Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

British study calls for meat and cow’s milk rationing, government control of meat and dairy industries, eliminate giving milk and meat to third world countries

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:14 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Is rain included in these figures?
Yes. Those figures are (as you probably noted in the original email) from California where much of the water must be brought to farms for irrigation all the way from the Sierra Nevada. Most of those valleys don't see nearly the rain you do in Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 09:22 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,607,255 times
This can all go away and we can all eat meat to our heart's content if we will all think smaller - like rabbit. very few animals use the whole animal, but rabbit comes pretty close, and you can use their droppings on gardens without having to age it first. They take up way less space, can be raised by children and even in the city and double as pets. They can be house trained and are virtually disease free.

Yup, we all need to switch from beef and pork to rabbit. Our environment will thank us for it.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:38 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Actually Goat is the most consumed meat in the world followed closely by pork. I also believe that the bison herds of pre-industrial america were more plentiful then beef production of today. So what's the difference buffalo farts or regular cow farts as far as methane production?
P.S. Buffalo is much better tasteing and better for your then beef..........
P.P.S. I have a 1.5lbs sirlion getting prepped for the grill...........

Meat Goat Production And Budgeting, AS-14-02
http://agalternatives.aers.psu.edu/P.../meat_goat.pdf
American Bison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-05-2008, 05:28 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Yes. Those figures are (as you probably noted in the original email) from California where much of the water must be brought to farms for irrigation all the way from the Sierra Nevada. Most of those valleys don't see nearly the rain you do in Maine.
Thanks. I have conflicting feelings about growing and raising food in places it can't be done naturally.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:54 PM

746 posts, read 2,176,006 times
I believe the current global economic situation will result in a decreased demand on meat products. Historically, many asian countries did not eat much red meat. It is only recently as their economic situation has improved that they adopted the western diet of eating larger quantities of meat. As people in the US and other countries have to live on tighter budgets, they will also cut down on expensive meat consumption. We have already done so in our household, though not entirely for economic reasons.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:17 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Actually Goat is the most consumed meat in the world followed closely by pork. I also believe that the bison herds of pre-industrial america were more plentiful then beef production of today. So what's the difference buffalo farts or regular cow farts as far as methane production?
P.S. Buffalo is much better tasteing and better for your then beef..........
P.P.S. I have a 1.5lbs sirlion getting prepped for the grill...........

Meat Goat Production And Budgeting, AS-14-02
http://agalternatives.aers.psu.edu/P.../meat_goat.pdf
American Bison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You beat me to it. I wondered about all the bison that existed back in the mid-1800s. The number I heard quoted was 12 million out on the prarie. If that's the case, we had a problem 150 years ago and didn't even know it. How did we survive to the 21st century in light of that?

I thought the article about global warming and moose in Scandinavia was pretty good. Now the poor moose is getting blamed.

BTW, throw another sirloin steak on the grill for me. I'm on my way over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living