Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:47 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times

Advertisements

I have already experienced the lies and deceit of the Miami-Dade code enforcement department, Team Metro. They fined my parents 250.00 for having compost barrells and storing rainwater. The funny thing is that the county has a rain barrell program offered:

http://miami-dade.ifas.ufl.edu/envir..._May08_001.pdf

Unfortunately the kangaroo court convicted my parents of having a barrell, and the appeals court did nothing but affirm the case. Is there anyone else who has been fighting code enforcement to maintain or develop a "green" home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 11:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Does your local TV station have a consumer reporter or "Green Beat" reporter?

Sounds like it times to go public and put Code Enforcement in the hot seat

Old 05-02-2008, 12:09 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,549,537 times
What were the specific issues with the barrel(s)?

Mosquito (health inspection claim) or appearance?

Just wondering what the underlying, root cause issues were supposed to be and if there is a path to mitigate it.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:49 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,465,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
What were the specific issues with the barrel(s)?

Mosquito (health inspection claim) or appearance?

Just wondering what the underlying, root cause issues were supposed to be and if there is a path to mitigate it.
That's what I'm wondering too.....what was Team Metro's complaint, Tallrick?

Do they have specific rules about the type of rain barrel used (no homemade rain barrels or something?)?

You really do need to move from there Tallrick, life is too short .

Old 05-02-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Does your local TV station have a consumer reporter or "Green Beat" reporter?

Sounds like it times to go public and put Code Enforcement in the hot seat
I have been trying to get them involved. Unfortunately the local media is not a bit interested in the actions of Team Metro. They routinely abuse and defraud the public with impunity.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
That's what I'm wondering too.....what was Team Metro's complaint, Tallrick?

Do they have specific rules about the type of rain barrel used (no homemade rain barrels or something?)?

You really do need to move from there Tallrick, life is too short .
The complaint just says "junk and trash". It referred to everything, my car (which I drive and visit my parents with) The compost barrells, the water storage barrells, the photo-bioreactor for growing algae, anything they see fit. No need to point out that my parent's home is the best-kept on the block and has a drip-irrigation system that keeps the lawn and plants green year round. After Team Metro harassed my parents I moved the photo-bioreactor and rain/compost barrells to my home and started using well water to irrigate their garden. Out of spite I increased the water use 800 percent. I hate Miami-Dade county so much that instead of saving litter, I just throw it on the road now. Miami-Dade county does not want to be green, it wants everyone's green!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The complaint just says "junk and trash". It referred to everything, my car (which I drive and visit my parents with) The compost barrells, the water storage barrells, the photo-bioreactor for growing algae, anything they see fit. No need to point out that my parent's home is the best-kept on the block and has a drip-irrigation system that keeps the lawn and plants green year round. After Team Metro harassed my parents I moved the photo-bioreactor and rain/compost barrells to my home and started using well water to irrigate their garden. Out of spite I increased the water use 800 percent. I hate Miami-Dade county so much that instead of saving litter, I just throw it on the road now. Miami-Dade county does not want to be green, it wants everyone's green!
I wonder if small fences or lattice - like the ones people put around their garbage cans - would suffice for the Metro? Then at least you could still use the compost and rain barrels.

Or maybe a high hedge in front of your house so no one needs to look at anything....that's probably what I'd do if my neighbors were complaining (it probably started with them, no?).

p.s. No littering! I know you must be kidding there...I can't see you being a litterbug, Rick .

Old 05-03-2008, 06:54 PM

None of the barrels were visible from the street, the inspector took pictures over the fence to locate them. The county will not allow a hedge over 4 feet, but i have a large cluster of banana trees that hide everything. Team Metro also likes to use cameras on a pole to see what's in your backyard, or zoom in to see what it inside your home. The front yard at my parent's home is always very clean, the best on the street,

Old 05-03-2008, 07:42 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Why would anyone want to live in a place with that sort of thing going on?

Old 05-04-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Team Metro also likes to use cameras on a pole to see what's in your backyard, or zoom in to see what it inside your home. The front yard at my parent's home is always very clean, the best on the street,
No way ! And this is the city doing this, right? I have never heard such a thing. We have property appraisers that drive around, but you usually only see them when you build a new house. I'm shocked to hear of these surveillance tactics and that they would give you a hard time for saving water?

Forget the hedge, you need a huge dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living