Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 11:05 AM

468 posts, read 1,887,867 times

Advertisements

I really enjoy much of the programming on the Green Planet Channel. To the point, my wife leaves the room when Living With Ed comes on. I'm addicted. However, a show with Emeril comes on about Green Cooking. I don't get where anything on that show might resemble "Green". I would thing buying produce grown locally or possibly like Ed Bagley, Jr., cooking in his solar oven, (which his wife hates) is more the definition of Green Cooking. I'm sure everything Emeril and his guest prepares is totally awesum but does it reduce the carbon footprint?

Your thoughts on Green Cooking? What is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 11:23 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,403,143 times
I would think that Green Cooking would be about being conscious of and trying to reduce your carbon footprint.

A number one item in towards that would be eating locally grown organic produce and meats (if you're into that sort of thing) to reduce the mileage transporting the food and the chemicals applied to conventional produce. Less meat is better, as commercially raised meat uses vast economic and environmental resources.

The greenest "cooking" would be a raw diet, where you don't use energy to cook anything. Barring that, I would think really green would be a solar oven or in the winter using your heat source (such as a fireplace) to cook with in the wintertime. It wouldn't be carbon neutral, but you'd be using the wood for both heat and cooking, and part of being green is about using things in as may ways as possible, right? If you have solar panels for your home and an electric stove, that's pretty carbon neutral as well.

I try to eat a lot of fresh salads in the summer using local produce and I grill outdoors using a mini charcoal grill. In the winter, I make a lot of stews, soups and chilis using my electric oven and end of season produce that I bought on sale and froze. I'd love to know about more ways to cook green.

Anyone out there know the 'green' ratings for cooking with propane, wood, electric or charcoal? I'm sure some are better than others.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:23 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,476,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korel View Post
I really enjoy much of the programming on the Green Planet Channel. To the point, my wife leaves the room when Living With Ed comes on. I'm addicted. However, a show with Emeril comes on about Green Cooking. I don't get where anything on that show might resemble "Green". I would thing buying produce grown locally or possibly like Ed Bagley, Jr., cooking in his solar oven, (which his wife hates) is more the definition of Green Cooking. I'm sure everything Emeril and his guest prepares is totally awesum but does it reduce the carbon footprint?

Your thoughts on Green Cooking? What is it?
I looked up Planet Green's description of the show:

About the Show: Emeril Green : Green Celebrities : Planet Green

It looks like they'll be working closely with Whole Foods:

Values & Actions Overview | WholeFoodsMarket.com

So I'd say most of their ingredients will be green. Could the ingredients be greener? Sure, Emeril could have an organic garden of his own behind the studio, but for the sake of showing the viewers a green option, I think Whole Foods fits that request just fine. So there's some thought behind where the ingredients come from and their impact on the environment...I think that's a fresh angle on the typical cooking show (though Emeril is certainly not the first one to show you where the ingredients come from).

The show description also says Emeril will be cooking vegetarian fare, which we know has a lower impact on the environment. He's going to be combining cooked and non-cooked foods together (no cooking, no energy used).

So it's no solar oven Ed Begley Jr style (I love that too !), but I can see where Emeril can show viewers how to make subtle changes that will have a cumulative lowering effect on the carbon footprint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living