Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:18 PM

269 posts, read 784,055 times

Advertisements

Something clicked in me last year. At one point, I had $30,000 in student loans, $12,000 in credit card debt (I didn't qualify for student loans my last semester, so I charged it), and a $5,000 loan I took out when I finished college. After a year with my new job, I was tired of all these monthly payments! It just seemed like I had a degree, a good job in engineering, but I wasn't living much different than when I was in college. I lived paycheck to paycheck

Last year, I decided to cut how much I spent, and I decided I should probably move closer to work. I had a 30 minute drive, so I moved within 5 minutes of work when my lease ended.

Cutting what I spent probably helped me the most. When I went grocery shopping, I went with a strict idea of what I was getting. I cut my grocery bill from $100/week to $30/week. Also, I stopped running up bar tabs on the weekends with my friends. Amazingly, cutting the 'nights out' on the weekends really helped my performance at work during the week. I am actually a morning person now!

Since I lived so close to work and it was the summer, I bought a bicycle and decided to ride over one day. I loved it! I had to splash my face off when I got to work, but it was only 4 miles and I felt refreshed afterwards. Also, I was getting an hour of exercise a day without touching the gym.

It transformed my life. I rode past gas stations posting $4.00+/gal gas, and while everyone was panicking, I felt unaffected. Since I was so frugal with what I spent, I didn't accumulate so much crap in the house, and now my place is always clean. I took a new respect toward life. I no longer go shopping mindlessly, I stick to only what I need. And since I buy only what I need, I have the extra money to buy something quality that will last longer, or is somewhat sustainable. I shop organic, made in the US, recycled, etc.

Now for the best part? That debt...it is down to $4,000 total. I will be debt free coming in February, and I can't wait! My next goal is to save up for a house. Now that I don't have all these monthly payments, and I buy less but buy quality, I feel like I'm doing very well! My advice about this recession, perhaps what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 08:20 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,833 times
Congrats, Alex! Well done. Always good to have a new perspective on things - opens doors.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:22 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,939 times
Some of us live like this whether there is a recession or not. I've been living simply for years, both when my income was higher and lower. Simplification solved one of mental breakdowns, and I wouldn't go back to the high life of consumerism for anything.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:44 PM

402 posts, read 1,266,597 times
Congrat Alex, I first started just like you. It's a tough decision to cut back like that at first because you feel like you just cut your quality of life. You see all your friends just spending the extra money they have instead of paying off debt, moving closer to work might have even meant even moving farther from your friends?, you have less "junk food" laying around the house.

You really don't notice just how much you waste (financially and physically) until you take the steps like you did. And you quickly realize that your quality of life actually goes up in the end and unfortunately your friends will still be in the same boat 5 years from now.

Great job, and good luck on that house when you finally decide to do it... then you'll be looking around wondering what you can spend money on now in the house that will save you money on your monthly bills and consequently cut your carbon footprint.

Congrats again, always glad to hear when people are doing well for themselves and the environment at the same time. It's too bad other people don't realize it can be a symbiotic thing.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:36 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Congratulations. Living debt free is a great feeling. Undoes a lot of stress. Its amazing when you pull yourself away from the consumer spending culture that is pounded into our heads.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:46 PM

43 posts, read 43,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderaf View Post
Something clicked in me last year. At one point, I had $30,000 in student loans, $12,000 in credit card debt (I didn't qualify for student loans my last semester, so I charged it), and a $5,000 loan I took out when I finished college. After a year with my new job, I was tired of all these monthly payments! It just seemed like I had a degree, a good job in engineering, but I wasn't living much different than when I was in college. I lived paycheck to paycheck

Last year, I decided to cut how much I spent, and I decided I should probably move closer to work. I had a 30 minute drive, so I moved within 5 minutes of work when my lease ended.

Cutting what I spent probably helped me the most. When I went grocery shopping, I went with a strict idea of what I was getting. I cut my grocery bill from $100/week to $30/week. Also, I stopped running up bar tabs on the weekends with my friends. Amazingly, cutting the 'nights out' on the weekends really helped my performance at work during the week. I am actually a morning person now!

Since I lived so close to work and it was the summer, I bought a bicycle and decided to ride over one day. I loved it! I had to splash my face off when I got to work, but it was only 4 miles and I felt refreshed afterwards. Also, I was getting an hour of exercise a day without touching the gym.

It transformed my life. I rode past gas stations posting $4.00+/gal gas, and while everyone was panicking, I felt unaffected. Since I was so frugal with what I spent, I didn't accumulate so much crap in the house, and now my place is always clean. I took a new respect toward life. I no longer go shopping mindlessly, I stick to only what I need. And since I buy only what I need, I have the extra money to buy something quality that will last longer, or is somewhat sustainable. I shop organic, made in the US, recycled, etc.

Now for the best part? That debt...it is down to $4,000 total. I will be debt free coming in February, and I can't wait! My next goal is to save up for a house. Now that I don't have all these monthly payments, and I buy less but buy quality, I feel like I'm doing very well! My advice about this recession, perhaps what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.
Well congrats. Interestly, I took the exact opposite route. I got a job and discovered that I loved eating out, buying toys, and whatever I wanted. However, my finanaces couldn't match my spendin. I quit my job and started my own company over 13 years ago. I drove constantly to make for money and increase my expendable income. I now have RV, three trucks, 4wheelers, motorcycles and virtually everything else a man could want. I eat out nearly daily and really am not wealthy, but not wanting either. I will retire at the age of 40. So my point is there are actually two options, one to cut spending, or the other to increase your personal revenue. Both can help you with finances, but the latter is much more fun.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:17 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,979 times
Now if only we can get the Federal Government to figure out they can't spend more than they take in!

OP has realized early what it take most of us years to figure out. Good for you.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:44 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Way to go!!!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:05 PM

128 posts, read 362,649 times
alexanderaf -

Amen to every word you wrote! As a lifelong proponent of "enjoying life more by spending/consuming less," I couldn't have said it better myself. As I'm fond of saying these days, "I hope the current market corrections will trigger some long overdue lifestyle corrections for a lot of Americans." Frugality is not about sacrifice, it's about choices, and the ironinc thing is that most of the time spending/consuming less makes you happier.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:11 PM

840 posts, read 3,467,729 times
Excellent post, OP!! Enjoyed reading the others posts, also.

It has made me seek ways to others more since I see that we are all in the same boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living