Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2016, 02:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Venezuela does. China does. Russia does. Romania does. Ecuador and Nigeria do. Algeria, Congo, Taiwan, and various countries on the Arabian Peninsula do. Lots of developing countries have refineries.
Right. My bad. I don't automatically think of Venezuela and China as 'underdeveloped'. Still, its a stretch, a real stretch, to think that several billion cars, trucks, diesel locomotives, container ships, weed whackers, hedge trimmers, etc, etc, and etc. don't have any effect on the carbon content of the atmosphere. And we aren't even getting to the part where I suggest that it might not even be the carbon...

See... the way Leisesturm looks at the whole AGW thing is like this: The earth is analogous to a human body. I.e. its overall temperature is determined by a combination of internal heat production (core temperature maintained by metabolic processes) and external heat input from the environment. In a cold enough environment, even the most active metabolism will be insufficient to maintain an adequate core temperature and the human will suffer hypothermia and may die. Insulating clothing can help in that respect.

The planet has a runaway metabolism and we are trying to keep things under control by shedding our clothing. Carbon dioxide reduction takes away insulation but it does nothing to address the rampant heat production of the many industrial and transportation processes at are dumping massive amounts of BTU's into the atmosphere. And this insistence that our puny efforts at civilization cannot possibliy affect a system as large as our planet is disingenuous at best. We can indeed affect our planet because the things we have done and are doing have been going on for decades. 100 years in some cases.

Its all about the fact that investor types of which City-Data has more than a critical mass of don't want any slowing of the pace of their dividends. They know they are trashing the planet and leaving future generations for dead but they can't bring themselves to care. If a way could be found to make money at saving the planet, they would be all over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 02:20 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
51 years of living by the ocean. When exactly is the water supposed to rise? I will continue to watch things from the beach to let you know if anything changes. All for now.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
51 years of living by the ocean. When exactly is the water supposed to rise? I will continue to watch things from the beach to let you know if anything changes. All for now.
North America will be one of the last areas to be hit. Coastal Marshall islands are already uninhabitable. Coastal Hawaii is next. I know, I know... sounds fantastic. It really is happening though. 280 dead Hatians... sigh... I don't know why any of you insist so strongly that we all keep having children if we care so little for how they are going to live!

Old 10-08-2016, 10:43 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
51 years of living by the ocean. When exactly is the water supposed to rise?
Probably not in your lifetime but likely in your grandchildren's lives. You do care about the world that is left to your grandkids, yes?

AGW is difficult because it is slow to accumulate, its effects won't be felt for a couple of generations, and it is easy to ignore. But it is far easier to mitigate AGW now rather than wait until its effects are more prominent.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:24 AM

Correction. 900 dead Hatians. Category 4 and Category 5 hurricanes will be routine. In the U.S. as well. We haven't cleaned up completely from Katrina or Sandy. When storms like that are yearly! What then? People think that its the temperature rise or the sea level rise... you guys have no clue. The political and economic instability of worsening climate effects is what will destroy humanity. It doesn't have to get all that extreme to completely undo the social and moral foundations of civilization. Capitalism cannot tolerate even the slightest amount of commodity increases due to scarcity. Gas retail prices hit $5.00/gal a few years ago and people died in the riots and line jumping and thefts. When that is constant? That won't take 100 years. More like 50. In 100 years humanity. First world humanity, will be gone. There will not be an extant America in 100 years.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:41 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
1. Meteorologists cannot accurately tell me what the weather will be tomorrow
2. In the 70s we were told that we were going to have an ice age in the future
3. The earth has gone through many freezes and thaws long before we came along
4. Has anyone noticed that once economies start flagging a new industry is "born"

I'm not saying we shouldn't do what we can to minimize our footprint, but you aren't the first group with a cause to "save the world" from "impending doom."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-09-2016, 05:52 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Right. My bad. I don't automatically think of Venezuela and China as 'underdeveloped'. Still, its a stretch, a real stretch, to think that several billion cars, trucks, diesel locomotives, container ships, weed whackers, hedge trimmers, etc, etc, and etc. don't have any effect on the carbon content of the atmosphere. And we aren't even getting to the part where I suggest that it might not even be the carbon...

See... the way Leisesturm looks at the whole AGW thing is like this: The earth is analogous to a human body. I.e. its overall temperature is determined by a combination of internal heat production (core temperature maintained by metabolic processes) and external heat input from the environment. In a cold enough environment, even the most active metabolism will be insufficient to maintain an adequate core temperature and the human will suffer hypothermia and may die. Insulating clothing can help in that respect.

The planet has a runaway metabolism and we are trying to keep things under control by shedding our clothing. Carbon dioxide reduction takes away insulation but it does nothing to address the rampant heat production of the many industrial and transportation processes at are dumping massive amounts of BTU's into the atmosphere. And this insistence that our puny efforts at civilization cannot possibliy affect a system as large as our planet is disingenuous at best. We can indeed affect our planet because the things we have done and are doing have been going on for decades. 100 years in some cases.

Its all about the fact that investor types of which City-Data has more than a critical mass of don't want any slowing of the pace of their dividends. They know they are trashing the planet and leaving future generations for dead but they can't bring themselves to care. If a way could be found to make money at saving the planet, they would be all over it.
I agree with you, but I don't get your earlier point. Are you saying that "investor types of which C-D has more than a critical mass" are trying to put the blame on developing countries? I don't think that's what was being said. Everyone's refineries, coal-fired energy plants, factories, etc. contribute.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
1. Meteorologists cannot accurately tell me what the weather will be tomorrow
2. In the 70s we were told that we were going to have an ice age in the future
3. The earth has gone through many freezes and thaws long before we came along
4. Has anyone noticed that once economies start flagging a new industry is "born"

I'm not saying we shouldn't do what we can to minimize our footprint, but you aren't the first group with a cause to "save the world" from "impending doom."
The 70's were when global warming predictions first went public, and it was said that the increase would become exponential if something weren't done about it soon; forest fires would become common, which would contribute heat and C02 to the atmosphere, accelerating the process, and it would all feed on itself. And here we are.

However, the ice age part is also true; when enough of the Greenland ice sheet melts (and it's doing so now much faster than anyone expected), it will stop the Gulf Stream (which is already slowed from its normal pace), and throw the north Atlantic into a mini-ice age. That just may save the situation, or, if warming will have increased enough before that occurs to overcome that ice age process, it might be only a short correction. Still, we can hope. The planet has shown self-correcting flip-flops like that before. We'll find out when we get there.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:02 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Global warming has been countered by large volcanic eruptions. The gas reflects the sun's rays back out, giving a few years of cooling temperatures. It's one of the ideas of how to counter global warming if it does become a problem.

I don't remember all the details (it's from Freakonomics or something), but the idea would take like 10M (cheap) and would be easy to execute with current technology.

I think it's part of the human psyche to need a doom prediction, which goes well with the need for a god(s).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-09-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Global warming has been countered by large volcanic eruptions. The gas reflects the sun's rays back out, giving a few years of cooling temperatures. It's one of the ideas of how to counter global warming if it does become a problem.

I don't remember all the details (it's from Freakonomics or something), but the idea would take like 10M (cheap) and would be easy to execute with current technology.

I think it's part of the human psyche to need a doom prediction, which goes well with the need for a god(s).
Well, they say that the ice sheet meltoff will cause more isostatic rebound of the continents, which will have the domino effect of causing more seismic activity. So that may trigger volcanic eruptions automatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living