 206,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Agreed, some people think they have to have meat for their diets, but they don't. That said, I love a good burger or steak from time to time, but I don't deem it necessary to have meat daily or anything like that. So I think your compromise is a good one - if everyone did it, would make a huge positive impact on our environment and would probably help bring obesity rates down in our country. It takes 10 times more energy, water & grain to produce a pound of meat than it does to produce a pound of cheese or milk.
If everyone did it, no one could afford a loaf of bread!

Old 09-16-2008, 10:30 AM

483 posts, read 1,563,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
First of all, welcome to the movement! It's great to hear people wanting to make changes that will help make the world a better place.

I saw in your profile you are a Christian, here is a link to a great book I read earlier this year (heard this guy on a podcast from Mars Hill Church in Grand Rapids, MI) called Serve God, Save the Planet by Dr. Matthew Sleeth. This link offers 50 practical tips to get started - many you may already do. Check out the book if you get a chance, it was a huge eye opener for me.

Servegodsavetheplanet.org » Practical Tips to Get Started (http://servegodsavetheplanet.org/?page_id=102 - broken link)

Been to Oxford a few times - had a friend and cousin who went to Miami, nice little town!

Thanks for the link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living