Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 06:54 AM

593 posts, read 2,439,841 times

Advertisements

If you're a regular reader of the Environmental Leader blog, you might have seen this article about Keds Green Label shoes:
http://www.environmentalleader.com/2...s-green-label/

It is pretty interesting how they are able to use so many different recycled material to make these things--but the shoelaces surprised me the most...they are made of 100% recycled plastic bottles!

This makes me curious - what else could be made out of recycled plastic bottles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 10:55 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
If you're a regular reader of the Environmental Leader blog, you might have seen this article about Keds Green Label shoes:
Keds Unveils Green Label · Environmental Leader · Green Business, Sustainable Business, and Green Strategy News for Corporate Sustainability Executives

It is pretty interesting how they are able to use so many different recycled material to make these things--but the shoelaces surprised me the most...they are made of 100% recycled plastic bottles!

This makes me curious - what else could be made out of recycled plastic bottles?
Indoor/outdoor carpeting. A lot of stuff is made out of recycled plastic bottles actually. The real question is, why doesn't EVERY state in the nation have a bottle redemption system up and running?

Old 03-13-2009, 11:44 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
If
Polartec fleece ( used in jackets, base layers, pet beds etc....)

Old 03-19-2009, 04:09 PM

593 posts, read 2,439,841 times
You're right about the bottle deposits, brokentap. I grew up in MA, and my brother and I used to always look forward to taking our family's recycling to the grocery store. Definitely a good habit to get into!

What is also interesting about those shoes made of plastic bottles is that they also plant 1 tree for every pair sold. It's a partnership set up btwn Keds and the Arbor Day Foundation, which is a pretty cool idea.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:07 PM

32,934 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Do they plant the tree in China where the Keds are made?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living