Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:16 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,751,086 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be exchanging gifts with some relatives who don't need much and are pretty low footprint folks. I'm going shopping later today and I've got some ideas in mind for useful green consumables - but if anyone has any suggestions for green/fair trade/hippie-ready gifts I'd love to hear them! What are YOU hoping for?

Past exchanges have included:
farmers market cookbook with a nutrition sustainability twist
baking dish
organic soaps
fair trade catalog gift cert.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 01:36 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Hey there...

For a truly "green" gift I wouldn't go shopping at all. Make them something nice... something edible, something to wear, tie-dye a pillowcase or bedding, make them a mix mp3 CD, take some cuttings from a plant and give it to them, put together a DIY picnic pack for them, make them a reading pillow, homemade potpourri, some homemade coupons or vouchers... like "Good for one movie date night" or "Good for one free cup of coffee at my place" or something like that... etc.

If you really want to buy something... buy them a native plant for their yard, or organic flowers, or donate to a charity in their name... buy them some carbon offset products... a book, a journal... go to a local craft fair where local artisans display and sell their creations and buy them something locally produces... sign them up for a CSA... give them a national forests pass or state parks pass or local botanical garden pass...

Happy gifting!

Old 12-23-2008, 07:56 AM

Thanks! Part of their gift is homemade treats, I do like to include that as cooking is one of my hobbies. I also ended up shopping at a natural foods store where I was able to get some goodies I think they'll enjoy.I LOVE the herb idea - I've got a garden and I'll have to do that next year!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:11 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
I'm sending my freshly dug horseradish with recipes on how to use it, pickles I've canned this year, and my "Drunken Sot" fruitcake to all my friends who request it year after year... Grin. No crystallized ANYTHING in it - real fruit, nuts, and rum and brandy...

Old 12-23-2008, 09:37 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,973 times
Default My Green Christmas Gifts

Buying my son a Coal Burning Anthracite Stoker Stove from the Reading Stove Company.

10 Cartons of Unfiltered Camel Cigarettes

Hummer SUV for my daughter and son in law

I will be clear cutting 2 acreas of our property and using the wood for our wood stove and selling it as well.

Finally I will have my 1972, 442, 4 barrel Oldsmobile!

Old 12-23-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Buying my son a Coal Burning Anthracite Stoker Stove from the Reading Stove Company.

10 Cartons of Unfiltered Camel Cigarettes

Hummer SUV for my daughter and son in law

I will be clear cutting 2 acreas of our property and using the wood for our wood stove and selling it as well.

Finally I will have my 1972, 442, 4 barrel Oldsmobile!
Wait a second... you must work for the EPA!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
Wait a second... you must work for the EPA!
Nope, I do honest work for an honest living and would never take a government job.

My wish for New years would be to dissolve the EPA and every cabinet post except for 3. Sec of State, Sec of Defense and Sec of the Treasury.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
My wish for New years would be to dissolve the EPA and every cabinet post except for 3. Sec of State, Sec of Defense and Sec of the Treasury.
I think you'll get that about the same time I get mine to not have any religious leaders at state functions.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
I think you'll get that about the same time I get mine to not have any religious leaders at state functions.
There is no need for state functions, as that is an oxymoron. As all governments only strive to being dysfunctional.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:11 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
Hey, CometVoyager, I'll trade you some fruitcake and some fresh-frozen deer meat for some of that wood! The woodpile is getting a little low here... gotta keep that castiron woodstove redhot. Ahhhhhh....
(The only reason the deer meat is fresh frozen is because it was killed when the temps were below 0 - and still are.)

You've got my vote for your redistribution of the gubbermint jobs, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living